• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#441 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Dorsett tried to start sumthin with Ericsson...Tootoo stepped in, and proceeded to smack Dorsett around (broken nose from the looks of it)...Hence the 2 min instigator added on for Tootoo.

I see, thanks. Would think Ericsson could handle that by himself though.

#442 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I see, thanks. Would think Ericsson could handle that by himself though.

Agreed.

I love the fact that Tootoo will come to the aid of a teammate - however it's sad to see him more or less take on this responsibility by himself...Big E could've handled Dorsett.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#443 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Big E looked like he wanted to handle Dorsett too.

Gloves were off, and then the look on his face when Tootoo Jumped in was like "WTF".

This is one of the reasons I worried about Tootoo, he was playing pretty disciplined hockey at the start of the season.

He is starting to unwind a little, the interference penalty he drew was not interference and was a Dive/Acting job by him.

The little punk is starting to come out in him (edit), his hits seem to be getting closer and closer to borderline every game.

I appreciate the fact he thought he was jumping to the aid of a player, and he probably thinks he is the only one that can throw down on this team, given his perspective as a tough guy on a division opponent. But it was a bad play that cost the team a goal, albeit a weird goal because of the way the puck died on the deflection right in front of Umberger's stick with Howie in position to save the original shot/deflection.

Edited by Opie, 22 February 2013 - 09:15 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#444 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Gloves were off, and then the look on his face when Tootoo Jumped in was like "WTF".

This is one of the reasons I worried about Tootoo, he was playing pretty disciplined hockey at the start of the season.
He is starting to unwind a little, the interference penalty he drew was not interference and was a Dive/Acting job by him.
The little punk is starting to come out in him (edit), his hits seem to be getting closer and closer to borderline every game.

I appreciate the fact he thought he was jumping to the aid of a player, and he probably thinks he is the only one that can throw down on this team, given his perspective as a tough guy on a division opponent. But it was a bad play that cost the team a goal, albeit a weird goal because of the way the puck died on the deflection right in front of Umberger's stick with Howie in position to save the original shot/deflection.

Did you not see the 15 interference penalties called on Kindl against the Wild? They are calling it much closer and to say his hits are starting to become borderline dirty is BS they have always been borderline dirty. Watch the first few games "IE" Dallas and the 1st Wild game and you will see hits that are on the edge. If you don't like the guy, don't like him but don't make stuff up to fit an agenda. We knew what we were getting with 22 and he has not failed to deliver. One of the hardest working guys on ice, that crosses the line every now and then but still plays tough as hell, and is apart of scoring chances every game. What's not to love?

Edited by MasterPavel, 22 February 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#445 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I disagree, I think the majority of his hits to start the season, while hard hits, where clean in timing and where he was hitting guys.

I think his arms are starting to come up on his hits and I think he is starting to hit later and later.

I didn't say I hated him, I said I worried about him.

He can be a PIM machine and this team is not very good on the PK!

I actually like the way his line is playing, I just worry he is going to start living up to his reputation. 

Perception is key here, you see his play one way (much like you saw my post as I hate him) and I see his play another way, worrisome on a team with bad special teams.

You have no problem with him crossing the line apparently, however I do.

That is where the difference lies. I think he far exceeded my expectations, but that doesn't mean I don't worry long term. Especially seeing as I Think his play is starting to resemble his play in seasons past.

Not denying his work ethic, but his decision making and discipline leave something to be desired. IMO

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#446 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I can live with that, good debate. As far as crossing the line I don't like it but know it is gonna happen with players like him, Dmac, Drake, Maltby etc...

#447 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Per Tootoo, I had the same opinion the FSD guys did, he's the fighter, not Ericsson.  Ericsson could have handled Dorsett, but don't we prefer our D on the ice, instead of in the box?  Not to mention would if E got hurt, broke his hand or something?  We're already down enough D and we just lost Q as well (can't say I'm all that bummed, but we need bodies at this point).  Even at that, E didn't have his gloves off yet, Dorsett did and was winding up, E wasn't ready for it.  E only lost one glove and that was due to Toots jumping in.  He didn't sucker punch Dorsett either, he got in between, pushed him back a few feet, and clocked him good.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#448 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Seemed like a smart play by Tootoo to me, why let Ericsson head to the box for 5 minutes when we're already desperate as hell on defense?...Tootoo stepped in, clocked Dorsett, and handled the situation. Dorsett is just embarassed, his comments to the media are indicative of that.

#449 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

See I think Tootoo should have got third man in. Dorsett wasn't even looking at Tootoo and that is a Toots special, remember we all used to complain about those when he was a Pred.

If Tootoo and Wiz were scuffling in a pile and Dorsett sucker punched Tootoo you all would be screaming about how dirty Dorsett is.

BUT because Tootoo has a winged wheel on his chest all is forgotten.

I get that, but I don't personally subscribe to that logic.

So people don't think I am just anti fighter, I have a very similar issue with Mule, he is lazy and can be real cheap and dirty, I feel that way about him now, and I will if he ever wears another jersey (doubtful), regardless if he goes on a 10 game tear and gets 14 or so points, it just furthers my point he could play like that every game, but chooses not to!

#450 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I can live with that, good debate. As far as crossing the line I don't like it but know it is gonna happen with players like him, Dmac, Drake, Maltby etc...

Yeah and that is just an unfortunate part of the league now, guys are not policing themselves, the league has handcuffed them.

So borderline dirty can easily escalate to real dirty, and certain guys tend to live on real dirty already, so then they start stomping on people or whacking them with a stick to the head.

Dmac in his prime, to me will forever be the perfect enforcer. I know, I know what about Probie, growing up in Maine I only saw Probie play the Leafs or Canadiens at my grandfathers once in a blue moon.

I like what Dmac brought to the table, and I think Tootoo could be a similar guy.

DMAC got dirty and cheap in retaliation for dirty and cheap, but he even squared up with Claude that one time, the other couple Claude may not have been ready, or had already assumed turtle position

#451 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

See I think Tootoo should have got third man in. Dorsett wasn't even looking at Tootoo and that is a Toots special, remember we all used to complain about those when he was a Pred.

If Tootoo and Wiz were scuffling in a pile and Dorsett sucker punched Tootoo you all would be screaming about how dirty Dorsett is.

BUT because Tootoo has a winged wheel on his chest all is forgotten.

I get that, but I don't personally subscribe to that logic.

So people don't think I am just anti fighter, I have a very similar issue with Mule, he is lazy and can be real cheap and dirty, I feel that way about him now, and I will if he ever wears another jersey (doubtful), regardless if he goes on a 10 game tear and gets 14 or so points, it just furthers my point he could play like that every game, but chooses not to!

It wasn't a sucker punch.  Toots grab him in the chest, pushed him back a few feet, then clocked him.  He might not have expected him to jump in, but he surely didn't get sucker punched.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#452 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

So he didn't expect Tootoo to jump in, Toots pushed him off balance with the left and hit him with the right, as Dorsett was ready to go with E.

Again you said he didn't expect Tootoo to jump in, and seeing as the push and punch took about a second and a half you think it wasn't a sucker punch.

Agree to disagree on the semantics of sucker punch I guess.

#453 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

So he didn't expect Tootoo to jump in, Toots pushed him off balance with the left and hit him with the right, as Dorsett was ready to go with E.

Again you said he didn't expect Tootoo to jump in, and seeing as the push and punch took about a second and a half you think it wasn't a sucker punch.

Agree to disagree on the semantics of sucker punch I guess.

This is not semantics.  It's fact.  These are sucker punches.

#454 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

See again, semantics, I think of a sucker punch as an unexpected punch.

Sure Dorsett thought he was going to get punched, but by big E who was in front of him, not Tootoo coming from the side of him, pushing him and then punching him.

But that is my take, we see it differently.

EDIT:

I like your above post because Dino's punch is hilariously a sucker punch, I am not sure the guy he hit still knows who hit him!!!

Edited by Opie, 22 February 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#455 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I agree that he didn't expect Toots, I just think in this sport, you drop your gloves, you sure as hell better be ready for anything.  He should have expected to get punched, he was trying to get the jump on E and Toots got the jump on him instead.  In this instance, I think 22 did the right thing, even if it cost us a goal.  I think he was careful enough not to make it suspension worthy.

The Dino hit Kind of reminds me of the Franzen hit on Montador.  Kind of.

#456 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Huh?

You didn't know I'm Manny Legace?  

Icwutudidthar
I'm offended that you're offended.

#457 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Agreed.

I love the fact that Tootoo will come to the aid of a teammate - however it's sad to see him more or less take on this responsibility by himself...Big E could've handled Dorsett.

Big E beat Dorsett in a fight last year.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#458 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

See again, semantics, I think of a sucker punch as an unexpected punch.

Sure Dorsett thought he was going to get punched, but by big E who was in front of him, not Tootoo coming from the side of him, pushing him and then punching him.

But that is my take, we see it differently.

EDIT:

I like your above post because Dino's punch is hilariously a sucker punch, I am not sure the guy he hit still knows who hit him!!!

Dorsett threw a punch at Tootoo before Tootoo threw a punch. Dorsett may have been expecting E, but he knew who he was fighting when he got punched.

If Tootoo were about to fight JJ I would expect Dorsett to intercept him. E and Dorsett hadn't started fighting yet so there is no third man in.

#459 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I know a lot of people are down on the Wings right now, but this is kind of expected.  The Wings were down in the beginning and then they got better and were good, now they're down again.  Its very typical of a team during a shortened season, plus add on all the injuries we've experienced.  What did you expect to happen?  Take a look around the league, everybody is having big ups and big downs.  As long as our ups are long enough to get us into the playoffs, it'll be fine.  Right now, the team isn't playing "bad" we're just not holding leads.  Its not like when we got dominated by the Blues on opening night.  Nothing looked good then.  This is fixable and doesn't need an overhaul or rebuild.

#460 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Well look at this way, would you have rather had Ericsson off for 5 mins or TooToo for 10.