• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FlashyG

2/21 GDT Columbus 3 @ Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

Wings nation is now in panic mode. I really am glad that the GM and ownership aren't as reactionary as the LGW Forum members.

We all knew that the Wings weren't going to be a perennial power in the league this year. Realistically, the Wings were going to be a 5th or 6th place team in the Western Conference. With all the injuries, the Wings are going to be lucky to make the playoffs. Then you factor in there the Wings sloppy turnovers and sloppy play, and its a self fulfilling prophecy.

Lost to the worst team in hockey at home. Injuries or not, that can't happen with the Red Wings already fighting to make the playoffs. Holland needs to be a little more reactionary for once. Never taking a risk isn't going to fix this roster, which clearly has some major issues beyond health.

Edited by GoWings1905

There have only been 3 games this year that I really felt we played poorly enough and deserved the loss. Thats whats so irritating, a couple dumbass turnovers again and we lose. Open nets missed, plenty of scoring chances and we still take the L.

This. They just seem very unlucky right now with the scoring chances they had tonight. But they turn the puck over to easy and are too sloppy in defense and thats what breaks our neck right now. In my opinion you can't blame Howard or any other player in particular. I'ts the whole team that doesn't seem up to their usual level all season long. And who could actually blame them considering the non existing preseason and the injuries that piled up from the very beginning. Its just impossible to build some chemestry if you are forced to change the lines night after night. And while your oponnents does you will fall more and more behind. Its painful to watch but I would be very careful who I'd blame for this.

How much of these struggles are about the injuries?

Through Tuesday they've lost 104 man-games to injury, 16 games into the season. That's an average of 6.5 players out for EVERY game so far.

Looks like only ten players have played every one of the first 16 games. How much success can you expect when less than half your roster has played every game?

Edited by Phil Lesh

Pavel Datsyuk is the only quality player on this team. There are a few others who would be quality if they tried. The only way this team is going to get ahead is through trades and free agent signings, because the Red Wings farm system seems to be filled with just more of what the team already has - journeyman quality 3rd and 4th line players, who may shine for a game or two after being called up, but then they just blend into the woodwork with all of the other mediocrity.

I think it's time to put this team to bed, and dig out my old tape of the 2002 WSC game 7 against Colorado.

The Wings GM and ownership hasnt reacted to anything in years. Ill take over reaction over no action.

Exactly, well said. "We like our team" has been the stance and this roster hasn't done anything in four years now. We need some reactionary or risky moves to fix this. Staying the course isn't working.

Im not as ready to jump off the cliff as many others here because this rut seems all mental. The players have to decide if they want to play as hard as Dats does and eliminate all this pee wee garbage and undisciplined crap.

Clearly line wAs really good tonight despite all the yelling for their heads here.

Babs certainly could send a message by sitting people but he knows the players better than we do, some will be motivated by pushing them while others need to be pulled. Great coaches know how to motivate but the wings are in very unfamiliar water here with all the injuries and lots of veterans on the shelf. And we cant really sit too many people to 'send a message' cuz we are a little thin with personel:)

Lost to the worst team in hockey at home. Injuries or not, that can't happen with the Red Winhs already fighting to make the playoffs. Holland needs to be a little more reactionary for once. Never taking a risk isn't going to fix this roster, which clearly has some major issues beyond health.

Washington is the worst team in the NHL right now.

As for Holland making a move, I would say no. Reactionary and impulse moves would accomplish nothing. This season is pretty much done.

The only move that they could make is to jettison Flip for a different player. they won't get much for him since he is a rental and doesn't have a contract next season, but that would be a start. Either that or if they can sign him for 2-3 million a season, that may be fair.

I would rather gut out the season with what we have than trade away our prospects to save a season that is already lost. I trust in Holland and the Wings leadership. They have brought us 4 cups in the last 15 years. That alone should be reason enough to trust in them.

Babcock makes some head-scratching personnel moves at times, but he can only do so much with what he has been given. This group was mediocre even when healthy and now the circumstances are even worse with so many injuries. I hate the line combos right now and lack of ice time for Tatar and Tootoo especially, but this falls on Holland. He gave Babcock very little to work with.

There have only been 3 games this year that I really felt we played poorly enough and deserved the loss. Thats whats so irritating, a couple dumbass turnovers again and we lose. Open nets missed, plenty of scoring chances and we still take the L.

I also agree with this. The Wings had great chances, but couldn't bury them. That was part of the problem. The other part was the dumbass turnovers.

I would rather gut out the season with what we have than trade away our prospects to save a season that is already lost. I trust in Holland and the Wings leadership. They have brought us 4 cups in the last 15 years. That alone should be reason enough to trust in them.

If the season is lost then Id prefer it to be lost big. If your not going to make the playoffs your better off going for a lottery pick. And making a reactionary move every now and then shows that your atleast trying to make your roster better. Instead of sitting back for 3 straight years and focusing on your golf game.

Edited by GoalieManPat

We can trade Nyquist.

Since Babcock and Holland think he's not good enough to be on this particular roster (how sad), that means he is expendable.

Nyquist doesn't have much trade value. Probably more than Cleary though.

Guess Im still wearing slightly redwing tinted glasses. I see us making the playoffs and getting bounced in second round.....this scenario ONLY happens with a healthy team however! But even with the decimation of our squad I still see us as a 6 or 7 seed.

Tatar with a measly 10:03 TOI, and he hustled and made nice plays and worked his ass off the whole time he was out there. Maybe if he was getting top 6 mins we'd be far better off. and at .500 we need to try something better than wasting Dats with Cleary and Abs. Abs is good, but Cleary needs to grind away on the 4th line. May as well bring Gus back up and use this season as a tryout.

If the season is lost then Id prefer it to be lost big. If your not going to make the playoffs your better off going for a lottery pick.

I hear what you are saying, and at this stage, the season isn't lost yet. Still over 65% of the games have yet to be played and the Wings are not far out of a playoff spot.

Guess Im still wearing slightly redwing tinted glasses. I see us making the playoffs and getting bounced in second round.....this scenario ONLY happens with a healthy team however! But even with the decimation of our squad I still see us as a 6 or 7 seed.

At this stage, it looks more like an 8th seed unless we batten down the hatches, stop turning the puck over, get healthy, and play a full 60 minute game as a team.

I am definitely not trying to be a smart-ass here, but I really want to know - when was the last time a Red Wings "top prospect" ended up amounting to anything. Detroit seems to sign who are supposed to be good prospects, but all I see are 3rd and 4th line drones coming out of GR.

I hear what you are saying, and at this stage, the season isn't lost yet. Still over 65% of the games have yet to be played and the Wings are not far out of a playoff spot.

64.58% actually

WHo's using math now?

Edited by Phil Lesh

I am definitely not trying to be a smart-ass here, but I really want to know - when was the last time a Red Wings "top prospect" ended up amounting to anything. Detroit seems to sign who are supposed to be good prospects, but all I see are 3rd and 4th line drones coming out of GR.

The Wings haven't had many 1st round picks because they trade them all. Brendan Smith was the last one they had I believe.

64.58% actually

Thanks for the clarification. I pulled the 65% out of my ass. :D

Washington is the worst team in the NHL right now.

As for Holland making a move, I would say no. Reactionary and impulse moves would accomplish nothing. This season is pretty much done.

The only move that they could make is to jettison Flip for a different player. they won't get much for him since he is a rental and doesn't have a contract next season, but that would be a start. Either that or if they can sign him for 2-3 million a season, that may be fair.

I'd rather waive guys like Sammy and Cleary and give guys like Nyquist and Sheahan ice time to get them ready for next year. Trade Q for a broken skate sharpener and keep Lashoff up full time and see if Almqvist can hack it. and for s***s and giggles, bring Jurco up for a couple games and put him straight in the top 6 with Dats and Tatar to give him a taste and give Dats some youth to have some fun with. lastly, just for 1 game when Helm gets back, i'd like to see a line of Tootoo-Helm-Callahan and have them completely ruin the night for a top line on the other team. And i would prefer that team to be the Sharks.

I will converse with you all more tomorrow. time to watch criminal minds and then call it a night.

No one trade is going to fix this team. There is simply no point in giving up assets right now.

Yup, play with what we have and let the chips fall where they may.

Let the fairweather fans leave and join the Blackhawks fan club. Holland and company would benefit from making good decisions, draft, and sign new players. The fans are going to be upset for barely making the playoffs or not making it at all. Big freaking deal.