• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

Rumblings that 2014 Winter Classic will be Wings/Leafs

Rate this topic

And it looks like game on for the Winter Classic....the NHL is wisely making a second attempt at Wings/Leafs in the Big House....

From the Toronto Star:

It’s all still very hush-hush, but the Maple Leafs and Red Wings will indeed play next January in the NHL’s next instalment of the Winter Classic.
This year’s game, scheduled for New Year’s Day, was cancelled due to the lockout. It was expected to draw 110,000 fans.
But the Star has learned that the NHL is closing in on final talks with officials at the University of Michigan for use of its football stadium, and with the Detroit Tigers for use of Comerica Park in what would be a weeklong festival of hockey capped of by the NHL game.
“My guess is we will officially announce plans in early spring,” a source told the Star.

Ever since the lockout I swear it was known that the Winter Classic was still going to be at the Big House, just the following year. I have zero idea why people act surprised or expected anything different. I hope they still do 24/7 though, unfortunately we don't have homer.

I'm confused too. This is nothing new. Besides the fact that I had the option to get a refund or retain my tickets for next year, there were several quotes that came out weeks or months ago confirming it would be played on 1/1/2014. It's the rest of the schedule for the Winter Festival that I am anxiously waiting to be released, so I can plan my travel.

When the event was cancelled all ticket holders were given an option to hold onto their tickets for next year's Winter Classic. Why bother turning it into some sort of announcement?

"Since, you know, we couldn't get our s*** together last year we're happy to present the 2014 Winter Classic." :glare:

Love the idea of both teams wearing their colors, rather than the Leafs in white. Though, I'm not so much a fan of the white stripes on the chest (above the logo).

Anywho. Red vs. Blue. As it should be.

Sooooo...you wanted this to be the only Winter Classic game, eh? Uncle Gary might have something else in mind. From Sportsnet:

Bummed that the 2013 Winter Classic was axed? Well, the National Hockey League might be trying to make up for that lost outdoor game fourfold.

According to The Fourth Period, which cites information from “multiple well-placed sources,” the NHL is planning on holding multiple outdoor games in 2014 in effort to recoup some of the lost revenue generated from cancelled showcase events such as the 2013 Classic and All-Star weekend. (Due to the Sochi Games, the 2013-14 season is also expected to be played without an All-Star Game.)

In addition to the 2014 Winter Classic, a makeup date between theDetroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Ann Arbour’s Michigan Stadium, the site says the league is trying to schedule an open-air contest at New York’s Yankee Stadium and possibly one at Los Angeles’ Dodgers Stadium as well.

Spend, spend spend.

Has this already been discussed?

"@wyshynski: Bettman says we need to "wait and see" on Winter Classic b/w Red Wings and Leafs at Big House. Uh-huh..."

WTF? If it's not a done deal then what imaginary tickets was I given the option of holding on to?