• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Red Wings to be in an Eastern conference in latest NHL/NHLPA proposal

Rate this topic

Looks like the NHL has two scheduling plans out. The one mentioned by Bob McKenzie, and then the one mentioned by Pierre LeBrun. So it could go either way at the moment.

Bob McKenzie is now breaking down the scheduling matrix according to the "alternative" plan (the plan tweeted by LeBrun)...

In addition to the proposed plan I tweeted out earlier, there's an alternative plan with new terminology.

This alternative plan would be Pacific and Mid-West divisions in Western Conference and Central and Atlantic divisions in Eastern Conference

West team plays 16 East teams home/away for 32. West plays other out of division but in conference 3x per team (21). 29 GP within division.

(Conference One)

WEST

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Las Vegas Coyotes

Colorado Avalanche

CENTRAL

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

St Louis Blues

Detroit Red Wings

Columbus Blue Jackets

EAST

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques (formerly Lightning)

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Halifax Predators

(Conference Two)

WEST

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Saskatoon Panthers

Winnipeg Jets

CENTRAL

Ottawa Senators

Hamilton Tigers (formerly Dallas Stars)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

EAST

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Hartford Whalers (formerly Hurricanes)

Washington Capitals

Create some kind of baseball-like format from those divisions. This would be my dream NHL in 10 or so years. You can even rename the divisions Smythe, Patrick, etc. Or create new names like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Going to be so nice not having to stay up until 1 am for playoff games. Really like the conferences.

I'm not too big on the whole original 6 thing as others, teams change every 5 years. I like watching good players, and see Seguin, and Stamkos for years to come will be fun, along with making trips to Toronto for games. I really like it.

I hate this move. This seperates us from our historic Western Confrence Rivals. Plus as someone in the Central Time zone I love the late game.

More like it reunites us with some original 6 rivalries. Since you're from Illinois you're probably thinking HAwks, but besides them other rivalries are a product of the most resent configuration.

4 Original 6 teams in one division baby I love it. Sure the Wings are losing Chicago but they are going to gain 3 ! Original 6 teams so heres to hope for a revival of some good old fashioned Leafs Wings wars.

One thing for sure though, this team will need to bring in a big heavyweight because the East is filled with these guys. So going hard after McGrattan is a must.

(Conference One)

WEST

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Las Vegas Coyotes

Colorado Avalanche

CENTRAL

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

St Louis Blues

Detroit Red Wings

Columbus Blue Jackets

EAST

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques (formerly Lightning)

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Halifax Predators

(Conference Two)

WEST

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Saskatoon Panthers

Winnipeg Jets

CENTRAL

Ottawa Senators

Hamilton Stars

Toronto Maple Leafs

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

EAST

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Hartford Whalers (formerly Hurricanes)

Washington Capitals

Create some kind of baseball-like format from those divisions. This would be my dream NHL in 10 or so years. You can even rename the divisions Smythe, Patrick, etc. Or create new names like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc.

With Bettman in control the division names would be;

Sidney

Crosby

Golden

Child

man love

ilovecrosbysomuch

Guest The Axe

Forget them.

Believe me, you will love the Saskatoon Panthers and the Halifax Predators.

No money there. Portland and Seattle = $$$.

Doesn't having 7 and 8 team divisons sound like a step backwards? This is like the 1950's when Baseball had 8 team American and National Leagues.

Just wait for the outcry when there's teams that miss the playoffs in one division with better records over teams with worse records in weaker divisions. I still don't understand what's wrong with the current set up. I'm not a fan of 16 teams making the playoffs, but at least with 3 division in each conference you get the 8 best teams in each conference making the playoffs. The only downside is the 3rd seed may have less points then teams seeded 4-8, but it's not that big of a deal.

No money there. Portland and Seattle = $$$.

Seattle is about to welcome their NBA team back. I can't remember any city getting NBA and NHL teams in a short period of time. They have to make sure the NBA can work there again first.

Portland is a maybe as well.

Doesn't having 7 and 8 team divisons sound like a step backwards? This is like the 1950's when Baseball had 8 team American and National Leagues.

Just wait for the outcry when there's teams that miss the playoffs in one division with better records over teams with worse records in weaker divisions. I still don't understand what's wrong with the current set up. I'm not a fan of 16 teams making the playoffs, but at least with 3 division in each conference you get the 8 best teams in each conference making the playoffs. The only downside is the 3rd seed may have less points then teams seeded 4-8, but it's not that big of a deal.

You still have 9 seeds missing the playoffs with better records than a 7 seed in the other Conference. That argument will always exist, until you get rid of the conference system altogether, and reseed everyone once the playoffs begin.

Because of travel issues, that will unlikely happen. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-3-2 format, which can eliminate those travel concerns, though.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The new CBA cuts operating costs and fixing travel cuts costs.

This is textbook positioning for expansion.

The imbalance created will be offset by two new teams out west.

Two more teams equals more money for the NHL.

Most people who want Detroit in the West want it for selfish reasons, I want them in the East for selfish reasons.

The question is, 'What does the team want?'

Atleast the realignment is considered positive by the Wings.
If that means you see less games in person and the team wins more games in general, so be it.

Moving east would be one of the best things that could happen to the Redwings, unless you thing they like all of those west coast trips, and 10:30 pm playoff games.

Many of you talk about how the Redwings will lose many of their rivalries, but just keep in mind that none of those even hold a candle to the one they had with Toronto back in the day. Not playing Chicago and St. Louis as much would be the only negative. I won't miss San Jose, Anaslime, or Colorado.

I don't see how anyone can be against the Wings being reunited with two traditional rivals in Toronto and Montreal and not having to worry about all of those west coast trips every year. I suspect it's for selfish reasons.

So I was looking for a map of the the proposed realignment conferences to see how things lined up geographically, and while I found one on a random ass blog that had nothing to do with hockey, I also ran across this and all the different scenarios about made my head explode. Figured some of you would like to see these possible scenarios, albeit somewhat extravagant (contraction, expansion, relocation, etc...you'll see).

http://www.tomfulery.com/nhl-realignment-maps/