• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Red Wings to be in an Eastern conference in latest NHL/NHLPA proposal

Rate this topic

Moving east would be one of the best things that could happen to the Redwings, unless you thing they like all of those west coast trips, and 10:30 pm playoff games.

Many of you talk about how the Redwings will lose many of their rivalries, but just keep in mind that none of those even hold a candle to the one they had with Toronto back in the day. Not playing Chicago and St. Louis as much would be the only negative. I won't miss San Jose, Anaslime, or Colorado.

I don't see how anyone can be against the Wings being reunited with two traditional rivals in Toronto and Montreal and not having to worry about all of those west coast trips every year. I suspect it's for selfish reasons.

Losing rivalries is a fan thing. But we need to realize that it's better for the team to travel less. That should make us happy if they're more rested and ready to play, since that's the focus when we complain about rivalries. We'll develop new ones. Chicago and Nashville were annoying anyway. Chicago's full of bandwagon dbag fans and Nashville are just annoying with their redneck chants and country music. Bring on TO and Montreal. At least their fans know hockey and have been fans for generations. Those will be better rivalries than Detroit shredding the boring Preds after they've gone back to sucking.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

After seeing the embarrassing mess that Uncle Gary created when he came to his senses and finally moved Atlanta to Winnipeg, along with this newest proposed alignment, is this statement more fact than fiction: teams that are no longer fiscally viable will find a new home in a more geographically friendly area.

As an example, when the grim reaper comes and sounds the death knell once and for all in Glendale, they will more likely find a new home in Seattle than in Quebec City.

As an aside, don't forget Markham.

Losing rivalries is a fan thing. But we need to realize that it's better for the team to travel less. That should make us happy if they're more rested and ready to play, since that's the focus when we complain about rivalries. We'll develop new ones. Chicago and Nashville were annoying anyway. Chicago's full of bandwagon dbag fans and Nashville are just annoying with their redneck chants and country music. Bring on TO and Montreal. At least their fans know hockey and have been fans for generations. Those will be better rivalries than Detroit shredding the boring Preds after they've gone back to sucking.

I agree, and it baffles me that not all Wings fans feel the same way. Seriously, how many times have the Redwings won it all when they had to play multiple playoff series' in the Pacific time zone. I can't think of any.

Like I said, I suspect those Wings fans who are against this are mostly those who live out west and are used to seeing them so many times a year.

Edited by Redwings 1926

You know the Panthers and Lightning will love having Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, and Boston in their division.

All of those teams have TONS of fans in Florida. Every time I saw the Redwings play in either of those cities, it was like watching a game at the Joe Louis Arena. Initially, I thought it was just that way because the Redwings played in a different conference, but nope, it was the same way when I saw Montreal play the Florida Panthers back in 2007.

So I was looking for a map of the the proposed realignment conferences to see how things lined up geographically, and while I found one on a random ass blog that had nothing to do with hockey, I also ran across this and all the different scenarios about made my head explode. Figured some of you would like to see these possible scenarios, albeit somewhat extravagant (contraction, expansion, relocation, etc...you'll see).

http://www.tomfulery.com/nhl-realignment-maps/

So the NHL should have hired that guy instead...because this makes more sense (although I totally like the Leafs/Wings together again):

nhlMap6.jpg

I think before any conference realignments are done the NHL should figure out what Phoenix is doing and if they are adding two more teams and all that stuff. Wait till all the franchises are completely stable before we start trying to realign everything or things could get screwed up and need another realignment 4 or 5 years down the road.

The new CBA cuts operating costs and fixing travel cuts costs.

This is textbook positioning for expansion.

The imbalance created will be offset by two new teams out west.

Two more teams equals more money for the NHL.

Most people who want Detroit in the West want it for selfish reasons, I want them in the East for selfish reasons.

The question is, 'What does the team want?'

Atleast the realignment is considered positive by the Wings.

If that means you see less games in person and the team wins more games in general, so be it.

Every post game or pre game I have seen where any player was asked about the wings moving to the east (even babs too) said it was the first they heard of it, but that it would be great

I think before any conference realignments are done the NHL should figure out what Phoenix is doing and if they are adding two more teams and all that stuff. Wait till all the franchises are completely stable before we start trying to realign everything or things could get screwed up and need another realignment 4 or 5 years down the road.

That could take years, and right now, the league needs to address more urgent issues, like the fact that a team from western Canada plays in the Southeast Division, or the fact that two teams in the eastern timezone play in the Western Conference.

If we sit back and wait on the Coyotes then nothing will change. We'll still be complaining about the same issues 5 or 6 years from now.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix stays or goes. If they do move then one thing I am willing to bet is that it won't be somewhere in the eastern timezone, sorry Metropolitan Toronto. The Maple Leafs, Senators, and Sabres would fight it to the death, and there are too many decent sized markets in the western US that would love to have an NHL franchise, aka Seattle, Portland, and even Kansas City.

Dreger's tweeting that the PA isn't happy about the playoff imbalance. He says its probably 50/50 as to whether or not they approve the deal.

The owners, however, are wanting this deal as-is, so they're going to try to get it pushed through without any changes.

This is all starting to sound very familiar...

Dreger's tweeting that the PA isn't happy about the playoff imbalance. He says its probably 50/50 as to whether or not they approve the deal.

The owners, however, are wanting this deal as-is, so they're going to try to get it pushed through without any changes.

Sooo another lockout coming? Just play the damn game and stop the sideshows. The NHL is really turning into a joke.

That could take years, and right now, the league needs to address more urgent issues, like the fact that a team from western Canada plays in the Southeast Division, or the fact that two teams in the eastern timezone play in the Western Conference.

If we sit back and wait on the Coyotes then nothing will change. We'll still be complaining about the same issues 5 or 6 years from now.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix stays or goes. If they do move then one thing I am willing to bet is that it won't be somewhere in the eastern timezone, sorry Metropolitan Toronto. The Maple Leafs, Senators, and Sabres would fight it to the death, and there are too many decent sized markets in the western US that would love to have an NHL franchise, aka Seattle, Portland, and even Kansas City.

I understand that Winnipeg playing in the southeast is a big problem, but there is a much quicker and easier fix than a complete conference realignment. Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, and bump Nashville to the Southeast. Much easier to shift three teams then completely redo the league. And this can even act as a temporary fix until we can really address realignment down the line once Phoenix's fate is clear as well as expansion and other teams moving.

I understand that Winnipeg playing in the southeast is a big problem, but there is a much quicker and easier fix than a complete conference realignment. Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, and bump Nashville to the Southeast. Much easier to shift three teams then completely redo the league. And this can even act as a temporary fix until we can really address realignment down the line once Phoenix's fate is clear as well as expansion and other teams moving.

Great now what about the wings in there?

This to me is a legitimate reason for the PA to not want to agree to the proposal, and of course Uncle Gary, unwilling to negotiate...

Great now what about the wings in there?

Wings don't NEED to be moved right away so the smart move would be to wait until everything is settled before they begin the real realignment. Otherwise they may end up having to do another realignment 3 or 4 years after the first.

Wings don't NEED to be moved right away so the smart move would be to wait until everything is settled before they begin the real realignment. Otherwise they may end up having to do another realignment 3 or 4 years after the first.

Wings first of all were promised when the leafs left to be the next team to move, and they most certainly DO need to be moved, and have needed to be moved for years

Wings first of all were promised when the leafs left to be the next team to move, and they most certainly DO need to be moved, and have needed to be moved for years

They've done just fine in the Central for a while. They don't need to be moved like Winnipeg needs to be.

They've done just fine in the Central for a while. They don't need to be moved like Winnipeg needs to be.

why can't winnipeg get use to the long road trips then too, they should do just fine as well. After all we're use to it now so why cant they get use to it, since we've done just fine right...

I found a website that calculates air travel miles. If the Wings were in the conference/division with Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, their travel would overall be shorter than being with Boston, Buffalo, Miami, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. (I took Colorado out, thinking that they would move to the Pacific. Denver is 999 Nautical Miles)

Nautical Miles

Boston 532 Chicago 219

Buffalo 191 Dallas 875

Miami 1,006 Minnesota 467

Montreal 440 Nashville 414

Ottawa 362 St. Louis 400

Tampa 866 Winnipeg 741

Toronto 167

Total 3,564 Total 3,116

One less team in the "Central", and only a 1 hour time difference. Although we would play 1 more game against each team (6) as opposed to 5 in the 8 team setup.

I found a website that calculates air travel miles. If the Wings were in the conference/division with Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, their travel would overall be shorter than being with Boston, Buffalo, Miami, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. (I took Colorado out, thinking that they would move to the Pacific. Denver is 999 Nautical Miles)

Nautical Miles

Boston 532 Chicago 219

Buffalo 191 Dallas 875

Miami 1,006 Minnesota 467

Montreal 440 Nashville 414

Ottawa 362 St. Louis 400

Tampa 866 Winnipeg 741

Toronto 167

Total 3,564 Total 3,116

One less team in the "Central", and only a 1 hour time difference. Although we would play 1 more game against each team (6) as opposed to 5 in the 8 team setup.

well then remove florida or something... you have 6 teams on one side, and 7 on the other, they won't play less games, so in reality it's actually more... and plus most of those cities are closer travel to us. just to average it out you should divide the 3,116 by 6 teams which gives you 519, add that to the 6 teams and you get 3,635. It would actually probably end up being more, depending on who the extra games are played against...

why can't winnipeg get use to the long road trips then too, they should do just fine as well. After all we're use to it now so why cant they get use to it, since we've done just fine right...

Because it's not just conference road trips which really aren't that much travel since you only fly out west once and just stay there for a while. This a case where a divisional opponent that you have to play significantly more than everyone else is now. It's not just that they have a few more long distance road trips, it's that now they have to fly halfway across the country every other game. Detroit does not.

Edited by CrimsonFlame

Why would I remove Florida? Those are the proposed divisons. Denver would move to the Pacific, giving them 8 teams, while Detroit would be part of a 7 team divison. If we go to the Boston division, we will play those teams 5 times, and 6 each if we were in the Chicago division. So yes we would play each of "Central" teams one extra game.

well then remove florida or something... you have 6 teams on one side, and 7 on the other, they won't play less games, so in reality it's actually more... and plus most of those cities are closer travel to us. just to average it out you should divide the 3,116 by 6 teams which gives you 519, add that to the 6 teams and you get 3,635. It would actually probably end up being more, depending on who the extra games are played against...

Because it's not just conference road trips which really aren't that much travel since you only fly out west once and just stay there for a while. This a case where a divisional opponent that you have to play significantly more than everyone else is now. It's not just that they have a few more long distance road trips, it's that now they have to fly halfway across the country every other game. Detroit does not.

so in march, detroit has to go to ohio, then back to detroit then to calgary, then edmonton, then vancouver, then back to detroit, then to anaheim, phoenix, san jose then back to detroit... detroits schedule is just fine, you're right, my bad...

Why would I remove Florida? Those are the proposed divisons. Denver would move to the Pacific, giving them 8 teams, while Detroit would be part of a 7 team divison. If we go to the Boston division, we will play those teams 5 times, and 6 each if we were in the Chicago division. So yes we would play each of "Central" teams one extra game.

exactly, so your math is misleading, you are not including the extra travel time for the extra games

8910 total miles if we're in the east, and 9348 total miles in the west, against our own division, only including road games

so in march, detroit has to go to ohio, then back to detroit then to calgary, then edmonton, then vancouver, then back to detroit, then to anaheim, phoenix, san jose then back to detroit... detroits schedule is just fine, you're right, my bad...

The west coast teams have to fly out east just as much as the Wings do. Don't forget they have to play out in Detroit Chicago St Louis Columbus and Nashville too. It's not like the Red Wings are the only team in the league that has to travel long distance. And my whole point anyway was that a few conference games is not on the same level as having a divisional opponent a thousand miles away.

The west coast teams have to fly out east just as much as the Wings do. Don't forget they have to play out in Detroit Chicago St Louis Columbus and Nashville too. It's not like the Red Wings are the only team in the league that has to travel long distance. And my whole point anyway was that a few conference games is not on the same level as having a divisional opponent a thousand miles away.

I agree Winnipeg has a raw deal, but that was because they took Atlanta's spot, we have been in a bad spot a lot longer then they have