• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Taylor Hall Suspended 2 games for Kneeing

Rate this topic

What are everyone's thoughts on this kneeing major? I'm not really sure I like it being called a kneeing major, but that's because he didn't throw his leg out there like the typical kneeing calls you see (see: Laraque on Kronwall). He kind of led with his knee, but I didn't see him throw it out there. Looked like he was going for a hard body check.

Wow, that is a tough call.

You are right, not sure about the "throwing out the knee", He looked like a guy who doesn't hit a lot going for a neutral zone hip check and BADLY missed!

I think his reputation saves him from a suspension or from a lengthy one.

Plus it is hard to tell if he intended to do that.

Yeah it just looks to me like what Opie said. It was a guy that doesn't really know how to hit that went in trying to make a big hit. I really don't see a player like Hall throwing out his knee on purpose knowing that if he hits wrong it could put him out of the season and possibly more.

And Hillbilly here is the hard part if that were Matt Cooke I would be screaming for 20 games!!!!

Where does the benefit of the doubt stop?

Look at Pronger, that guy got the benefit of the doubt for years, and then all of the sudden his dirty play caught up with him and he was getting suspensions and fines galore!

I know this play is no Pronger style hit, or even a Cooke type hit, but if one of those guys does this 50% of people see it as dirty and 50% see it the same way as if it were Hall.

Does the league try to teach the youngster a lesson, or do they let him off this time?

Yeah it's really tough to tell. He could have completely laid him out but didn't do so. So to that point he kind of led with his knee/missed. I do imagine he will get a game or two though - game was basically over, something like that happens, think it's warranted.

And Hillbilly here is the hard part if that were Matt Cooke I would be screaming for 20 games!!!!

Where does the benefit of the doubt stop?

Look at Pronger, that guy got the benefit of the doubt for years, and then all of the sudden his dirty play caught up with him and he was getting suspensions and fines galore!

I know this play is no Pronger style hit, or even a Cooke type hit, but if one of those guys does this 50% of people see it as dirty and 50% see it the same way as if it were Hall.

Does the league try to teach the youngster a lesson, or do they let him off this time?

Well I think since it really doesn't look like he threw his knee out and you have to add the fact that he hasn't done anything like this before I don't really think he gets anything...If anything maybe 1 game just to smack him on the wrist. But who knows.

Never liked Clutterbuck, but never wish that on anyone. Hall didn't look like he was trying to knee him, I think the major will stand as the only recourse.

According to the rules just leading with the knee (which Hall did) is enough for it to be called "kneeing". Extending the leg out is not necessary. Some Oiler's fans called it a hip check. I do not see that. The only part of Clutterbuck Hall got was his leg.

Rule 50 - Kneeing

50.1 Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his
knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with
his opponent.

Hall got phone hearing so 5 games is a max.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416585 - Fraser's opinion on the matter.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan

Looked more like hip to me, didn't deserve a kneeing major at all if you ask me. However, I still think it might be a suspendable type hit because at no point was the player he hit in contact with the puck.

I didn't notice whether Cal had the puck or not. I'll have to watch it again later.

Guest The Axe

Man,

I think this is an accident. Taylor Hall was trying to hip check a guy who had just lost a bouncing puck. I don't see any intent in this play to injure. I just see Clutterbuck losing a bouncing puck that Hall thought he was going to possess and Hall finishing a hip check on what he thought was going to happen. Unfortunate accident. Taylor Hall needs to be held accountable because he did injure Clutterbuck, but the minimum should be given to him for this one.

Two games.

Confirming 2 game suspension for Taylor Hall

Shanaban explanation:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=205016&cmpid=nhl-twt

The explanation sounds quite reasonable. Also the video has reply of this hit from few angles, which were not in the clips posted before. Looks like Hall drives his knee straight into Clutterbuck's thigh.

Makes sense. FWIW, I think he committed to that hit anticipating cal--btw, is that your real name--clutterbuck was going to control the puck and the slow motion really gives you a false sense of how long he had to decide that. Watch the first replay of the NHL video, it was real quick.

At any rate, I wasn't aware that leading with your knee was that dangerous of a play, I guess because you don't see it as often and I unfortunately don't actually play hockey so I don't have that on-ice feel for how reckless that play actually is.