• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

Sorry, but can't think of a coach I'd rather have than Babs. His attitude is perfect for this team. Classy in the street but a hardass in the lockerroom. Blaming this bad stretch on him is ludicrous. He's a great coach dealing with some of the most limited options in the league right now, theres naturally going to be ups and down. Keep calm, and hockey on.

• Nev likes this

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, but can't think of a coach I'd rather have than Babs. His attitude is perfect for this team. Classy in the street but a hardass in the lockerroom. Blaming this bad stretch on him is ludicrous. He's a great coach dealing with some of the most limited options in the league right now, theres naturally going to be ups and down. Keep calm, and hockey on.

The only problem most of us have right now is that Cleary should be moved down and Tatar moved up and it's severely angering most of us.  If the guys were where they belonged, this thread likely wouldn't even exist.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

RIGHT NOW, it is a perfect storm of injuries and subpar coaching from the entire staff.

As I've said before, while Bertuzzi, Franzen, Helm, and Smith would improve the lineup, they would not be replacing the players who deserve to be scratched, but rather the young guys who have been steady and energetic throughout this mess. Replacing pluses with pluses provides limited returns when compared to replacing minuses. If the staff, Babcock included, had the balls to grant ice-time based on merit, not seniority this team would not be losing games as often now, and they would be much better off when certain healthy players return. This has been a problem with the Wings for a few years now. Also, Renney's powerplay is dreadful, and yet nothing is being done to change it. Given these problems, I don't think you can attribute any of this season's limited success to coaching, but rather huge performances out of Datsyuk and Zetterberg on any given occasion.

That said, this team in its healthiest state is not built well, and that lies squarely on Holland's shoulders. Bringing in spare parts, past-their-primes, and glass men to replace great players is not a solution, but its what we've seen since 2009. As others have said, Bertuzzi while decently solid has had his share of injuries and is getting old, and he is the best acquisition not named Brunner the Wings have had since Hossa. A healthy Sammy and Cola does nothing but force out more young players who have earned their spots. Overriping has turned into wasting away and this team is too old, too fragile, and too complacent, with players forced into positions they don't belong (Kronwall as #1 D, Cleary/Sammy as top-6/PP, etc.) As bad as this team is injured, payroll to returns comparison looks much worse with it healthy.

TLDR: Injuries suck, but ice-time needs to be merit-based and it isn't. Coaching has not kept us afloat, individual performances have. Injuries and coaching aside, Holland has done nothing to build a winner and insure the future in almost 4 seasons and should shoulder the majority of the blame for the sad state of things.

I agree with you.