• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#121 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Wings trying to re-sign Filppula before the end of the season, but Filppula wants more than $5M.  :lol:

http://www.mlive.com...gress_in_c.html

LOL WOW  its time to let him go and hopefully holland is smart and deals him at the deadline , im hopeful we might find a contending team who would take him for a 1st round pick seeing as past rentals have fetched a 1st

not happy about howard hopefully its 6 years and not 7 for like 4.75 per but with howard at least i think we"d be able to find a trading partner for his services when mrazek is ready

as for brunner id be ok with something like 10 million for 3 years

#122 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Wings trying to re-sign Filppula before the end of the season, but Filppula wants more than $5M.  :lol:

http://www.mlive.com...gress_in_c.html

Filp played really good last night, especially for not playing for 7 games. He did get an assist on one of the Flames goals though, just randomly dishing it to mid ice within our zone... But, it honestly looked the best he's been in awhile, atleast in my opinion. Is he worth 5+mil/season? Eh, not so much, especially when he knows the cap is going down. What I don't get is all these players want all this money, but if you wanted your team to win.. you'd be willing to take a lower paycheck inorder to bring in more talent. Look at frickin Crosby who took a discount. I'm sorry, but if the best player in the world is willing to take a discount for their team, you better be frickin willing to take a discount for yours, because you sure as hell ain't no Crosby.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#123 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Filp played really good last night, especially for not playing for 7 games. He did get an assist on one of the Flames goals though, just randomly dishing it to mid ice within our zone... But, it honestly looked the best he's been in awhile, atleast in my opinion. Is he worth 5+mil/season? Eh, not so much, especially when he knows the cap is going down. What I don't get is all these players want all this money, but if you wanted your team to win.. you'd be willing to take a lower paycheck inorder to bring in more talent. Look at frickin Crosby who took a discount. I'm sorry, but if the best player in the world is willing to take a discount for their team, you better be frickin willing to take a discount for yours, because you sure as hell ain't no Crosby.

Crosby? He is making 12 mil a year for the next three years, I'm sure the "discount" he is taking is hurting his wallet oh so much...

#124 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Crosby? He is making 12 mil a year for the next three years, I'm sure the "discount" he is taking is hurting his wallet oh so much...

Huh?

Sidney Crosby:

2012-13 $7,500,000 $7,500,000 $0 $8,700,000

and then...

2013-14 $12,000,000 $12,000,000 $0 $0 $8,700,000
2014-15 $12,000,000 $12,000,000 $0 $0 $8,700,000

he's still only hitting 8.7 in the cap hit and for the best player in the world... yeah... that's a discount. Look at Ovi.

Edited by evilzyme, 14 March 2013 - 01:13 PM.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#125 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I swear to God, if Filpulla is going to be our Datsyuk replacement, I'll break something. 

I'm not going to freak out yet, though.  It's only natural that Holland would offer Flip a contract as a courtesy.  If he doesn't have a deal to trade him lined up, why not? Flip isn't great and doesn't really make this team dangerous, but he doesn't hurt it either.  But I hope Holland has the good sense to know not to give him a raise.  I'm tired of seeing contracts based on potential future output.  He's not a prospect anymore.  He's a competent second line center, but not a standout one.  That's all.  He doesn't have any sort of killer scoring instinct, and his playmaking, while sometimes brilliant, is only average most of the time.

He's defensively strong most of the time, but again--not a standout.

Sooner or later this team needs a shakeup, and Filppula needs to be tops on that list, if only because he's our only tradable commodity.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#126 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I swear to God, if Filpulla is going to be our Datsyuk replacement, I'll break something. 

I'm not going to freak out yet, though.  It's only natural that Holland would offer Flip a contract as a courtesy.  If he doesn't have a deal to trade him lined up, why not? Flip isn't great and doesn't really make this team dangerous, but he doesn't hurt it either.  But I hope Holland has the good sense to know not to give him a raise.  I'm tired of seeing contracts based on potential future output.  He's not a prospect anymore.  He's a competent second line center, but not a standout one.  That's all.  He doesn't have any sort of killer scoring instinct, and his playmaking, while sometimes brilliant, is only average most of the time.

Sooner or later this team needs a shakeup, and Filppula needs to be tops on that list, if only because he's our only tradable commodity.

The only thing that scares me about losing Filp is losing Pasha along with him. We lose Filp, it doesn't hurt as much if Pasha re-signs on another 1-2 years because he can play the 2nd line center. If we lose Filp and Pasha, then we're SOL on a 2nd line center and they don't come easy. I'm frustrated as much as anyone else when it comes and came to the development of Filp, every year we thought it was going to be "his year." What scares me is that he's going to play lights out, like any other player would in a contract year, sign his contract and call it a day. If he keeps his level up from yesterday, I personally thought he was one of the better forwards out there. That is, also neglecting the fact that he had an assist on one of the Flames goals. 

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#127 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have always been in the "keep Flip" camp, but IF the reports are true that he is asking for more than 5 mil per on a new contract and thus will likely walk anyway when the Wings refuse to bend over, I would rather get something for him now than be left empty-handed as he walks away giving us the one gun salute...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#128 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

If we trade Filppula this year, and lose Datsyuk next year...I think Jarnkrok will be more than capable of stepping into the lineup as the 2nd line center for the 2014-15 season.

Does anyone agree?

Edited by robb himself, 14 March 2013 - 03:51 PM.

be about it!

#129 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

If we trade Filppula this year, and lose Datsyuk next year...I think Jarnkrok will be more than capable of stepping into the lineup as the 2nd line center for the 2014-15 season.

Does anyone agree?

They project that he will be coming to America next year, whether it be directly to the big show or the Griffs, is to be decided. I think it revolves around what our situation will look like going into next season. We'll probably give him a go at training camp and possibly pre-season but it's more realistic that he comes in at the 14-15 season. He's a great playmaker, skater, and can play in the top six, i'm just unsure of how fast he can get within the top 6.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#130 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

They project that he will be coming to America next year, whether it be directly to the big show or the Griffs, is to be decided. I think it revolves around what our situation will look like going into next season. We'll probably give him a go at training camp and possibly pre-season but it's more realistic that he comes in at the 14-15 season. He's a great playmaker, skater, and can play in the top six, i'm just unsure of how fast he can get within the top 6.

One of the reasons I would like to see Sheahan get a chance with the big club this season.  The organization has him pegged as high as being a 2nd line center if his offense continues to develop like it has already in GR.  Send Andersson down for a spell & let's see what Riley can do for a handful of games.

#131 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have always been in the "keep Flip" camp, but IF the reports are true that he is asking for more than 5 mil per on a new contract and thus will likely walk anyway when the Wings refuse to bend over, I would rather get something for him now than be left empty-handed as he walks away giving us the one gun salute...

im pretty certain wed be able to get a 1st round pick for him ....boston and pittsburgh will be fighting eachother for iginla the team that loses out we can ship filppula to them who will be deemed valuable since hes a cup winner and is from detroit (especially if the ducks keep perry)

i think i might consider trading him to maybe canucks in a few weeks if his game doesnt come around , canucks are lacking a 2nd line center for the longest time and kesler is gone maybe theyd take a chance? ... on the upside there 1st round pick wouldnt be 28-30th

One of the reasons I would like to see Sheahan get a chance with the big club this season.  The organization has him pegged as high as being a 2nd line center if his offense continues to develop like it has already in GR.  Send Andersson down for a spell & let's see what Riley can do for a handful of games.

id keep him down he's in his 1st season in the ahl i wouldnt wanna rush him too much maybe call him up at some point next year ... i still think we should develop the kids just not over exagerate and keep a kid with promise like tatar down for 4 years

#132 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Huh?

Sidney Crosby:

2012-13 $7,500,000 $7,500,000 $0 — $8,700,000

and then...

2013-14 $12,000,000 $12,000,000 $0 $0 $8,700,000
2014-15 $12,000,000 $12,000,000 $0 $0 $8,700,000

he's still only hitting 8.7 in the cap hit and for the best player in the world... yeah... that's a discount. Look at Ovi.

I said next three years, not this year... *sigh*

The ONLY reason his cap hit is 8.7 is because the last 3 years of his 12 year deal are 3 million, he will average 10.5 million/year till then

#133 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Since the NHL salary cap works based on average annual salary, there's still no denying that Crosby's contract is a discount.  Who cares what he's making the next three years?  Imagine if he pushed for market value...

Since players (naturally) try to earn as much money as they can when their contract is up, sometimes I think it's best to aim for the players still establishing themselves in the league.  I'd rather have a low-risk investment that's easy to bury in the books if things go wrong than a high-price bust you're saddled with until the end of time (even on a former-star like Ovechkin).  And for the record, paying in excess of $5 million a year for Filppula would be a mistake.

#134 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Since the NHL salary cap works based on average annual salary, there's still no denying that Crosby's contract is a discount.  Who cares what he's making the next three years?  Imagine if he pushed for market value...

Since players (naturally) try to earn as much money as they can when their contract is up, sometimes I think it's best to aim for the players still establishing themselves in the league.  I'd rather have a low-risk investment that's easy to bury in the books if things go wrong than a high-price bust you're saddled with until the end of time (even on a former-star like Ovechkin).  And for the record, paying in excess of $5 million a year for Filppula would be a mistake.

well we agree on something, filppula shouldn't get 5mil, and Ovechkin is underperforming.

Ovechkins cap hit is 9.5 because every year he makes between 9-10 mil. Ovechkin doesn't make 12 mil any year, Crosby does and when he is 35 he will be making 3mil. If you take out the last 3 years of hiis contract his cap hit is 10.56 mil. Any team he went to would have circumvented the cap the same way, Crosby isn't taking a "team discount" the team was circumventing the cap so they could pay him the money he was commanding but not have a crazy cap hit. Zetterberg has the same thing in his contract, that was why they had the lockout, to try and save them from themselves

#135 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Thing is, even if you think he's only a 40 point player, his market value is still probably north of $4M. If he finishes strong and ends up near 30 points then $5M+. Maybe a bit of a discount if it's 7 or 8 years, but then again, look at Zajac.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back, though I'd prefer 3-4 years max. Not much looks to be available on the UFA market, and I really doubt Perry will be both available and interested. Flip gives some insurance at center, and flexibility in the lines. Wouldn't mind seeing him traded either, especially if we could get a 1st for him. We do need to open up some roster spots.

Edited by Buppy, 14 March 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#136 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Just out of Curiosity, not even sure if SJ would even be interested, but going East we need to get bigger and get some grit... and idea what Clowe is looking for contract wise? I think in the long run he has shown offensive upside, he has shown size and grit and he could be a good force on a Line of Datsyuk and Brunner/Franzen. I'm not saying they are going to take a straight up deal or we want one but I am curious what he is looking at after last season not performing and this season struggling as well. A new environment could help him.

#137 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

well we agree on something, filppula shouldn't get 5mil, and Ovechkin is underperforming.

Ovechkins cap hit is 9.5 because every year he makes between 9-10 mil. Ovechkin doesn't make 12 mil any year, Crosby does and when he is 35 he will be making 3mil. If you take out the last 3 years of hiis contract his cap hit is 10.56 mil. Any team he went to would have circumvented the cap the same way, Crosby isn't taking a "team discount" the team was circumventing the cap so they could pay him the money he was commanding but not have a crazy cap hit. Zetterberg has the same thing in his contract, that was why they had the lockout, to try and save them from themselves

Of course they're circumventing the cap, in the same way that teams have been doing for years.  But there's a difference: those low cap hits kick in when he's 34 years old.  Do you think he's going to be playing at that age?  I do.  His contract runs until he's 37, and unless he's banking on a new provision in future negotiations that lets him restructure his deal, he'll actually play out his contract.  It is without question a discount.  Zach Parise just grabbed $7.5 million a year for 13-years, which helped to set the market this last off-season.  Do you think he's only $1.2 million a year away in value from Crosby?  

#138 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

Of course they're circumventing the cap, in the same way that teams have been doing for years.  But there's a difference: those low cap hits kick in when he's 34 years old.  Do you think he's going to be playing at that age?  I do.  His contract runs until he's 37, and unless he's banking on a new provision in future negotiations that lets him restructure his deal, he'll actually play out his contract.  It is without question a discount.  Zach Parise just grabbed $7.5 million a year for 13-years, which helped to set the market this last off-season.  Do you think he's only $1.2 million a year away in value from Crosby?  

Pretty close, yeah. It may not be "fair", but players aren't paid by the point. If star players have to be valued relative to Crosby, then lesser players relative to them, and so on...half the players in the league would be paying the owners.

Teams need stars and there's only so many to go around. Parise may be more valuable to Minnesota than Crosby is to Pittsburgh.

That said, had Corsby waited to hit the open market, the best he could get is ~$90M over 7 years. He's currently getting $76.8M. Decent discount, but added security of a longer deal. (Which could prove pretty valuable, given that he's already had a serious concussion issue.)

#139 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Why do people think Datsyuk is not going to re-sign with the team? Has anyone heard him say that he doesnt want to re-sign? All this talk of Flippula replacing him or trading Flipp is bogus. Flippula will most likely not be with us next season especially if free agency is not deep at centers and is asking price is too much.

Honestly, I wouldn't sign him if he wants 6+ a season. He has no confidence when he has the puck, he's a pass-first player and were not looking for that. Were looking for a role player (not skills wise) that can step in like Zetts and Dats. That is our biggest issue on offense. 

tomastatar.png

#140 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

The talk of Dats leaving is unsourced garbage. I'd put as much faith in that as Pope Jon Paul retaining the papacy.

Fil has become expendable, It sucks, I love him, but that's business. He's a pass first center that we already have enough of. Moving him in a package for a scorer or a power forward is the smart decision. At the same time I would hate to have him leave though.