• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Red Wings to be in an Eastern conference in latest NHL/NHLPA proposal

Rate this topic

Ugh what? No it's not...

Now that is just silly. The east from top to bottom is a physical conference. Always has been. That doesn't mean they are better just a different style of play. Out west only the Ducks, kings, and blues play a similier style to the eastern teams. You think we have injury issues now, wait untill we have to play physical hockey every night. baring changes of course.....

Guest DeGraa55

DET/TOR

DET/BOS

DET/MTL

+Limited Western trips

Please please please let this realignment happen

Plus home and home with every other team is awesome!!!

Me for one.

Buf, Tor and Bos are fine. However, I couldn't give two sharts about the Habs.

Much rather watch a Nash/Det tilt that one involving the CH.

I love this. Wish they would just swap Detroit and Winnipeg to keep it balanced between east/west, but geographically it makes sense to move Columbus as well. Not really fair to the divisions with eight teams compared to seven.

However, Toronto, Boston and Montreal is a beautiful thing. How can any Red Wings fan not like that over Nashville and Columbus?

Funny, when the Wings were the Best in the West and Better than All The Rest, Bettman would have no talk of the Wings moving East. Now that the Eastern teams seem to be better than the Western teams and the Wings in a rebuild, he is all about them being moved to a conference to where they will get their assess kicked and probably miss the playoffs 10 years in a row... Your hatred for Detroit has grown tiresome Gary, dont let me see you walking down the street alone!

you act like were in 15th place

Pretty cool realignment plan...I think everyone here is happy to see Detroit split up from Columbus...that never developed into a rivalry even though the teams are basically on top of each other. Very happy to see the Wings back with the Leafs, and now Montreal and Boston as well. And Stevie Y in TB. Very very cool.

Surprised to hear about a wild-card, especially after my post about it was laughed at on here. :lol:

On one hand I love that we would be in the East. Better game start times and less wear on a traditionally older team.

On the other hand I think that we are in the weakest and most boring conference. The 2 West conferences are rife with existing rivalries. The other East conference is even more stacked with rivalries, including the hottest one in recent memory (PIT/PHI). Although we have 4 of the O6 in the conference, the only real rivalry existing right now is BOS/MTL. DET/TOR would most likely start up again just because of the history, and BOS may also become a heated rivalry, but we have both Florida teams and Buffalo, not to mention a historically BORING Ottawa team.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives, but I also think that under this alignment we will definitely see the most boring, un-heated hockey, at least in the first season.

I logged in just to complain about this... I know some might remember me being vocal on this. I got little problem with the idea... but why must they make 8 and 7 team conferences?!?!? that just isn't fair. Why not just move Detroit East if you are going to do that? I just don't get that crap at all. If the only change they made was moving Detroit east then the playoffs won't be ruined and no one has a statistically worse chance of making the playoffs. The only people screwed are Columbus and they don't deserve anything anyways. I am again tweeting with the #moveDetroitEast and #nounbalancedconferences tags. I want to see us play boston Mon Ott and TOR more... but I don't want us missing the playoffs because we have to play against 8 teams instead of 7... that is bulls***.

Maj, what do you think about the unbalanced divisions in the context of the wild-card idea that they're going to propose?

On one hand I love that we would be in the East. Better game start times and less wear on a traditionally older team.

On the other hand I think that we are in the weakest and most boring conference. The 2 West conferences are rife with existing rivalries. The other East conference is even more stacked with rivalries, including the hottest one in recent memory (PIT/PHI). Although we have 4 of the O6 in the conference, the only real rivalry existing right now is BOS/MTL. DET/TOR would most likely start up again just because of the history, and BOS may also become a heated rivalry, but we have both Florida teams and Buffalo, not to mention a historically BORING Ottawa team.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives, but I also think that under this alignment we will definitely see the most boring, un-heated hockey, at least in the first season.

I have to disagree with the boring thing. The 4 original 6 teams have traditional rivalries (boston-toronto, boston-montreal, toronto-montreal, toronto-detroit are all existing rivalries, detroit will develop rivalries with montreal and boston too when we actually play them more than once a season) Then theres ottawa-toronto, ottawa-buffalo had a thing a few years ago when both teams were good, and toronto-buffalo. I think Detroit-Tampa could be interesting with the Yzerman factor, and I'm assuming within 5 years this conference will lose the Panthers and gain Quebec City (which will have a rivalry with montreal). Finally, divisional playoffs will more than likely cause non-geographic/non-traditional rivalries. Think about Detroit-San Jose or Chicago-Vancouver today or even Detroit-Colorado 15 years ago. Battling the same team in multiple playoffs will forge new rivalries.

I will be thrilled for the Wings to be in the East, regardless. The Wings traditionally got killed on those West Coast trips - remember that? Plus we won't need to start watching games at 10:30 once the playoffs come around. The team will benefit greatly from the lack of travel. And, as mentioned several times before, the O6 matchups will be awesome!

Make things right, Gary.

This realignment kind of looks like a precursor to some kind of expansion later. I know there has been talk of second Toronto and Quebec teams but those western conferences sure look like Kansas City and Seattle would slot right in there.

This realignment kind of looks like a precursor to some kind of expansion later. I know there has been talk of second Toronto and Quebec teams but those western conferences sure look like Kansas City and Seattle would slot right in there.

Kansas City will likely never get a team.

Seattle is in line for a Sonics return. I don't see two sports teams going there at the same time. They'll have to see if the NBA can work there again, before inviting the NHL to move in.

No. I want that too.

You may be the only two then....

Wings belong in the East. Even throwing tradition of the O6 out the window, they are in the Eastern Time Zone and need to be in the East. Plus it will force Holland's hand to adapt this team to a larger type player style of team. Today the best teams are in the East and the Wings need to be with the best teams... I am all for it! Even if it means being in that division that would whoop us around for a bit, but like I said, it'll force Holland to change his team to compete in an Eastern Conference type of game...

You may be the only two then....

Wings belong in the East. Even throwing tradition of the O6 out the window, they are in the Eastern Time Zone and need to be in the East. Plus it will force Holland's hand to adapt this team to a larger type player style of team. Today the best teams are in the East and the Wings need to be with the best teams... I am all for it! Even if it means being in that division that would whoop us around for a bit, but like I said, it'll force Holland to change his team to compete in an Eastern Conference type of game...

I agree with you on most points, but I wouldn't say the "best" teams are in the east, definitely the bigger teams though. Detroit being in the East would be so much better though for a few reasons, travel would not be nearly as bad. We would get to see detroit and toronto as lot more, which is always fun to watch, and then we would have teams like forida, tampa and buffalo to beat, and we can embarrass ryan miller a lot more often, and drew miller can brag at family parties aboutt how he always embarrasses his brother on the ice :D