• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRedWings1993

J.M. Liles potentially available

Rate this topic

According to ESPN via Terry Koshan of the Toronto Star, the rumor is that the Leafs could move John-Michael Liles before the trade deadline. He's been a healthy-scratch for four games in a row. He's a solid defenseman when playing the way he should. Not the top-flight #1 we need, but it's a step in the right direction. Again, all depends on which Ken Holland is working the phones: the one willing to make deals to improve the roster, or the one who sits on his money and does nothing while everyone around him gets better.

For us, I think I'd keep White over Liles -- relative same size but younger, right-handed, and lower-cap hit.

Liles is almost $4million until 2015-16

We need a shutdown guy or a LEGIT #1 more than another decent but not exceptional puck-mover.

I can see why Toronto is going to try to move Liles and Komisarek (possible buy out of Komi.) They can bring up Gardiner to fill in Liles' role, and can get a much cheaper vet to fill in for Komi, or even improve their defensive corp with those saved dollars. Additionally, those moves will gIve them some cap room to shore up their RFAs and allow them to make some off-season or trade deadline moves.

Guest DeGraa55

Honestly we have 2-10 figured out in terms of defense. We just don't have a number one yet. No sense to trade for someone not a number one!

Honestly we have 2-10 figured out in terms of defense. We just don't have a number one yet. No sense to trade for someone not a number one!

Sorry I just hate this argument. It's about how you play as a team, not how many superstars you have. Plenty of teams have a Hedman, or Doughty, or Weber, or Phaneuf, or Markov, or Chara, or Ennis, or Yandle, or Pietrangelo, or Letang, and don't win. Look at NJD's defense last year. Mediocre, but played like a tight/elite unit.

Well number9, Tyler Ennis is a forward, but I see your point. You probably meant Tyler Myers, I understand what you're saying. However, having no #1 is worse than having one, period. You could argue that Salvador emerged as NJ's #1, or that Zidlicky or Larsson were in the conversation for that role. Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges. Top to bottom, NJ's defense corps is MUCH better than ours. A lot more depth and a lot less dead weight (Ericsson, Kindl, Quincey). When three of our 6 nightly defenseman are as useless as those three, we've got troubles.

We may not have the option to trade for a legit #1 this year, e-prime and DeGraa. If we can't find one available (and they don't become available often), we may need to make do with what we can get. Guys like Drew Doughty, Keith Yandle, and Kris Letang don't just go up for grabs every day. If Liles is the best we can get, we would be well-served to explore that option. I would, personally, rather have Mark Streit, but the recent talk of a contract extension have quieted those trade rumors quite a bit. I don't really see any candidates on defense this year who fit our need. We needed Kronwall to be that guy and he simply hasn't been.

I doubt Toronto would move him unless they fall out of the playoff picture. While Liles and Komisarek are probably going to be amnesty buyouts this summer, they'll provide the Leafs with solid depth down the stretch and into the playoffs for the rest of the season. If teams want to take a stab at Liles, they'll probably wait until this summer when he will most likely become a UFA.

No sense in the Red Wings taking on the huge cap hit of a guy that is a #7/8 dman in Toronto. The Red Wings have plenty of dmen like Liles.

Liles is not what we need at all. I would prefer to keep White over him as well. : (

I agree that going after Liles doesn't make sense in that we have a ton of depth dmen and not high end talent. Honestly I like the way the D has been playing and would only want to make a move to bring in a guy that will be on the top pair here.

oranges. Top to bottom, NJ's defense corps is MUCH better than ours. A lot more depth and a lot less dead weight (Ericsson, Kindl, Quincey). When three of our 6 nightly defenseman are as useless as those three, we've got troubles.

Wow...do you watch the games?????....Big Rig, Kindl AND Quincey have been MUCH better than the 1st ten games. Thats just a ridiculous statement

NJ Currentsly has 4 players who are plus players ( Green, Larsson, Volchenkov and Talinder) combined for a plus 10. The 6 defense corps have scored 37 pts.

We have 4 guys as well who are plus players ( Big Rig, Kindl, Q and Smith) combined for a +28pts .... all the guys you mentioned that are dead weight Our defense corps have scored 44 points.

Who's deeper and has less daed weight??

Edited by Motown4013

Guest Crymson

According to ESPN via Terry Koshan of the Toronto Star, the rumor is that the Leafs could move John-Michael Liles before the trade deadline. He's been a healthy-scratch for four games in a row. He's a solid defenseman when playing the way he should. Not the top-flight #1 we need, but it's a step in the right direction. Again, all depends on which Ken Holland is working the phones: the one willing to make deals to improve the roster, or the one who sits on his money and does nothing while everyone around him gets better.

Liles is mediocre in the defensive zone and average in the offensive zone, has a horrific contract, and has been a healthy scratch for most of this season. I do not at all understand where you have gotten the notion that he would improve this team in any way. At the very best, his acquisition would constitute a lateral move, and it would be a significant step backward in terms of offseason flexibility.

If Liles is the best we can get, we would be well-served to explore that option.

If Liles is the best we can get, then we would be best served to do nothing, for he is a terrible option.

Edited by Crymson