• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Good for them. You can't win em all though and I'd rather be this hot in the playoffs than the start of the season. Of course if I was a Chi fan I would be stoked but this means nothing at this point in the season.

#22 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

The Wings and Hawks play on Sunday. I wouldn't complain if their streak extended into this game and the Wings hand them their first loss on national TV.

Wishful thinking; I'm sure Columbus will beat them this week...

#23 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

The Wings and Hawks play on Sunday. I wouldn't complain if their streak extended into this game and the Wings hand them their first loss on national TV.

I wouldn't mind that either.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

It depends which Wings team shows up Sunday...the one that destroyed Nashville and Vancouver, or the one that has issues with Columbus and Calgary?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Is the Sunday game on NBC? I fricking hope not, I am not ready to hear all the sucking coming from the TV booth...

Hey Chicago fans, congrats on the record, let me remind of a couple of things that we are familiar with 1995 Detroit was the best in the NHL shortened season...70 points in 48 games, no Cup....1995-96 NHL record 62 wins, 2 points shy of record 133 points, No Cup... 6 Presidents Trophies in the 26 years they have been awarding it, no other team has won it more than twice....

regular season records are great and they are fun to gloat about...but it's the playoffs that count, trust us, we know! Good luck, if not us, then I'd rather have you win it than St. Louis, Colorado or s***sburgh....but records are nothing, we have plenty, but not nearly enough Cups for all those records!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#26 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

As a general hockey fan, this is awesome for the fans.  They went through some things no fan of any sport should have to go through. 

As a Wings fan, ***** *** ******* ******** ***** **** **** ******* **** ****.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#27 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

So, I think the record they've set it pretty impressive, but just to play devil's advocate a bit...whcih I think is okay because this isn't a Blackhawks board, does anyone think the record is a bit inflated?

- They aren't playing against the whole league....because of shortened schedule, more games are played against a smaller number of teams.  Say what you will about whether the Western conference is stronger than the Eastern (which I agree with when looking top to bottom), they are avoiding playing against some of the other strong teams in the league.

- of the 19 games they've played this year, only 6 have been against teams that currently have more wins than they do losses (I'm simpflying it to W and L and avoiding OT and shootouts for a minute).

- Of the games they've played against teams with more W than L (LA (9-8), they are 2-0, STL (10-8), they are 1-0, VAN (10-8), they are 1-1, ANA (13-4), they are 0-1).

Impressive regardless of how you look at it, but I think one could take a view as above as well.

The other thing not mentioned about the short season is that you could look at it as being that much more impressive as well because with so many games in such a shor time, you are bound to come out flat every now and then (they've avoided that so far in terms of it not resulting in a regulation loss).

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Other teams have weak schedules, too.  I don't think it takes away from their record at all.  A shortened season affects everyone the same.  Most teams are struggling, but they're not.  Maybe their schedule does help a little, but the point is, they are beating teams they should beat.  You can't dismiss them because of that.  Look at the Wings, we beat the good teams but routinely lose to bottom feeders.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Good for the Hawks. A truly impressive feat, especially considering all of the road games they've played.

I haven't considered them a rival though since the 60s. In fact, the only team that I've thought of as a rival is the Avs and that ended years ago. I don't really think we have one now.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke