• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#101 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

He's worth it if we don't have a chance at any of the UFAs, If we do let him walk and try and give that 4.5mil + to guys like Perry, Semin, Horton, Smid, Lubo, or hell even Iginla.

In a perfect world I'd rather see KH keep Filp and buy out/trade Franzen in order to make spaces for any UFAs, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

I'm in the boat too that Franzen would be better to trade than Flip.  Give Flip 3.8-4 mil per for a few years and then assess him again then.  He is a really good 2-way player who hustles and his only real knock is that he needs to shoot more...way more. Franzen on the other hand, while he had a good stretch of games this year, he's back to his lazy self.  He stopped hitting, he's taking weak ass shots and he doesn't hustle in the least.  I say try and trade Franzen to Calgary for a 1st round pick if they'll give it up.  I don't care if we get anything else other than a 1st cause that would give us a good shot at getting a pick close enough to get Ryan Pulock and it'll free up a roster spot to keep Tatar and maybe bring up Nyquist, both of which also hustle and don't piss off the general population of LGW.  So as far as i'm concerned, that would be win-win.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#102 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

First I've heard of a number being floated around.  See the second item on the link below.  So what happens if Flip wants "$4.5m or so in a new deal"?

http://blogs.edmonto...in-los-angeles/

Let him go

#103 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Let him go

That depends. We need o find out about Datsyuk first. Is he staying or going home. If he is staying then you can let Filppula go-trade him. If Datsyuk is going then resign Fil and we still have money left over for another player.

#104 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

I still maintain that both Filppula and Franize are our most tradable assets.  Whether it be for a player or just picks.  As it stands right now, both are very replaceable with our kids that are ready. Tatar will score more than Franzine in a couple of season and Brunner more than replaces Filppula.  That being said, I find it hard to believe Holland would trade either of them...please prove me wrong Kenny...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#105 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

I still maintain that both Filppula and Franize are our most tradable assets.  Whether it be for a player or just picks.  As it stands right now, both are very replaceable with our kids that are ready. Tatar will score more than Franzine in a couple of season and Brunner more than replaces Filppula.  That being said, I find it hard to believe Holland would trade either of them...please prove me wrong Kenny...

really dude...Brunner more than replaces Filppula? what kind of crack are you smoking son

#106 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

really dude...Brunner more than replaces Filppula? what kind of crack are you smoking son

Yes dude....Brunner you read it correctly.  If Franzine was traded today, his (lack of) offense would not be missed.  Brunner more than makes up for it.  Give both of them a full 82 games and Brunner out scores Franzine by at least 15 goals. You can mark it, bet on it and take it to the bank...

Not that you need a lesson in math, but Franzine current 3 goals in 15 games prorates to 17ish over 82 games...Brunner's 10 in 22 games prorates to 37ish goals...Franzine brings nothing else to the table, he plays smaller than Brunner despite being 6' whatever and 200 and whatever pounds...watch a game now and then....

#107 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

As much as I'd love to keep Flip, with the cap dropping next season anything more than 4 million is too much.  If he wants that much, wait for Babcock to bring up Nyquist and turn him into a centre.  I have a feeling that Flip will get a 3 year 12 million contract or he won't be a Wing next season.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#108 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

As much as I'd love to keep Flip, with the cap dropping next season anything more than 4 million is too much.  If he wants that much, wait for Babcock to bring up Nyquist and turn him into a centre.  I have a feeling that Flip will get a 3 year 12 million contract or he won't be a Wing next season.

Buy outs will help a bit on that front.  Replace Sammy's $3m with Nyquist at $875k & maybe Carlo's $2.5m for Lashoff at $725k.  That now gives the Wings ~$22.4m to spend on probably 3 forwards, 3 d-men, & a goalie.  The Wings will have 5 UFA/RFA forwards going into the off season & I would think the priority might be to sign Brunner first though I think Andersson will be locked up sooner given that he's an RFA.  God forbid we have another "sign Mule or Hossa" situation happen between Brunner & Flip for everyone to ***** about for the next 5 years if the Wings lose one of them.  Even worse, God forbid Cleary is one of the 3 re-signed.

#109 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Flip isn't worth more than he's making now. Any raise would be based on the anticipation of future growth, which isn't going to happen. He has never broken out and is already in his prime. Is rather trade him for something than let him walk for nothing, but as you've all established, its going to be hard to do that.

And if it's between him and Brunner, then it's a no brainer. Brunner brings more to the table than a competent center.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#110 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Flip isn't worth more than he's making now. Any raise would be based on the anticipation of future growth, which isn't going to happen. He has never broken out and is already in his prime. Is rather trade him for something than let him walk for nothing, but as you've all established, its going to be hard to do that.

And if it's between him and Brunner, then it's a no brainer. Brunner brings more to the table than a competent center.

And the only time Flip has shown any offensive touch is when playing the wing, not center.  Sure he brings a lot to the table as a solid 2-way player but the Wings need someone who can put the puck in the net.  

#111 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

And the only time Flip has shown any offensive touch is when playing the wing, not center.  Sure he brings a lot to the table as a solid 2-way player but the Wings need someone who can put the puck in the net.  

I agree. I like Flip  but with Andersson, Helm and Sheahan near ready, we have a nice crop of centers already. I would like to get a couple REAL wingers and scorers in here.  Tatar is a LW and ready, Nyquist is a natural LW...if we could get a high scoring RW in here that would be great! Brunner is showing good so far, get one more to hook up with Dats and we could make some noise...

I am not sure Flip would bring us that scorer, but you never know.  I have always wanted Ryan or Perry here, but the Ducks are doing very well and would probably be looking to move picks instead of players.  I wonder if Calgary would interested in Filppula?

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#112 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I like Val, but he doesnt score. We need goals.

#113 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I agree. I like Flip  but with Andersson, Helm and Sheahan near ready, we have a nice crop of centers already. I would like to get a couple REAL wingers and scorers in here.  Tatar is a LW and ready, Nyquist is a natural LW...if we could get a high scoring RW in here that would be great! Brunner is showing good so far, get one more to hook up with Dats and we could make some noise...

I am not sure Flip would bring us that scorer, but you never know.  I have always wanted Ryan or Perry here, but the Ducks are doing very well and would probably be looking to move picks instead of players.  I wonder if Calgary would interested in Filppula?

And with the kids in GR either being ready now or in the next season or two, it's less about what the Wings can get back in trading Flip but what they may be losing out of in continuing to play him in a top 6 role if he's going to cap out at 40 points a season.  If he really wants $4.5m a season, is that money better spent with a $875k Nyquist or $840k Tatar in his spot if he's going to be a winger or a $900k Calle Jarnkrok at center and using the rest of the money somewhere else?  It's really coming down to opportunity cost as they continue to wait for Filppula to finally become that "star player" they thought he could be.

#114 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Agreed!

I'd rather spend that money on securing Brunner.  Flip may not garner a scorer, but he would fetch a pretty nice draft pick...

#115 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Filpulla's money will go towards re-signing Cleary #bigfreeagentsplash2013

:ninja:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#116 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Filpulla's money will go towards re-signing Cleary #bigfreeagentsplash2013

:ninja:

If this happens (Cleary re-signed and Fil out) I will personally find Holland and commit him to a mental institution

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#117 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

If this happens (Cleary re-signed and Fil out) I will personally find Holland and commit him to a mental institution

You might have to wait until he recovers from having his legs broken by the rest of LGW.

#118 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Will Filppula be playing tonight?

#119 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Will Filppula be playing tonight?

No line-up changes tonight so no.

#120 Johan93

Johan93

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Wings trying to re-sign Filppula before the end of the season, but Filppula wants more than $5M.  :lol:

http://www.mlive.com...gress_in_c.html