• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#141 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Great now what about the wings in there?

Wings don't NEED to be moved right away so the smart move would be to wait until everything is settled before they begin the real realignment.  Otherwise they may end up having to do another realignment 3 or 4 years after the first.

#142 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Wings don't NEED to be moved right away so the smart move would be to wait until everything is settled before they begin the real realignment.  Otherwise they may end up having to do another realignment 3 or 4 years after the first.

Wings first of all were promised when the leafs left to be the next team to move, and they most certainly DO need to be moved, and have needed to be moved for years

#143 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Wings first of all were promised when the leafs left to be the next team to move, and they most certainly DO need to be moved, and have needed to be moved for years

They've done just fine in the Central for a while.  They don't need to be moved like Winnipeg needs to be.

#144 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

They've done just fine in the Central for a while.  They don't need to be moved like Winnipeg needs to be.

why can't winnipeg get use to the long road trips then too, they should do just fine as well. After all we're use to it now so why cant they get use to it, since we've done just fine right...

#145 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I found a website that calculates air travel miles. If the Wings were in the conference/division with Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, their travel would overall be shorter than being with Boston, Buffalo, Miami, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. (I took Colorado out, thinking that they would move to the Pacific. Denver is 999 Nautical Miles)

Nautical Miles

Boston       532                                                                  Chicago      219

Buffalo        191                                                                 Dallas         875

Miami       1,006                                                                Minnesota   467

Montreal     440                                                                 Nashville     414

Ottawa        362                                                                 St. Louis     400

Tampa        866                                                                 Winnipeg    741  

Toronto      167

Total         3,564                                                                    Total   3,116   

One less team in the "Central", and only a 1 hour time difference.  Although we would play 1 more game against each team (6) as opposed to 5 in the 8 team setup.                                    

#146 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I found a website that calculates air travel miles. If the Wings were in the conference/division with Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg, their travel would overall be shorter than being with Boston, Buffalo, Miami, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. (I took Colorado out, thinking that they would move to the Pacific. Denver is 999 Nautical Miles)

Nautical Miles

Boston       532                                                                  Chicago      219

Buffalo        191                                                                 Dallas         875

Miami       1,006                                                                Minnesota   467

Montreal     440                                                                 Nashville     414

Ottawa        362                                                                 St. Louis     400

Tampa        866                                                                 Winnipeg    741  

Toronto      167

Total         3,564                                                                    Total   3,116   

One less team in the "Central", and only a 1 hour time difference.  Although we would play 1 more game against each team (6) as opposed to 5 in the 8 team setup.                                    

well then remove florida or something... you have 6 teams on one side, and 7 on the other, they won't play less games, so in reality it's actually more... and plus most of those cities are closer travel to us. just to average it out you should divide the 3,116 by 6 teams which gives you 519, add that to the 6 teams and you get 3,635. It would actually probably end up being more, depending on who the extra games are played against...

#147 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

why can't winnipeg get use to the long road trips then too, they should do just fine as well. After all we're use to it now so why cant they get use to it, since we've done just fine right...

Because it's not just conference road trips which really aren't that much travel since you only fly out west once and just stay there for a while.  This a case where a divisional opponent that you have to play significantly more than everyone else is now.  It's not just that they have a few more long distance road trips, it's that now they have to fly halfway across the country every other game.  Detroit does not. 

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 28 February 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#148 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Why would I remove Florida? Those are the proposed divisons. Denver would move to the Pacific, giving them 8 teams, while Detroit would be part of a 7 team divison. If we go to the Boston division, we will play those teams 5 times, and 6 each if we were in the Chicago division. So yes we would play each of "Central" teams one extra game.

well then remove florida or something... you have 6 teams on one side, and 7 on the other, they won't play less games, so in reality it's actually more... and plus most of those cities are closer travel to us. just to average it out you should divide the 3,116 by 6 teams which gives you 519, add that to the 6 teams and you get 3,635. It would actually probably end up being more, depending on who the extra games are played against...

#149 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Because it's not just conference road trips which really aren't that much travel since you only fly out west once and just stay there for a while.  This a case where a divisional opponent that you have to play significantly more than everyone else is now.  It's not just that they have a few more long distance road trips, it's that now they have to fly halfway across the country every other game.  Detroit does not. 

so in march, detroit has to go to ohio, then back to detroit then to calgary, then edmonton, then vancouver, then back to detroit, then to anaheim,  phoenix, san jose then back to detroit... detroits schedule is just fine, you're right, my bad...

Why would I remove Florida? Those are the proposed divisons. Denver would move to the Pacific, giving them 8 teams, while Detroit would be part of a 7 team divison. If we go to the Boston division, we will play those teams 5 times, and 6 each if we were in the Chicago division. So yes we would play each of "Central" teams one extra game.

exactly, so your math is misleading, you are not including the extra travel time for the extra games

8910 total miles if we're in the east, and 9348 total miles in the west, against our own division, only including road games

#150 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

so in march, detroit has to go to ohio, then back to detroit then to calgary, then edmonton, then vancouver, then back to detroit, then to anaheim,  phoenix, san jose then back to detroit... detroits schedule is just fine, you're right, my bad...

The west coast teams have to fly out east just as much as the Wings do.  Don't forget they have to play out in Detroit Chicago St Louis Columbus and Nashville too. It's not like the Red Wings are the only team in the league that has to travel long distance.  And my whole point anyway was that a few conference games is not on the same level as having a divisional opponent a thousand miles away.

#151 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

The west coast teams have to fly out east just as much as the Wings do.  Don't forget they have to play out in Detroit Chicago St Louis Columbus and Nashville too. It's not like the Red Wings are the only team in the league that has to travel long distance.  And my whole point anyway was that a few conference games is not on the same level as having a divisional opponent a thousand miles away.

I agree Winnipeg has a raw deal, but that was because they took Atlanta's spot, we have been in a bad spot a lot longer then they have

#152 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I was thinking about the whole baseball divisions idea and the more I think about it the more I like it.  Here' s a scenario I was thinking about.  East and West are eliminated all together and now we have two division, the Prince of Wales and the Campbell.  I'm sure you guys can come up with something more creative.  Each conference has it's own east central and west divisions

nhlbaseballstyle.png

I tried to keep the divisions relatively close in terms of how good the teams are as well as try and preserve some rivalries and also having to travel relatively similar distances.  I also managed to get all original six into one conference since that's important to a lot of people.  What do you guys think?

-=Prince of Wales=-     -=Campbell=-
*East*                         *East*
Tampa Bay Lightning     Montreal Canadiens
Carolina Hurricanes        Boston Bruins
Philadelphia Flyers       New York Rangers
Washington Capitols     New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils         Florida Panthers

*Central*                      *Central*
St. Louis Blues             Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators       Chicago Blackhawks
Buffalo Sabers              Pittsburgh Penguins
Ottawa Senators          Toronto Maple Leaves
Minnesota Wild            Columbus Blue Jackets

*West*                        *West*
Anaheim Ducks           San Jose Sharks
Phoenix Coyotes          Los Angeles Kings
Vancouver Canucks       Colorado Avelanche
Edmonton Oilers          Calgary Flames
Winnipeg Jets               Dallas Stars

*edit*

Looking at it now blue division is a lot more clustered compared to orange division so I would consider swaping CBJ for st louis or nashville.

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 28 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#153 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was thinking about the whole baseball divisions idea and the more I think about it the more I like it.  Here' s a scenario I was thinking about.  East and West are eliminated all together and now we have two division, the Prince of Wales and the Campbell.  I'm sure you guys can come up with something more creative.  Each conference has it's own east central and west divisions

nhlbaseballstyle.png

I tried to keep the divisions relatively close in terms of how good the teams are as well as try and preserve some rivalries and also having to travel relatively similar distances.  I also managed to get all original six into one conference since that's important to a lot of people.  What do you guys think?

-=Prince of Wales=-     -=Campbell=-
*East*                         *East*
Tampa Bay Lightning     Montreal Canadiens
Carolina Hurricanes        Boston Bruins
Philadelphia Flyers       New York Rangers
Washington Capitols     New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils         Florida Panthers

*Central*                      *Central*
St. Louis Blues             Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators       Chicago Blackhawks
Buffalo Sabers              Pittsburgh Penguins
Ottawa Senators          Toronto Maple Leaves
Minnesota Wild            Columbus Blue Jackets

*West*                        *West*
Anaheim Ducks           San Jose Sharks
Phoenix Coyotes          Los Angeles Kings
Vancouver Canucks       Colorado Avelanche
Edmonton Oilers          Calgary Flames
Winnipeg Jets               Dallas Stars

*edit*

Looking at it now blue division is a lot more clustered compared to orange division so I would consider swaping CBJ for st louis or nashville.

so you "get rid of" two conferences and instead call them divisions with different divisions in each. And the you RE-ALIGN the nhl anyways, which is exactly what you said we shouldn't do

#154 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

so you "get rid of" two conferences and instead call them divisions with different divisions in each. And the you RE-ALIGN the nhl anyways, which is exactly what you said we shouldn't do

This is purely for arguments sake to provide some alternative than to what others are proposing. 

#155 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

This is purely for arguments sake to provide some alternative than to what others are proposing. 

what most are "proposing" is the NHL's ACTUAL proposal

#156 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

The only team I get excited about seeing in the Central is Chicago.  I like this proposel, I would look forward to seeing Steve Yzerman's team, Toronto and Boston.  Montreal, Buffalo and Ottawa games would alright, with one dud team Florida.  Florida would still be more interesting than Columbus because of Huberdeau.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#157 Tane

Tane

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

7/8 team "conferences" with the top 4 teams making the playoffs is the absolute best scenario. Long term for the league, you have to understand they'll add 2 more teams. This is what I've been dying for since 93, Divisional playoffs. I want the first 2 rounds of the playoffs to be nothing but rivalry games. This is what creates rivalries Not playing the same team 8 times a year. but playing the same couple teams in the playoffs EVERY year. Imagine your first round opponent's going to be Montreal, Toronto, Boston every year. I get goose bumps thinking about this. I'd take having to go against 1 extra team every year. Perfect scenario, 4 Conferences of 8 teams, You play the other 3 home and home, and the rest is against your conference. Give me Montreal, Toronto, Boston 4 times a year at home, an I'm a 41 game season ticket holder next year. Wild card or Not, Make divisional Playoffs happen. 

I fear a top 3 team in each division plus 4 wild card team 1-16 seeding scenario. the playoffs lost luster when we had first rounds against non rivals like Edmonton, Anaheim, Calgary, San Jose, I loved when we knew we're going to war with Chicago, St.Louis, Toronto or Minnesota for the first 2 rounds every year. That's how Rivalries happen. 

4 divisions, Divisional playoffs, Divisional Championships, and Switch the Damn jerseys back to whites for the home teams, and Hockey will be back to being perfect for me.

#158 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

New Central Division
Detroit

Chicago

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

NYR

New Poop Division

Pittsburgh

Vancouver

San Jose

Colorado

St. Louis

Nashville

I'm still torn on whether or not Chicago should be in the Central Division or the Poop Division. Thoughts?

#159 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Keep em in the Central and dump their fans to the s*** division.

bringit.jpg

#160 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'd much rather keep Chicago San Jose Vancouver and Colorado than lose them and gain Boston and Montreal.  Thats really all I'd look forward to seeing in this promotion.  Tampa Bay is ok I guess, buffalo is pretty meh, and Toronto doesn't do anything for me.

I'm too old to agree with most of this, aside from not wanting to lose CHI. I had standing room only tickets in '93 when we lost in OT to Toronto in game 7 of the playoffs. Still bitter about that one and eager for revenge.