• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRedWings1993

Recent Weiss rumors seem to be bogus

Rate this topic

Saw via The Hockey Chat on Twitter that the Wings were at first very interested in Stephen Weiss, then had a formal offer on the table. Heard a prospect and a draft pick, tentatively.

Now, back to reality, and why I think this is total BS.

By the time most of you read this post, the tweet in question will be about three days old. Not only that, but the Wings showed virtually no interest in Weiss whatsoever before three days ago. Also, this is a Twitter-generated rumor (as I can't find any major sports news outlets who have picked up on it), which usually means it's horse-dookie. I've had enough of Twitter-generated nonsense over last summer up until now to see this is fake.

He's 29, which is decent age, and has a ton of skill and plays a good 2-way game. In short, the price is going to be high.

Granted, his struggles will drive the price down a little. But, it's all a moot point considering I highly doubt the Wings are interested, much less have an offer on the table.

Would he help? Sure. Will the Wings get him? I'm really sorry to pull an Ansar Khan on you guys and be extremely negative about this, but I doubt it. Honestly, they haven't shown me they have the ability to make anything but no-name moves lately. I don't have much confidence anything changes. Probably another trade deadline that should be slept through. It's going to be a long, painful ride back to the bottom, if I judge it correctly.

Hopefully, the Dead Wings don't come back for very long.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

i would so dig us picking him up!

but alas..your prob right.

if it were me...i'd get him, streit, visnovsky, offer sheet for o'reilly.

and make a run for it.

Those deals represent a lot of depth players and valuable draft picks going the other way. In a deep draft, we need to hold onto as many picks as possible. We can really stock the shelves big-time if we have a good draft. A lot of top-notch prospects available.

I would also love getting Weiss. However, I don't see it happening. There are other teams who will come calling who have greater need and better assets available. Toronto and Ottawa come to mind. Both need another center. Toronto has a plethora of NHL-ready prospects and Ottawa has Jacob Silfverburg and Mika Zibanejad to dangle over Florida's head. Adding Zibanejad alongside Huberdeau would be huge for the Panthers.

We already have a Weiss in Flip to me. So a trade wouldn't make much sense.

Need to have depth, too. Two Flips is better than one. As bad as both of them are struggling, we know what Weiss is capable of and a change of scenery might help. He represents depth scoring and a great two-way game, both essential parts of any playoff run. But, I think we have bigger needs. Weiss isn't the top-line, two-way defenseman and PP quarterback or the top-6 pure goal-scorer that we need.

i would so dig us picking him up!

but alas..your prob right.

if it were me...i'd get him, streit, visnovsky, offer sheet for o'reilly.

and make a run for it.

The Red Wings would have to SIGNIFICANTLY overpay O'Reilly for Colorado not to match the offersheet. I'm talking $5mil+ for over 5 years, and the Wings would have to cough up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Not worth it.

Can't see this happening, at least not right now. While Florida may be playing like crap right now, at 14 points they're just 5 out of a playoff spot. If they move Weiss, who's a UFA at the end of the season, they'll wait until the trade deadline to see if they can get a contender to over pay.

We already have a Weiss in Flip to me. So a trade wouldn't make much sense.

Florida is almost certainly looking to deal Weiss. Weiss played juniors in the area and will likely be underpriced this offseason given his past performance compared to this current season. Detroit has Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula. There is the definite concern of Datsyuk skipping town after his current contract, and Weiss (with an extension) would give the Wings another top-six center to alleviate that issue.

Here's why Weiss makes sense:

Best-case scenario: Flip and Brunner extend, Datsyuk stays.

Worst-case scenario: Flip and Brunner leave as UFA, Dats leaves a year later.

Imagine adding Weiss to that group, maybe extended for like $4.5m or so. It certainly makes that "worst-case" look a lot rosier.

Florida is almost certainly looking to deal Weiss. Weiss played juniors in the area and will likely be underpriced this offseason given his past performance compared to this current season. Detroit has Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Filppula. There is the definite concern of Datsyuk skipping town after his current contract, and Weiss (with an extension) would give the Wings another top-six center to alleviate that issue.

Here's why Weiss makes sense:

Best-case scenario: Flip and Brunner extend, Datsyuk stays.

Worst-case scenario: Flip and Brunner leave as UFA, Dats leaves a year later.

Imagine adding Weiss to that group, maybe extended for like $4.5m or so. It certainly makes that "worst-case" look a lot rosier.

Bruce Garrioch confirmed the rumors that we inquired about him, via www.mynhltraderumors.com. I would love to add a player like Weiss. That would be great for us. We may have to deal a defenseman and we would be well-served to give Florida another call about Weiss.

He's probably off the market now unless Florida will take draft pick (5th-7th rounder maybe) for his rights. Shutdown for the rest of the season with a wrist injury.

From Bob McKenzie:

FLA's Stephen Weiss is shut down for the rest of the year, will require surgery for an ongoing wrist problem.

Edited by ogreslayer

He's probably off the market now unless Florida will take draft pick (5th-7th rounder maybe) for his rights. Shutdown for the rest of the season with a wrist injury.

From Bob McKenzie:

FLA's Stephen Weiss is shut down for the rest of the year, will require surgery for an ongoing wrist problem.

Yeah, I just saw. Eklund broke the story, if you can believe that. He actually got something right, for once. I didn't want to believe it because it is Eklund, but that's the end of that rumor. Great. More reason for Holland to sit on his butt at the deadline.