• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Is anyone besides me wondering how in the world Garth still has a job?  Where are the "Fire Snow" signs?

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#22 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

This Topic and the Isles make me LOL as much as the Leafs.... 

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#23 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is anyone besides me wondering how in the world Garth still has a job?  Where are the "Fire Snow" signs?

They're in Brooklyn, waiting to get used at Barclay's.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I hope someone claims him just to screw with the Isles.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

ha, ha, ha, ha, What a great investment that turned out to be,

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#26 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

oops wrong topic

Edited by Johnz96, 22 February 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#27 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I hope someone claims him just to screw with the Isles.

They do so many nutty things to themselves, I'm not sure they can be screwed with. 

They signed Tim Thomas to take on his cap hit and get up to the floor even though he'll never play for them.  That's hard to top. 

And only three more years on that Yashin contract!  :lol:

#28 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Considering what they've had in the past it probably doesn't feel too bad. The fans are probably just happy they have a player to root for since Palfy left town.

Tavares, by more than twice what they're still paying to Yashin (and will continue to pay him, until the 2014-2015 season).

http://capgeek.com/islanders

lol.. wow. It's going to be what 7 full seasons since he last played?

Edited by Number19, 22 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#29 Gusto

Gusto

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

They signed Tim Thomas to take on his cap hit and get up to the floor even though he'll never play for them.  That's hard to top. 

They get to the cap floor and don't have to actually pay him anything. Both teams did well out of that bizarre situation.

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Claim him and send him to gr. just because I'm still mad they stole Nabokov. Add him to our trade for a solid defenseman.

... the team would be on the hook for his $4.5m. Besides, who on earth would want to trade for the guy?

#31 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

If I understand correctly, Thomas only effects their cap. No actual money is being paid. As for DP, it makes sense. he was a good young g, they signed him, and he got hurt.....again. It happens. yes he will get bought out in the off season, if they have any sense at all. he is going to get the money anyway, so might as well get it over with and take the chance to get out from under his cap hit. But let's not laugh to loudly. We have 3 guys signed into their 40's that will be paying 14 million for, regardless if they are playing or not.

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

He cleared.

Det's Jan Mursak and NYI's Rick DiPietro both clear Waivers.

They get to the cap floor and don't have to actually pay him anything. Both teams did well out of that bizarre situation.

Oh, I agree.  It took how many days into the new season before there was this first cap circumvention?   :D

It was just a crazy situation.  The Isles seem to have a lot of those.  

#33 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

haha this DiPietro playing in the AHL situation is even more hilarious than Wade Redden

#34 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

This should have happened 5 years ago. Montoya could have carried the load of the 2 games Ricky played per season.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Maybe Snow isn't necessarily terrible. Maybe Wong just has different goals than other teams. He seems to use the team as a tax or business trick, and the goal every year is just to get to the cap floor. Hence, the retarded contracts. I don't think Wong cares about those contracts, they served a purpose. Question is, why does Snow stay when he is constantly made a fool?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Maybe Snow isn't necessarily terrible. Maybe Wong just has different goals than other teams. He seems to use the team as a tax or business trick, and the goal every year is just to get to the cap floor. Hence, the retarded contracts. I don't think Wong cares about those contracts, they served a purpose. Question is, why does Snow stay when he is constantly made a fool?

I'd be made a fool for that kind of money.  Heck, I do it for minimum wage.

It's possible that he actually likes the Islanders, or that he likes living in NY. 

It's also possible that he's hanging in there waiting for something better to come along, but nothing comes because of what he's done, so he's trapped.  Better to be making big bucks and have everyone point and laugh than to be unemployed.