• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Trade Deadline buyers or sellers?

Rate this topic

As it stands today Detroit is 10th in the West, and could fall if any of a few teams with games at hand win. They have an inability to hold leads, and haven't been healthy since the first game of the season. All this being said, with the short season, the number of teams that are buying for the last couple spots. And the fact Detroit doesn't seem to have the special teams, goaltending, defense or durability for a long playoff run, should Detroit buy or sell in a month when at the deadline?

Pros of being buyers:

• They could find a Brad Stuart steal, and bolster the defense.
  • If you make the show there's always a chance you make the finals
  • This trade deadline could see big names move, and Detroit does have assets in the farm that others teams want

Cons of being buyers:

• With a lot of potential buyers, and good defensemen being a premium price could be high
  • Anyone moved to Detroit isn't guaranteed to stay after the season
  • While Detroit's farm is in good shape, aside from a few players, a lot of the prospects are boom/bust.

Pros of being sellers:

• With a very deep draft this season, any first or second round picks could turn into impact players in the next few seasons.
  • With a deep free agency coming up in the off season, any salary cleared now will allow Holland more room to pick up a high profile FA
  • Good chance of an over-payment for a player with a lot of teams looking to buy.

Cons of being a seller:

• Good chance they will either miss the playoffs or be bounced early with the subtraction of any NHL level talent
  • If they trade Abdelkader or Cleary who will we scapegoat?

So, I'd really like to see what others have to say, since this is just around the corner (5 weeks from now).

Sell the stable, keep the farm. :lol:

Goodbye Cleary, Sammy, Quincey, White, Kindl and Miller.

Hello Tatar, Lashoff, Andersson, Nyquist, Callahan and Sheahan.

Blast it all ya want, but i'd rather watch that line up lose than see the one we have with Cleary on Dats' wing. This season is a tryout while the Wings transition.

Sell the stable, keep the farm. :lol:

Goodbye Cleary, Sammy, Quincey, White, Kindl and Miller.

Hello Tatar, Lashoff, Andersson, Nyquist, Callahan and Sheahan.

Blast it all ya want, but i'd rather watch that line up lose than see the one we have with Cleary on Dats' wing. This season is a tryout while the Wings transition.

Well I wouldn't mind mind seeing the X-man (Ouellet) or Sproul come up for a try out to see what they can do.

I'd love to see the type of sell off the Ottawa Senators did a few seasons ago. Trade players for prospects and picks. Insert your high quality farm hands into the lineup. Draft high get some elite level talent and move on. Of course their path was a little easier with Karlsson in the pipeline but we have some high grade kids also. They kept Alfie and a few other star vets to help the kids, which we can easily do as well.

I don't think there will be much at the deadline everyone or at least most will be close enough so that they won't sell out at deadline. If your planning big moves your going to be very unhappy

Colorado's Shane O'Brien is rumored to be on the block. I haven't seen much of him. Anybody have any thoughts?

Edit: Also, and this is completely unrelated to Shane O'Brien, how does everyone else feel about the possibility of moving Nyquist? Personally, I feel like Jarnkrok is the future at the center position, and because Nyquist hasn't shown the same level of success at the NHL level as someone like Tatar, I'd rather move him while his value is still high. Both Khan and Brendan Savage argue that he's untouchable in their Wing's gameday debate today, but I honestly don't see it that way. With Helm, Dats (maybe), Zetterberg, Flip, and Jarnkrok down the center I think we're good moving forward without Nyquist. Of course don't just move him for a temporary fix, but if the return was someone young and talented then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Edited by kipwinger

Why is this thread here? Does nobody realize the wings are only 4 points behind Nashville who are 4th in the west. I know they can't buy a win right now but if they go on a 4 or 5 game winning steak and a few teams go on a skid and the wings will be right back in the playoffs

Honestly, getting "a guy like Darren Helm back" will help a ton. Unfortunately, we still have a horrible defense. One dimensional players who aren't even particularly good at the that one dimension. White, Kronwall, Quincey, Colaiacovo, and Kindl, puck movers who are only average at moving the puck. Ericsson, Lashoff, and Huskins, shutdown guys who are only average at shutting down forwards. Need to trade for a better defense, and let the forwards improve as injured players return.

Guest The Axe

Kronwall, Bertuzzi, and Nyquist for Perry.

White, Colo, Franzen, and Mursak for Yandle.

Howard, Samuelsson, and Brunner for Schneider.

Drop Cleary, Abdelkader, and Huskins.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Perry

Tatar-Helm-Zetterberg

Miller-Andersson-Eaves

Ferraro-Emmerton-Tootoo

Callahan-Jarnkrok

Yandle-Ericsson

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Lashoff

Ouelette

Schneider

Mrazek

Why is this thread here? Does nobody realize the wings are only 4 points behind Nashville who are 4th in the west. I know they can't buy a win right now but if they go on a 4 or 5 game winning steak and a few teams go on a skid and the wings will be right back in the playoffs

Exactly, we'll have to tank hard to be completely out of contention come deadline day. There are still 12 games left after the deadline, 5 at home, 7 on the road. However it does come after virtual back-to-back west coast road trips, so we may have a good idea how we feel about our team.

The problem with being a buyer is that this team is a long way off 1 or 2 key trades turning us into a legit contender, as well as the ridiculously high prices last year (Quincey for a 1st, Gaustad for a 1st).

The benefit of being a seller is that we do have a few expendable pieces that other teams looking to make a run would be willing to pick up. Franzen and Filpulla could both fetch a hefty return from a contender looking to bolster their line-up for the playoffs, and in world where Quincey and Gaustad are worth a 1st round pick, veterans like Cleary, Miller, Eaves and, er Quincey, should get a decent return.

Question is, if we're 6 points back in 11th come April 3rd, will Holland have the balls to blow the thing up for picks and prospects and play the kids the rest of the way? If we're in that situation, I hope we do, otherwise our long slow decline will continue without an large infusion of young talent.

I don't think we are "a long way off from being a legit contender". We compete very well 5-5, we've played good teams closely this season when we've had a (nearly) healthy roster, and we've had solid goaltending (regardless of what the Howard scapegoaters say). We need defense badly. Specifically top minute stay at home defenders (which Holland has confirmed in interviews). Those aren't that expensive. We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th. As I've been saying all long, insert a quality shutdown defender alongside Kronwall, move Ericsson to the 2nd pair with Smith, and use whoever (White/Lashoff, Quincey/Colaiacovo, Kindl/Huskins) as the third pair and our defense is noticeably better in all facets of the game. In other threads I've mentioned Regehr, Volchenkov, Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder as guys who could be had relatively cheaply and who could fill the role I'm talking about but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. A healthy lineup and a solidified defense makes our team a contender, mark my words.

Edit: Adding Ladislav Smid to the list of guys I'd like as well.

Edited by kipwinger

I don't think we are "a long way off from being a legit contender". We compete very well 5-5, we've played good teams closely this season when we've had a (nearly) healthy roster, and we've had solid goaltending (regardless of what the Howard scapegoaters say). We need defense badly. Specifically top minute stay at home defenders (which Holland has confirmed in interviews). Those aren't that expensive. We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th. As I've been saying all long, insert a quality shutdown defender alongside Kronwall, move Ericsson to the 2nd pair with Smith, and use whoever (White/Lashoff, Quincey/Colaiacovo, Kindl/Huskins) as the third pair and our defense is noticeably better in all facets of the game. In other threads I've mentioned Regehr, Volchenkov, Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder as guys who could be had relatively cheaply and who could fill the role I'm talking about but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. A healthy lineup and a solidified defense makes our team a contender, mark my words.

Still with you on Regehr/Volchenkov. Though I feel like Volchenkov would cost something like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Brunner, Franzen, eight first-round picks, seven unicorn tears, and one full sixty-minute effort this season. ("Oh man," Ken Holland says, "you had me right up until that last one.")

Still with you on Regehr/Volchenkov. Though I feel like Volchenkov would cost something like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Brunner, Franzen, eight first-round picks, seven unicorn tears, and one full sixty-minute effort this season. ("Oh man," Ken Holland says, "you had me right up until that last one.")

Haha, I don't think he'd cost too much. They've got 8 defensemen, Volchenkov is currently playing on the third pair, with Tallinder easily capable of playing his minutes...and much more cheaply I might add. I think they'd be willing to move A-Train just to get that 4.5 million dollar cap hit off their third pair. But obviously he'd be harder to land than Regehr or the others I mentioned. Still think it could be done for a decent prospect and our 2nd.

I think that the Wings, while aren't a long way off from being a playoff contender, they are a long way off from being on the same level as the top tier teams as it stands today. As I said in the offseason I am more afraid of mediocrity than a couple years of being bad, but rebuilding the team. To sum it up, I just don't want the Wings to be a Calgary type team because Holland is too afraid to take any risks either trying to win now, or to try to build long term.

I think that the Wings, while aren't a long way off from being a playoff contender, they are a long way off from being on the same level as the top tier teams as it stands today. As I said in the offseason I am more afraid of mediocrity than a couple years of being bad, but rebuilding the team. To sum it up, I just don't want the Wings to be a Calgary type team because Holland is too afraid to take any risks either trying to win now, or to try to build long term.

I agree, doing nothing is bad, but I'd take it a step further and say rebuilding is bad too. If you go into full rebuild mode, then you're 2-3 years (at least) away from being competitive again. In 2-3 years Datsyuk will likely be gone, Z will be Datsyuk's age, Franzen will be over the hill, as will Kronwall. In the time it takes to rebuild, the core that you'd be rebuilding on will be crumbling. I think it's better to win now while we've still got the talent to do it.

I agree, doing nothing is bad, but I'd take it a step further and say rebuilding is bad too. If you go into full rebuild mode, then you're 2-3 years (at least) away from being competitive again. In 2-3 years Datsyuk will likely be gone, Z will be Datsyuk's age, Franzen will be over the hill, as will Kronwall. In the time it takes to rebuild, the core that you'd be rebuilding on will be crumbling. I think it's better to win now while we've still got the talent to do it.

I think if they go into a mini-rebuild, with the pieces they have in the minors they can unload some older players for picks (with an extremely deep draft this season), and have room pick up new blood in free agency, which is also pretty deep this off season they will be right back into that top tier. I'd rather them miss one year of post season play than to be a bubble team for 5.

Edited by Shaman464

I wouldn't be opposed to the wings selling off some of the fat and going youth for a couple years. It would be great to have some extra draft picks to either trade for RFAs with or draft young talent. That would mean pawning off Franzen, White, Colo, Sammy, Cleary, Bert, Quincey for whatever picks we can get and then putting those picks to work in one way or another. We might not be able to directly use those players in a trade, but the picks that they bring in could be used for something.

I think if they go into a mini-rebuild, with the pieces they have in the minors they can unload some older players for picks (with an extremely deep draft this season), and have room pick up new blood in free agency, which is also pretty deep this off season they will be right back into that top tier. I'd rather them miss one year of post season play than to be a bubble team for 5.

I see your point and I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't think a rebuild is necessary right now because we've essentially already done it. It's just that all the guys we've got to show for it are a few years away still. Jurco, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Sproul, Quellet, Frk, ARE the rebuild, but they aren't ready for at least two more years. In the mean time, our core has a couple three years of competitive hockey from the core that I don't think should be squandered by doing nothing. Trading Nyquist, Tatar, or both and a few picks would significantly help this team now and for the next 2-3 seasons, and not really mortage the future considering the future is in the guys I've already mentioned. Nyquist and a 1st would go a long way toward landing a guy like Bogosian for instance, and Tatar and a third would make you competitive for Stephen Weiss. It would take considerable less than that to land Regehr and Blake Wheeler, both of whom are UFA's next year and would help this year. Then restock the picks you lose by trading as many of our extra (read: throw away) roster players as you want.

Edited by kipwinger

Kronwall, Bertuzzi, and Nyquist for Perry.

White, Colo, Franzen, and Mursak for Yandle.

Howard, Samuelsson, and Brunner for Schneider.

Drop Cleary, Abdelkader, and Huskins.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Perry

Tatar-Helm-Zetterberg

Miller-Andersson-Eaves

Ferraro-Emmerton-Tootoo

Callahan-Jarnkrok

Yandle-Ericsson

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Lashoff

Ouelette

Schneider

Mrazek