• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Red Wings to be in an Eastern conference in latest NHL/NHLPA proposal

Rate this topic

I say we all meet for a weekend in Montreal and take a game in. Blow the doors right off that city. Sacre Bleu!

Went to Montreal in '93 on a Redmond Travel trip. Had a great time, seeing the Forum, but it is a 10 hour trip by train. If you go and have the money, I'd consider flying.

Haven't been to T.O. for a game since '96, so that'll be on my list. Always had a blast taking the train, which departed out of Windsor. Tunnel to Riverside Dr., east to the Hiram Walker Plant, and it's right there.

Boston is another great city to visit. Lot of historical sites, and plenty of pubs. Flew there for a Wings' game in '94. Only O6 city I haven't seen a game is New York.

Went to Montreal in '93 on a Redmond Travel trip. Had a great time, seeing the Forum, but it is a 10 hour trip by train. If you go and have the money, I'd consider flying.

Haven't been to T.O. for a game since '96, so that'll be on my list. Always had a blast taking the train, which departed out of Windsor. Tunnel to Riverside Dr., east to the Hiram Walker Plant, and it's right there.

Boston is another great city to visit. Lot of historical sites, and plenty of pubs. Flew there for a Wings' game in '94. Only O6 city I haven't seen a game is New York.

Ive been to most major North American cities and Montreal is one of my Favs. If you cant have fun in Montreal youre a corpse. Boston is also a blast.

Ive been to most major North American cities and Montreal is one of my Favs. If you cant have fun in Montreal youre a corpse. Boston is also a blast.

Unfortunately we were only there 2 nights. Left out of Windsor early Friday, and came back Sunday. So we didn't have much time to really check it out. Boston was a great trip. Wings beat the Bruins 7-4, and even though they were cleaning up from a big Noreaster, was still fun. Would love to go there in the summer.

I did go with a group of Wings' fans for a week long trip to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, with a day/night in Banff, January 2000. Banff is absolutely beautiful, and Vancouver was great too. Go to go dogsledding in Banff, and we stayed 3 nights in Vancouver. Also met Randy Bachman in the Calgary airport.

If Phoenix ends up moving don't forget that Seattle and KC are in the running for teams too. KC nearly had the Pens a few years ago. When they say re-evaluate in a couple years, I think that basically means, how well are the Islanders, Panthers and Devils financially and could they potentially move to a Western city. After a couple years of the Wings playing the Rangers, Bruins, Leafs and Canadiens, the NHL would have to be nuts to send us back to the West. I think we're in the East for good guys. Hallelujah!

In all honesty, I don't see any of those teams leaving their current markets. It's pretty much been confirmed that the Islanders will be moving to Brooklyn in a few years. The Devils have a brand spanking new arena right in downtown Newark. As for the Panthers? Being in a division with all of those northern teams should help their attendance.

As one who grew up in south Florida, I've been to a lot of Panthers games, usually to see the Red Wings. I've seen them play other popular teams, like the Flyers and Canadiens as well, and during every one of those games, the arena was packed.

Yeah the giant train station closed then, but there's an Amtrak station in Detroit.

I believe they cut all Michigan passenger rail links with Ontario a few years back. I used to take the blue water line from Flint, through Sarnia, and on to Toronto. Then it was axed suddenly during the Bush years :(

With all of the games the Red Wings will be playing against the Maple Leafs now, it sure would be nice to have that. But, let's face it. Michigan, the birthplace of the auto industry, isn't exactly known for it's wonderful public transportation. It's probably about accessible there as whiskey is in Tehran.

Ok, moving to the EAST. GREAT! Awesome! Glab to see the Habs, ML's, and Bruins ona regular basis again. On a more serious side, how mcuh do we beef up? The EC teams play a slower-good for us, much more physical style-bad for us. Playing a bigger more physical team once in a while, isn't an issue. but doing it night after night, will become an issue. Our D has the size needed to handle it, but we are very small up front. How much and how fast do you think we will make changes? Slowly through the draft only? Or faster via trades and FA?

You probably have to go to Windsor. The train station in Detroit closed in 1988.

I'll miss the Blackhawks rivalry, but look forward to playing the Leafs more, and certainly won't miss those late starts.

sorry, this is going to be off topic but i thought it was crazy enough to share..

but yea, that train station closed and has long been abandoned and basically destroyed. but, i was in detroit with a friend getting coffee and a bite to eat when i noticed there were 2 new windows put in at the top of the station.. very interesting. don't know what it means but her and i couldn't stop looking at it as all the other windows have long been shattered.

anyway, back on topic, i am looking forward to the leafs as well and playing the blackhawks less just means when we do face them, it'll be that much more intense.

and definitely glad there wont be as many late starts.

Since its official, and no longer a "proposal", its time to close this thread.

There's already a new thread up discussing the official changes, so feel free to continue the conversation there.