• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#161 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I don't know anything about this Pulock kid but he seems to be getting a lot of buzz, which means two things. 1) I should look into him, 2) Detroit will never draft him lol.

He's slated to go mid 1st round.  Plays for Brandon in the WHL and they are truly terrible this year.  He's the only bright spot on a rebuilding team.  He'd be the perfect piece to move to a contender at the deadline unless he is eligible for another year of Jr, which i'm not sure on, but he's damn good and he's a decent size.

http://www.mynhldraf...les/Ryan-Pulock  

there's his NHL scouting report.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#162 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

To everyone dogging Filppula, hes scoring more at even strength per minute than all forwards except Datsyuk, and that's him having a s***ty year.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#163 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

To everyone dogging Filppula, hes scoring more at even strength per minute than all forwards except Datsyuk, and that's him having a s***ty year.

Imagine if he only shot more, thats what I think most people have a problem with. I know that is my issue with him, he's a good player but until he plays like last year I don't think he is worth 5 million dollars. Right now he looks like the 40-45 point Flip from previous years.

#164 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Agreed. Flip was clearly injured at the start of the year and then had the injury. He has been playing awesome hockey and except the terrible giveaway against Calgary, he seems to be playing with a ton of passion, fire and intensity. Back to back goal games and a sweet pass last night to Z. Flip is a much more valuable player on this team than people think.....I hope he resigns and Detroit pays the guy what he's worth!

Edited by Motown4013, 17 March 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#165 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I know this will never happen, and I don't mean to entertain the idea that it would, but just out of curiosity would any of you trade Franzen+Kronwall+Nyquist+1st for Ovie?  Moreover, would the Caps take it?

I would take a gamble on a deal like that. Considering the play of Ovechkin lately, they should at least listen. I guess it depends on how fed up they are with him. Perhaps if management was swapped out so the prestige would not be a factor.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#166 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I know this will never happen, and I don't mean to entertain the idea that it would, but just out of curiosity would any of you trade Franzen+Kronwall+Nyquist+1st for Ovie?  Moreover, would the Caps take it?

I am not so sure I would put Kronwall in there, but replace it with Filppula and also receive their 1st in return, then ya, I would do that....

to WAS: Franzen, Filppula, Nyquist, 2013 1st rd pick.

to DET: Ovechkin, 2013 1st rd pick.

I would take that trade for sure. Still don't think Washington would though.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#167 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Re: Ovechkin -

I just don't think he would ever do well under Babcock or on this team in general.  He has a very "me first" mentality and doesn't seem willing to change his attitude, no matter who is the head coach.

Filppula plays his role well on this team and is a guy who can be counted on to hold down a spot on the 2nd line.  Now, if he won't move from 5+ mil/season to re-sign then maybe Holland should consider moving him to at least get something in return.  But I wouldn't be so quick to give up on negotiations.

#168 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Imagine if he only shot more.....

Imagine if all the Wings shot more.)

#169 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Tatar has 2 goals in three games since rejoining the Griffins.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#170 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I think Tatar has more of a future with Detroit than Nyquist does.  Trading Filppula and Nyquist in a package for a scorer makes a lot of sense. But would that be enough?

www.thinkdunes.com

#171 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

We better get used to our smaller skilled guys being traded for bigger guys in order to compete in the Eastern Conference.

#172 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Imagine if he only shot more, thats what I think most people have a problem with. I know that is my issue with him, he's a good player but until he plays like last year I don't think he is worth 5 million dollars. Right now he looks like the 40-45 point Flip from previous years.

Keep in mind though that he's only played 22 games. While it looks like a big difference when you extrapolate to a full season, right now it's only 3-5 points. Considering he's had next to nothing to work with on the PP, and was missing practices early in the year due to a nagging injury, that shouldn't be unexpected.

I think Tatar has more of a future with Detroit than Nyquist does.  Trading Filppula and Nyquist in a package for a scorer makes a lot of sense. But would that be enough?

Not likely. Most deadline deals tend to be picks/prospects for roster players. Something like you suggest would have been more likely in the summer. We'd have to find someone looking to dump salary for next year, and dump players usually aren't all that good.

Our best return would probably come from someone actually looking for a rental. Chicago and Vancouver stand out, as both are looking for centers and both are already near the cap next year. Vancouver could make some moves to keep him long-term if they wanted, Hawks would probably trade his rights at the draft. I'd want something like a 1st and 3rd from them for him, maybe a 4th from the Canucks. It might then be possible to flip that 1st plus Gus for a sniper.

#173 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Keep in mind though that he's only played 22 games. While it looks like a big difference when you extrapolate to a full season, right now it's only 3-5 points. Considering he's had next to nothing to work with on the PP, and was missing practices early in the year due to a nagging injury, that shouldn't be unexpected.

Not likely. Most deadline deals tend to be picks/prospects for roster players. Something like you suggest would have been more likely in the summer. We'd have to find someone looking to dump salary for next year, and dump players usually aren't all that good.

Our best return would probably come from someone actually looking for a rental. Chicago and Vancouver stand out, as both are looking for centers and both are already near the cap next year. Vancouver could make some moves to keep him long-term if they wanted, Hawks would probably trade his rights at the draft. I'd want something like a 1st and 3rd from them for him, maybe a 4th from the Canucks. It might then be possible to flip that 1st plus Gus for a sniper.

I would take Burrows from Vancouver whenever they are ready.  They can have Flip and Franzine...

www.thinkdunes.com

#174 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

I don't follow Toronto much but I heard the could maybe be sick of that young guy they got kessel I think is name is? Or was he the canuck? I can't remember.

But anyway I thought he was suppose to be good but he has under performed in Toronto and they could look to move in. Anyone that follow him know if he would even be worth it?

#175 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't follow Toronto much but I heard the could maybe be sick of that young guy they got kessel I think is name is? Or was he the canuck? I can't remember.

But anyway I thought he was suppose to be good but he has under performed in Toronto and they could look to move in. Anyone that follow him know if he would even be worth it?

This seems to be a trend with Kessel.  He has so much potential and yet he has been traded from Boston and now you say that you hear Toronto is getting tired of him? He has had 4 straight seasons of 30 or more goals, but seems to be struggling (by his standards) a bit this year.  Of course Toronto is only outshined by Montreal as places that are the hardest to play for.  If you struggle in either of those cities, you may as well pack it in, you are doomed forever more....Does he have the same issue as our whipping boy?

That being said, I don't think that Toronto would trade with Detroit (or vice-versa) considering that they will be conference rivals again next season...

www.thinkdunes.com

#176 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

This seems to be a trend with Kessel.  He has so much potential and yet he has been traded from Boston and now you say that you hear Toronto is getting tired of him? He has had 4 straight seasons of 30 or more goals, but seems to be struggling (by his standards) a bit this year.  Of course Toronto is only outshined by Montreal as places that are the hardest to play for.  If you struggle in either of those cities, you may as well pack it in, you are doomed forever more....Does he have the same issue as our whipping boy?

That being said, I don't think that Toronto would trade with Detroit (or vice-versa) considering that they will be conference rivals again next season...

Ya us being in the east could complicate that. And I'm pretty sure I hears it on one of the NBC games awhile ago.

#177 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

He was traded by Boston because of the dumb deal Toronto gave up for him by Burke. 2 1st round draft picks (Seguin and Hamilton) and a 2nd round pick.  Kessel is good, he doesn't have a #1 center yet still produces 35+ goals a year and was over a PPG player last year on a terrible team. I still think he was one of the best wrist shots in the entire league. That being said, your right he won't be traded to Detroit because they are going to the division next year.

#178 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

We better get used to our smaller skilled guys being traded for bigger guys in order to compete in the Eastern Conference.

You think there'll be any takers?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#179 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'd be cool with trading Filppula, but I don't want us giving him away for nothing. I'd trade him for Nathan Horton. Both are UFAs at the end of the season. From the sounds of it, Filppula is gonna want upwards of $5 mil/year, an amount I don't feel he's worth. He's likely hit his peak and he's a bit older. Boston probably won't go for it at this point in the season, though.

Guys like Horton are the kind of guys we need to be targeting with us moving to the east.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#180 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

I think the east might play a tougher brand of hockey but the idea that the conference is bigger is mostly a myth.

If you go by average height and weight the Wings are actually a bigger team than Boston, although certainly not as physical.

If the Wings can have success in the east with their style next season I think you'll see a lot of the teams in the North East dumping tough guys for guys with more skill to match up with the Wings.

Edited by FlashyG, 18 March 2013 - 12:28 AM.