Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

^Seattle can work.

#122 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Based on timeline Daly gave me recently, NHL wants realignmentwrapped up in next week.

Anyone miss facing Chicago 6 times a season?

f*** Chicago.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#123 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

The new CBA cuts operating costs and fixing travel cuts costs.

This is textbook positioning for expansion.

The imbalance created will be offset by two new teams out west.

Two more teams equals more money for the NHL.

Most people who want Detroit in the West want it for selfish reasons, I want them in the East for selfish reasons.

The question is, 'What does the team want?'

Atleast the realignment is considered positive by the Wings.
If that means you see less games in person and the team wins more games in general, so be it.

#124 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

What happens when Quebec City wants the yotes though? I heard lebrun say Seattle would get a team then, that seems pretty stupid.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#125 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Moving east would be one of the best things that could happen to the Redwings, unless you thing they like all of those west coast trips, and 10:30 pm playoff games. 

Many of you talk about how the Redwings will lose many of their rivalries, but just keep in mind that none of those even hold a candle to the one they had with Toronto back in the day. Not playing Chicago and St. Louis as much would be the only negative. I won't miss San Jose, Anaslime, or Colorado. 

I don't see how anyone can be against the Wings being reunited with two traditional rivals in Toronto and Montreal and not having to worry about all of those west coast trips every year. I suspect it's for selfish reasons. 

#126 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

So I was looking for a map of the the proposed realignment conferences to see how things lined up geographically, and while I found one on a random ass blog that had nothing to do with hockey, I also ran across this and all the different scenarios about made my head explode.  Figured some of you would like to see these possible scenarios, albeit somewhat extravagant (contraction, expansion, relocation, etc...you'll see).

http://www.tomfulery...alignment-maps/

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#127 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Moving east would be one of the best things that could happen to the Redwings, unless you thing they like all of those west coast trips, and 10:30 pm playoff games. 

Many of you talk about how the Redwings will lose many of their rivalries, but just keep in mind that none of those even hold a candle to the one they had with Toronto back in the day. Not playing Chicago and St. Louis as much would be the only negative. I won't miss San Jose, Anaslime, or Colorado. 

I don't see how anyone can be against the Wings being reunited with two traditional rivals in Toronto and Montreal and not having to worry about all of those west coast trips every year. I suspect it's for selfish reasons. 

Losing rivalries is a fan thing. But we need to realize that it's better for the team to travel less. That should make us happy if they're more rested and ready to play, since that's the focus when we complain about rivalries. We'll develop new ones. Chicago and Nashville were annoying anyway. Chicago's full of bandwagon dbag fans and Nashville are just annoying with their redneck chants and country music. Bring on TO and Montreal. At least their fans know hockey and have been fans for generations. Those will be better rivalries than Detroit shredding the boring Preds after they've gone back to sucking.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 26 February 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#128 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

After seeing the embarrassing mess that Uncle Gary created when he came to his senses and finally moved Atlanta to Winnipeg, along with this newest proposed alignment, is this statement more fact than fiction: teams that are no longer fiscally viable will find a new home in a more geographically friendly area.

As an example, when the grim reaper comes and sounds the death knell once and for all in Glendale, they will more likely find a new home in Seattle than in Quebec City.

As an aside, don't forget Markham.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#129 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Moving to the east? Really?!

4543138674_b909613ac7.jpg

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#130 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Losing rivalries is a fan thing. But we need to realize that it's better for the team to travel less. That should make us happy if they're more rested and ready to play, since that's the focus when we complain about rivalries. We'll develop new ones. Chicago and Nashville were annoying anyway. Chicago's full of bandwagon dbag fans and Nashville are just annoying with their redneck chants and country music. Bring on TO and Montreal. At least their fans know hockey and have been fans for generations. Those will be better rivalries than Detroit shredding the boring Preds after they've gone back to sucking.

I agree, and it baffles me that not all Wings fans feel the same way. Seriously, how many times have the Redwings won it all when they had to play multiple playoff series' in the Pacific time zone. I can't think of any. 

Like I said, I suspect those Wings fans who are against this are mostly those who live out west and are used to seeing them so many times a year. 

Edited by Redwings 1926, 26 February 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#131 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

You know the Panthers and Lightning will love having Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, and Boston in their division. 

All of those teams have TONS of fans in Florida. Every time I saw the Redwings play in either of those cities, it was like watching a game at the Joe Louis Arena. Initially, I thought it was just that way because the Redwings played in a different conference, but nope, it was the same way when I saw Montreal play the Florida Panthers back in 2007. 

#132 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

So I was looking for a map of the the proposed realignment conferences to see how things lined up geographically, and while I found one on a random ass blog that had nothing to do with hockey, I also ran across this and all the different scenarios about made my head explode.  Figured some of you would like to see these possible scenarios, albeit somewhat extravagant (contraction, expansion, relocation, etc...you'll see).

http://www.tomfulery...alignment-maps/

So the NHL should have hired that guy instead...because this makes more sense (although I totally like the Leafs/Wings together again):

nhlMap6.jpg

#133 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think before any conference realignments are done the NHL should figure out what Phoenix is doing and if they are adding two more teams and all that stuff.  Wait till all the franchises are completely stable before we start trying to realign everything or things could get screwed up and need another realignment 4 or 5 years down the road. 

#134 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

The new CBA cuts operating costs and fixing travel cuts costs.

This is textbook positioning for expansion.

The imbalance created will be offset by two new teams out west.

Two more teams equals more money for the NHL.

Most people who want Detroit in the West want it for selfish reasons, I want them in the East for selfish reasons.

The question is, 'What does the team want?'

Atleast the realignment is considered positive by the Wings.
If that means you see less games in person and the team wins more games in general, so be it.

Every post game or pre game I have seen where any player was asked about the wings moving to the east (even babs too) said it was the first they heard of it, but that it would be great

#135 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I think before any conference realignments are done the NHL should figure out what Phoenix is doing and if they are adding two more teams and all that stuff.  Wait till all the franchises are completely stable before we start trying to realign everything or things could get screwed up and need another realignment 4 or 5 years down the road. 

That could take years, and right now, the league needs to address more urgent issues, like the fact that a team from western Canada plays in the Southeast Division, or the fact that two teams in the eastern timezone play in the Western Conference. 

If we sit back and wait on the Coyotes then nothing will change. We'll still be complaining about the same issues 5 or 6 years from now. 

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix stays or goes. If they do move then one thing I am willing to bet is that it won't be somewhere in the eastern timezone, sorry Metropolitan Toronto. The Maple Leafs, Senators, and Sabres would fight it to the death, and there are too many decent sized markets in the western US that would love to have an NHL franchise, aka Seattle, Portland, and even Kansas City. 

#136 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Dreger's tweeting that the PA isn't happy about the playoff imbalance. He says its probably 50/50 as to whether or not they approve the deal.

The owners, however, are wanting this deal as-is, so they're going to try to get it pushed through without any changes.

This is all starting to sound very familiar...

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#137 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Dreger's tweeting that the PA isn't happy about the playoff imbalance. He says its probably 50/50 as to whether or not they approve the deal.

The owners, however, are wanting this deal as-is, so they're going to try to get it pushed through without any changes.

Sooo another lockout coming? Just play the damn game and stop the sideshows. The NHL is really turning into a joke.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#138 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

That could take years, and right now, the league needs to address more urgent issues, like the fact that a team from western Canada plays in the Southeast Division, or the fact that two teams in the eastern timezone play in the Western Conference. 

If we sit back and wait on the Coyotes then nothing will change. We'll still be complaining about the same issues 5 or 6 years from now. 

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix stays or goes. If they do move then one thing I am willing to bet is that it won't be somewhere in the eastern timezone, sorry Metropolitan Toronto. The Maple Leafs, Senators, and Sabres would fight it to the death, and there are too many decent sized markets in the western US that would love to have an NHL franchise, aka Seattle, Portland, and even Kansas City. 

I understand that Winnipeg playing in the southeast is a big problem, but there is a much quicker and easier fix than a complete conference realignment.  Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, and bump Nashville to the Southeast.  Much easier to shift three teams then completely redo the league.  And this can even act as a temporary fix until we can really address realignment down the line once Phoenix's fate is clear as well as expansion and other teams moving. 

#139 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Uncle Gary says: "My way or no way".

If it goes through, Detroit v. Chicago won't be the most prolific rivalry in League history for very much longer.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#140 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I understand that Winnipeg playing in the southeast is a big problem, but there is a much quicker and easier fix than a complete conference realignment.  Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central, and bump Nashville to the Southeast.  Much easier to shift three teams then completely redo the league.  And this can even act as a temporary fix until we can really address realignment down the line once Phoenix's fate is clear as well as expansion and other teams moving. 

Great now what about the wings in there?

This to me is a legitimate reason for the PA to not want to agree to the proposal, and of course Uncle Gary, unwilling to negotiate...