• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Tootoo

Rate this topic

Thoughts so far?

I think he has been great. Everybody was clamoring for an enforcer, and Tootoo has stepped into that role and more. He had a great shift tonight to draw a penalty near the end of the game. Too bad the Wings PP couldn't get its s*** together.

I also love how he popped Dorsett, who is pretty pissed

"Me and Ericsson were going to fight, we were backing up," Dorsett said.
"Tootoo was being himself and came in swinging, being the cheap player
that he is. In my mind he should have gotten a suspension. Tootoo is a
pretty irrelevant player."

Hahahahaha.

Anyways, he has been a pleasure to watch.

sorry this should be combined with the other Toots topics

He's been pretty awesome this season. I wish Babs played him more. He's surprised me with his skating ability and decent shot. Funny but it's true, you hate them until they're playing on your team. Besides maybe the Dorsett shot I haven't seen him make any cheap or dirty plays. He can do his job and be physical without dangerously running at guys or hitting from behind. Maybe he's grown up.

Edited by Number19

Thoughts so far?

I think he has been great. Everybody was clamoring for an enforcer, and Tootoo has stepped into that role and more. He had a great shift tonight to draw a penalty near the end of the game. Too bad the Wings PP couldn't get its s*** together.

I also love how he popped Dorsett, who is pretty pissed

Hahahahaha.

Anyways, he has been a pleasure to watch.

sorry this should be combined with the other Toots topics

It is funny, I was really hoping to see dorsett and big rig square up, it was nice to see toots defend his teammate, but Ericsson was droping the gloves, so I agree with Dorsett there, should have let them fight

Big E didn't have Dorsett tied up or anything and they barely had gotten the gloves off when Toots stepped in. Tootoo did his job in not letting D-bag Dorsett take a good player off the ice for 5 minutes. Message to Dorsett, when you drop your gloves be ready to fight. Win and props to Tootoo.

As far as his play as a fourth liner Tootoo has been great.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Dorsett is a meat head. When Prospal scored and he skated by and taunted the bench, really irked me. Whether it's Big E or Toots hopefully someone pounds the little s***s face in next time.]

As far as Tootoo's play, he's been fantastic. Fighting well, always bringing energy, hits like a truck, draws PP. Wish Babs wouldn't put him on a leash so often and just let him play, and a few more minutes wouldn't hurt either. If we can ever get Helm and Tootoo healthy together in the line-up look out.

Since I'm an avowed Tootoo hater, I do feel obligated to check in and give him credit for the last few games. For what Tootoo "is", he's been extremely effective the past few games. I actually found myself wanting him more on the ice, though I'm not sure that's a testament to him or just how irrelevant guys like Abdelkader and Miller have been.

Still, given that we did LOSE the game, and have lost several where Tootoo has been "active" in this manner, I do think you have to put that in the context of the "end result" and ask if you like watching Tootoo because it makes you feel good, or if you truly believe he's making us a more effective team. Tootoo stepped in to a fight between Dorsett and Ericsson, which was (a) kinda embarrassing to Ericsson given his size, and (b) borderline worthy of an additional penalty or suspension for 3rd man in (Ericsson hadn't really engaged yet, so it wasn't that bad). Oh, and by the way, the Blue Jackets scored right after we fired up their whole bench, and held the momentum for much of the rest of the game.

Similar thing late in the game where Tootoo pretty blatantly dove and took that minor in the 3rd that put us on the power play. Yes, it worked, so Tootoo deserves credit for that. But he was also warned by the referee, and that very easily could have been called a dive, which might have been disastrous.

The reason I dislike Tootoo so much isn't really about me disliking him as a person or even his game (though both of those are occasionally true). I just fundamentally don't believe that crap "fits" on a team like this because in a 2-2 or 2-1 hockey game, I believe the Red Wings are better at actually playing hockey than the Columbus Blue Jackets. Players like Tootoo have a target on their back with both opposing goons and referees. Simply by putting him on the ice, the game becomes about Tootoo running around. The game devolves into chaos, and in a chaotic game, the skill advantage of the Red Wings is dissipated. Fans are stuck in the "Cold War" mentality of the Wings getting pulverized by the Devils and beat around the rink by the Avalanche before we won our Cups. That's not what I see happening now (and it's also a different game than 15 years ago). Tootoo isn't the "reason" the Wings are struggling - he doesn't play enough for that to be true. But throwing him on the ice is always going to him, and that's not going to benefit the team long-term.

Edited by StormJH1

My post from game day thread:

Big E looked like he wanted to handle Dorsett too.

Gloves were off, and then the look on his face when Tootoo Jumped in was like "WTF".

This is one of the reasons I worried about Tootoo, he was playing pretty disciplined hockey at the start of the season.

He is starting to unwind a little, the interference penalty he drew was not interference and was a Dive/Acting job by him.

The little punk is starting to come out in him(edit), his hits seem to be getting closer and closer to borderline every game.

I appreciate the fact he thought he was jumping to the aid of a player, and he probably thinks he is the only one that can throw down on this team, given his perspective as a tough guy on a division opponent. But it was a bad play that cost the team a goal, albeit a weird goal because of the way the puck died on the deflection right in front of Umberger's stick with Howie in position to save the original shot/deflection.

I don't get why Tootoo is all of a sudden such a fan favorite. We need hockey players on this team. Not goons. Goons don't help us when we can't score a goal of the Blue Jackets after the first five minutes. Oh whoo he fights. Great. Let me know when fighting gets you goals.

I don't get why Tootoo is all of a sudden such a fan favorite. We need hockey players on this team. Not goons. Goons don't help us when we can't score a goal of the Blue Jackets after the first five minutes. Oh whoo he fights. Great. Let me know when fighting gets you goals.

People love to see nasty hits and fights, he has more fights this year than almost the entire team last year, people have been longing for this kind of play in a Winged Wheel since Downey left. The fact he provides very few other attributes is not a concern.

Not my cup of tea, but no denying the fact I am in the minority on that.

You guys obviously missed the third period when he went into beats mode pretty much and was hitting everything that had a puck and working his heart out to try and make something happen for this team. But oh yeah lets not see that. He doesn't score like pavs and brunner and doesn't defend like lids so he sucks and I don't get why he is even on this team.....

Many here may think I'm crazy (what else is new), but I'd love to Toots on the 2nd line, and some pp time.

He's deceptively fast, built like a tree stump, and IMHO has underrated hands/skill set.

If anything - he'll get the crowd outta their seats, and provide ALOT more excitement if he were to get more ice time.

Lets not kid ourselves; the Red Wings will be lucky to make the playoffs, and if we do - expect an early exit...What the heck do have to lose?

This right here. Me and my dad said the same thing. Why not give him a chance on the top lines. Dude is just flat out fast and he really does have good hands and a pretty hard wrister. Besides our top guys like dats and z who else plays every shift like it's his last. I still don't get why abby was on the top line....If you are going to do something like that why not try Tootoo.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

You guys obviously missed the third period when he went into beats mode pretty much and was hitting everything that had a puck and working his heart out to try and make something happen for this team. But oh yeah lets not see that. He doesn't score like pavs and brunner and doesn't defend like lids so he sucks and I don't get why he is even on this team.....

Who said that, who on here has said that their expectations of him were to score like Dats or Brunner??

Please quote that person so we can all laugh at their stupidity for expecting Tootoo to be Dats or even Marty Lapointe for that matter.

Otherwise post that you are making s*** up!

Edit Spelling!

Second edit:

Ok so one post you tell us he is not a scorer and no one should expect that from him, and then in another you want him on the second line because of his wrister????????

WOW!

Edited by Opie

Anyone watching The Wings this season referring to Tootoo simply as goon is laughable.

Runs around hitting everything in sight

Draws penalties

Pain in the ass to play against

Creates scoring chances every shift

Ignites crowd and teammates

Goes 100% every second of every shift

Cant finish consistently

Loves the game

Who am I describing above, Tootoo or Helm!!!!!

So I disagree with your "Creates scoring chances every shift" but other than that you just describe a 4th line grinder. Which is what I expected of him, and until Helm can actually put the puck in the net with any form of consistency he is the same.

Bigger question, what is your point?

Who said that, who on here has said that their expectations of him were to score like Dats or Brunner??

Please quote that person so we can all laugh at their stupidity for expecting Tootoo to be Dats or even Marty Lapointe for that matter.

Otherwise post that you are making s*** up!

Edit Spelling!

Second edit:

Ok so one post you tell us he is not a scorer and no one should expect that from him, and then in another you want him on the second line because of his wrister????????

WOW!

so how would you want him to play opie? You Obviously want him to provide a ton more you said it your self with the semi sarcastic "The fact he provides very few other attributes is not a concern" post. What else would you want a player LIKE him to provide?

You need to chill dude. jesus.

do you need a hug opie?

If anything, we need more guys like Tootoo. It's not like the Red Wings are overwhelming teams with skill these days.

AHH here is the real point, the team is at a crossroads, find a way to make a push for the post season (unlikely) or find a way to keep people in the seats.

Three things keep people in their seats, dazzling skill and offense (what the wings used to have), Winning (again, what the Wings used to have), or hard-nosed gritty hockey with some fisticuffs mixed in (what the Wings very rarely have).

AHH here is the real point, the team is at a crossroads, find a way to make a push for the post season (unlikely) or find a way to keep people in the seats.

Three things keep people in their seats, dazzling skill and offense (what the wings used to have), Winning (again, what the Wings used to have), or hard-nosed gritty hockey with some fisticuffs mixed in (what the Wings very rarely have).

You are all over the place...Do you like Tootoo or not? I don't understand.