• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#161 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm too old to agree with most of this, aside from not wanting to lose CHI. I had standing room only tickets in '93 when we lost in OT to Toronto in game 7 of the playoffs. Still bitter about that one and eager for revenge.

When was the last time TO won the cup?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#162 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

When was the last time TO won the cup?

What does that have to do with it? Until a couple of years ago, CHI hadn't won a Cup in a long time. Were they not a rival when Chelios (as a Hawk) was blasting shots from the point in OT back in the 90s? Don't forget that nail-biting series against St. Louis when Yzerman scored the winner in OT. Was St. Louis not a rival because they hadn't won the Cup?

TO was a great rival to Detroit until the Leafs were shipped East. It was a shame it happened and should be rectified.

#163 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I highly approve if true.

I don't watch as many games as I used to, but given that I am so used to being an early bird during the week waking up before 5:00 am most days, any game that ends by 9:00-9:30 (8:00-8:30 my time) I am a happy camper with.

Plus, I started a new job this past week where I'm still trying to get a feel of my new work environment and consistent hours.  There wasn't a snowballs chance is hell I was watching the two late games that were out on the west coast this week.  By 9:00 both evenings I was pretty much in complete shutdown mode from exercise early in the morning and training at work.

#164 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I really hope we head east:

#165 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I really like the realignment to the East for us, but this "divisional playoffs" thing just sucks..

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#166 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I really like the realignment to the East for us, but this "divisional playoffs" thing just sucks..

I think that the divisional playoff is the best part.  The first 2 rounds, we will not have to leave our own time zone.  This is huge!

Do or do not. There is no try

#167 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Here's what I'd do if I had my way

Northeast
Toronto

Montreal

Ottawa

Boston

Buffalo

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Atlantic

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

New Jersey

Flordia

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Midwest

Chicago

Detroit

Winnipeg

St. Louis

Columbus

Minnesota

Nashville

Dallas

Pacific

Phoenix

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Colorado

Calgary

Edmonton

Vancouver

We also need to remember Phoenix may move to Quebec City so what happens then?  Do they flip Detroit back to West?  

Under my plan is IF and When Phoenix moves it will become a 15/15 confrence with Quebec City/Phoenix goign to the Northeast.

#168 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have to admit, if we do move East, I will miss our regular season games against Chicago.  Even the ones we've lost (like today) have been entertaining, close fought games.  They've been our best games to watch these last 3/4 seasons, shame that we've only had the 1 playoff series, and that when we were just coming down off our peak whilst they were just starting up the mountain.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#169 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Today's game is one of the reasons why I don't want this new plan, we'll only play Chicago twice. Then when they come to town you'll have to pay hundreds for a ticket.

Are people seriously excited to play the same 7 teams 6 times during the season, then two of them (if we win a couple rounds) in a best of 7? There's a potential to play one team 13 times. If you ask me, that's a huge over kill and it will get old fast! There's one thing about being retro, but to set up the league like it's 1968 is just plain dumb.

All it will do is help owners save money on travel, and allow them to charge more for tickets. No wonder why the owners suggested it. Fans will lose in the long run.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#170 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Are people seriously excited to play the same 7 teams 6 times during the season, then two of them (if we win a couple rounds) in a best of 7? There's a potential to play one team 13 times. If you ask me, that's a huge over kill and it will get old fast! There's one thing about being retro, but to set up the league like it's 1968 is just plain dumb.

That's no different than as scheduled last season. 2011/12, we played each team in the Central 6 times. Had we gone 7 games against Nashville, that reaches your potential 13 games. The only difference now is that we can stay in the same time zone guaranteed for the first 2 rounds, and significantly help our travel time.

Had we been in a more favorable travel situation, 07 (Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim) could have ended a bit differently for us...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#171 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

Had we been in a more favorable travel situation, 07 (Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim) could have ended a bit differently for us...

This is true. Plus it's no coincidence we won the next year, facing Nashville, Dallas, Colorado and Pittsburgh.

bringit.jpg

#172 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

christ that 07 playoff situation was gruelling as all hell. I totally forgot about that bulls***

#173 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Realignment appoved, Wings in the east....about time.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#174 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

NHLPA has agreed to realignment according to NHL Network.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#175 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

awesome.

i don't care about the uneven conferences. the fact that we don't have to stay up until 1am to watch games more than makes up for that. time to enjoy the cake walk travel schedule that the eastern teams have enjoyed for years.

one bad thing i see coming from this is an increase in ticket prices for all the original 6 games. good luck trying to get a home game against toronto at decent prices

Edited by chances14, 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#176 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

NHLPA gives consent to realignment. But will reseve right to re-evaluate after the '14-'15 season.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#177 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

eastwest_zps661d74b5.jpg

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#178 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

awesome.

i don't care about the uneven conferences. the fact that we don't have to stay up until 1am to watch games more than makes up for that. time to enjoy the cake walk travel schedule that the eastern teams have enjoyed for years.

one bad thing i see coming from this is an increase in ticket prices for all the original 6 games. good luck trying to get a home game against toronto at decent prices

I live in the west and I am still happy about this..less games in my time zone but less travel for the Wings.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#179 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

More original six games and less traveling, hell yeah!

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#180 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

YES

bringit.jpg