• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Anyone who calls Tootoo "just a goon" either knows nothing about hockey, or hasn't watched any games this season. He can skate well, control the puck and creates chances here and there. Plus, this whole Dorsett deal is the first "questionable" thing that he has done this season. I'm actually glad he did it too. Ericsson has been probably the Red Wings best dman, no sense in him fighting and being off the ice for 5 minutes or worse, getting hurt.

Wrap your minds around this: The last time this team had players like Tootoo on it. They won a cup...

Yeah forget the superstar players and one of the greatest defensemen of all time.  They didn't contribute nearly as much as our 4th line grinders....

#42 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah forget the superstar players and one of the greatest defensemen of all time.  They didn't contribute nearly as much as our 4th line grinders....

Think about it this way: The next season one of those gritty players retired (Drake) and the other two spent the majority of the season in GR (McCarty and Downey). They were not replaced. Instead, the Red Wings added ANOTHER SUPERSTAR (Hossa) and iced mostly the same team, but couldn't win it again against the same opponent. Interesting....

Edited by DSM, 22 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#43 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Think about it this way: The next season one of those gritty players retired (Drake) and the other two spent the majority of the season in GR (McCarty and Downey). They were not replaced. Instead, the Red Wings added ANOTHER SUPERSTAR (Hossa) and iced mostly the same team, but couldn't win it again against the same opponent. Interesting....

The were a lot more variables in 09 than the lack of enforcers.  And even so it came so close they could just have easily have won the cup. 

Also you can't honestly tell me you would rather have Tootoo than Hossa. 

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 22 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#44 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

The were a lot more variables in 09 than the lack of enforcers.  And even so it came so close they could just have easily have won the cup. 

I'm not saying I would rather have any player over another player. Just making an observation.

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

And there are a lot more variables why a team struggles than the presence of enforcers too then yes?

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Also you can't honestly tell me you would rather have Tootoo than Hossa

Of course he or anyone else couldn't say that but thats not to say we don't need players skating out there just like tootoo or mac anyone like that. 

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 22 February 2013 - 02:04 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#47 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

And there are a lot more variables why a team struggles than the presence of enforcers too then yes?

esteef

I'm not saying Tootoo is why the team sucks.  But Tootoo is not the answer.  Him playing any more than his eight minutes a night I'd venture to say is probably going to hurt us more than help. 

#48 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm not saying Tootoo is why the team sucks.  But Tootoo is not the answer.  Him playing any more than his eight minutes a night I'd venture to say is probably going to hurt us more than help. 

You are just full of ridiculous statements.  Who said Tootoo was "the answer"?  You just don't like players who fight and look for any excuse to rag on them.  Tootoo has played well and that just pisses you off.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#49 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

You are just full of ridiculous statements.  Who said Tootoo was "the answer"?  You just don't like players who fight and look for any excuse to rag on them.  Tootoo has played well and that just pisses you off.

esteef

I just can't wait to see a line like abby,tootoo and helm or tootoo tatar and helm or any combination. that would be crazy.like freaking pissed off bees flying around.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#50 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

(almost) Everybody was asking for Drake type of player who can:

Skate : check
Hit : check
Fight : check
Agitator : check
With some offense : check

Signed: Tootoo
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Our power play failing to score when given the chance is not Tootoo's fault.  He's doing exactly what he was brought here to do. 

esteef

Agreed.

And I think a good number of us would like to see his role/playing time increased...It's not like we have anything to lose here.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#52 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Agreed.

And I think a good number of us would like to see his role/playing time increased...It's not like we have anything to lose here.

Yes, he should be playing more for sure. Babs should try him with Dats. Tootoo is the hitting machine he can create to and Dats could find extra space to show his magic

Edit:
TO = turnovers

Edited by Dominator2005, 22 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes, he should be playing more for sure. Babs should try him with Dats. Tootoo is the hitting machine he can create to and Dats could find extra space to show his magic

Edit:
TO = turnovers

Exactly.

Buzzing around the net, nailing the opposing Dmen, and digging loose pucks outta the corner is something he could provide on 1 of the top 2 lines, and if/when push comes to shove - well he'll do more than a Bertuzzi "Bear Hug", or an Abdelkader "my face is your personal punching bag".

Mind you he'll need to watch himself; no more diving, or behind the play crap...There's a time, and place for everything, but if he ever had a shot at playing 14 minutes or more a game - he needs to make the most of what he can offer.

#54 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

If Babs is using kader on the top 2 lines he should give chance to Tootoo too

#55 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Toots is always sniffing the net, you can tell that dude wants to score. Mick says it every shift
" that son if a gun never stops skating".

Hustle and heart more times than not will beat out complacency and talent.

#56 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I don't get why Tootoo is all of a sudden such a fan favorite.  We need hockey players on this team.  Not goons.  Goons don't help us when we can't score a goal of the Blue Jackets after the first five minutes.  Oh whoo he fights.  Great.  Let me know when fighting gets you goals. 

Obviously, you don't know the definition fo a goon.

Why are you even comparing Tootoo to Hossa?

#57 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Many here may think I'm crazy (what else is new), but I'd love to Toots on the 2nd line, and some pp time.

He's deceptively fast, built like a tree stump, and IMHO has underrated hands/skill set.

If anything - he'll get the crowd outta their seats, and provide ALOT more excitement if he were to get more ice time.

Lets not kid ourselves; the Red Wings will be lucky to make the playoffs, and if we do - expect an early exit...What the heck do have to lose?

With as bad as the power play has looked, why not try Tootoo in Homer's spot in front of the net?  Give anything a shot at this point to get some life into it.  

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

With as bad as the power play has looked, why not try Tootoo in Homer's spot in front of the net?  Give anything a shot at this point to get some life into it.  

Agreed.

Last night we saw Abby standing there, or should I say "wobble" there...I never realised until now how "solid" Homer was in front of the oppositions net; that guy was a lump of granite.

Toots could quite possibly be capable of doing a better job than Abby - although he's gotta realise that taking the occasional dive will start to work against him.

#59 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Agreed.

Last night we saw Abby standing there, or should I say "wobble" there...I never realised until now how "solid" Homer was in front of the oppositions net; that guy was a lump of granite.

Toots could quite possibly be capable of doing a better job than Abby - although he's gotta realise that taking the occasional dive will start to work against him.

Toots will be so busy scoring with Pasha he won't need to dive as you suppose.

#60 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Agreed.

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.  Clearly based on evidence, Abby is no Weeble.  He spent more time on his face than on his skates playing the Homer spot.