• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Stars Michael Ryder Available

Rate this topic

Well he's a sniper (right?) something the fanbase has wanted for a long time. 3.5m for two years ain't bad for a guy coming off a 35 goal season. Problem is the Stars are gonna ask for someone like Nyquist and a high pick and for a 32 year old on a middling team there isn't really a point. If we're trading for a Ryder we need to make more moves to justify it. Kenny seems intent to be a treadmill team while our aging stars slowly fade away. Either we go nuts and trade away the farm to win now, firesale our vets for prospects and picks, or be a 6-8 seed team never making past the 2nd round until Dats and Zett are finished hoping we strike gold with one of prospects. I prefer the first choice in all honesty. We have two of the most skilled two-way forwards in the league might as well use them while we can.

would be cool if we could blow them away with an offer for Loui Eriksson. Flip+Nyquist+picks?

Edited by Number19

Boston will come calling hard, I've heard. I'd imagine they would outbid Holland. We can't afford to start auctioning off prospects. There's a transition coming and we need as much talent coming up the pipe as possible.

Well he's a sniper (right?) something the fanbase has wanted for a long time. 3.5m for two years ain't bad for a guy coming off a 35 goal season. Problem is the Stars are gonna ask for someone like Nyquist and a high pick and for a 32 year old on a middling team there isn't really a point. If we're trading for a Ryder we need to make more moves to justify it. Kenny seems intent to be a treadmill team while our aging stars slowly fade away. Either we go nuts and trade away the farm to win now, firesale our vets for prospects and picks, or be a 6-8 seed team never making past the 2nd round until Dats and Zett are finished hoping we strike gold with one of prospects. I prefer the first choice in all honesty. We have two of the most skilled two-way forwards in the league might as well use them while we can.

would be cool if we could blow them away with an offer for Loui Eriksson. Flip+Nyquist+picks?

I agree. We would need more than just Ryder at the deadline. He's a good player, but not an elite goal-scorer.

The Stars would ask for either Zetterberg or Datsyuk AT LEAST if they would even consider moving Eriksson. He's part of that core. Pretty much untouchable.

Guest mjtm77

agree 100 percent but we should have done this when we still had Lidstrom. It is kinda too late now

as a last resort, ok. But he is 32 and a UFA after the year. So maybe a bag of pucks and some sticks for him.....

I don't think you understand the whole premise behind Ryder being traded... If the Red Wings aqcuired him, it would be as a playoff rental not a rebuilding piece. If Dallas is out of the playoff race at the deadline, they'll sell Ryder off to a playoff bound team. And you can bet that they will be offering way more than pucks and sticks...

No chance Dallas moves Eriksson unless its for a huge package. Detroit would have to offer Helm, Smith, Tatar and Nyquist just to get Dallas to consider moving him. Especially considering that they may lose Ryder, Roy, Jagr and Morrow as UFA's this summer.

as a last resort, ok. But he is 32 and a UFA after the year. So maybe a bag of pucks and some sticks for him.....

60 point guy that's the same age as Zett and younger than Dats is worth a bag of pucks and some sticks? No.. he's a scoring RW and we need that. Bring him in at the deadline, see how he plays down the stretch, and resign him if it works out. He proved he can produce regularly on a not-so great Dallas team, I think he would be a great fit here.

We don't need to get older. We need to get younger. yes Ryder has a nice rebound last year and is playing well to date. but for 2-3 years before that he was in the 18-22 goal per year range IIRC. he is also 32, not that big 6-0/195, and not overly tough. Why trade for him now? Is he the type of guy that is going to win us a cup? nope. Can he produce? yes. if you really want a aging sniper, just sign him this summer.

We don't need to get older. We need to get younger. yes Ryder has a nice rebound last year and is playing well to date. but for 2-3 years before that he was in the 18-22 goal per year range IIRC. he is also 32, not that big 6-0/195, and not overly tough. Why trade for him now? Is he the type of guy that is going to win us a cup? nope. Can he produce? yes. if you really want a aging sniper, just sign him this summer.

You still don't get it.

The reason Ryder's name is being thrown around in rumors is because he is UFA at years end. He's going to be valuable to teams that are playoff bound that want to add an extra piece to their offense. He will be a RENTAL PLAYER for the rest of the season and the playoffs, then he will become a UFA unless the team decides resign him.

If the Wings are in playoff position come deadline time and Dallas is not, Dallas will probably put Ryder on the market. If that's the case you can bet your boots Holland WILL inquire. He won't carry a team to the Stanley Cup, but adding a guy that has a Stanley Cup on his resume, potted 35 goals last season, and would be on pace to put up 27-28 in 82 games this season can only make the team better.

Now say it slow... P-L-A-Y-O-F-F R-E-N-T-A-L.

Is that not allowed in NHL13?

You still don't get it.

The reason Ryder's name is being thrown around in rumors is because he is UFA at years end. He's going to be valuable to teams that are playoff bound that want to add an extra piece to their offense. He will be a RENTAL PLAYER for the rest of the season and the playoffs, then he will become a UFA unless the team decides resign him.

If the Wings are in playoff position come deadline time and Dallas is not, Dallas will probably put Ryder on the market. If that's the case you can bet your boots Holland WILL inquire. He won't carry a team to the Stanley Cup, but adding a guy that has a Stanley Cup on his resume, potted 35 goals last season, and would be on pace to put up 27-28 in 82 games this season can only make the team better.

Now say it slow... P-L-A-Y-O-F-F R-E-N-T-A-L.

Is that not allowed in NHL13?

Not needed. can you understand that? we have others on the team that need to play more, not less. Also, as I mentioned-only if he is cheap. tatar for Ryder? nah nyquist for Ryder? nah Sheahan for Ryder? nah. Lashoff for Ryder? nah 1st round pick for Ryder? nah. Keep our youth and play them. Let them sink or swim and then adjust over the summer.

Not needed. can you understand that? we have others on the team that need to play more, not less. Also, as I mentioned-only if he is cheap. tatar for Ryder? nah nyquist for Ryder? nah Sheahan for Ryder? nah. Lashoff for Ryder? nah 1st round pick for Ryder? nah. Keep our youth and play them. Let them sink or swim and then adjust over the summer.

C'mon now. You said you've been a long time fan, you should know by now that Holland isn't going to overpay.... He's never traded away players of Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan or Lashoff's ilk in a deal for a rental player, and I doubt he would start now.

Sure he isn't "needed", but like I said, it wouldn't hurt adding an extra top 6 forward for the rest of the season if the Red Wings are poised to make the playoffs.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to Holland trading a 1st rounder for Ryder. Once again, if the Red Wings go after Ryder it's going to be because they expect to make the playoffs which would put their 1st round pick between #15-30. Ryder would make an immediate impact on the club. On the other hand, the first rounder probably won't make any sort of impact on the team for atleast 4-5 years. And there's also no guarantee that it will turn into an impact player, could end up being another Kindl or even McCollum. EVEN in a so called "deep" draft. Why does everyone seem to have such "dellusions" of gradeur about young players?

The ultimate goal of an NHL club is to win the cup, not breed young players. I would rather watch the Red Wings compete in the playoffs, than see the season go down the drain because "they wanted to let young players play".

Edited by DSM

C'mon now. You said you've been a long time fan, you should know by now that Holland isn't going to overpay.... He's never traded away players of Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan or Lashoff's ilk in a deal for a rental player, and I doubt he would start now.

Sure he isn't "needed", but like I said, it wouldn't hurt adding an extra top 6 forward for the rest of the season if the Red Wings are poised to make the playoffs.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to Holland trading a 1st rounder for Ryder. Once again, if the Red Wings go after Ryder it's going to be because they expect to make the playoffs which would put their 1st round pick between #15-30. Ryder would make an immediate impact on the club. On the other hand, the first rounder probably won't make any sort of impact on the team for atleast 4-5 years. And there's also no guarantee that it will turn into an impact player, could end up being another Kindl or even McCollum. EVEN in a so called "deep" draft. Why does everyone seem to have such "dellusions" of gradeur about young players?

The ultimate goal of an NHL club is to win the cup, not breed young players. I would rather watch the Red Wings compete in the playoffs, than see the season go down the drain because "they wanted to let young players play".

Totally agree. We've stayed in the playoffs for most of the season with half of our lineup missing. That's damn impressive, if you ask me. Not the time to fold it up. Delusions of grandeur about prospects happen because, frankly, some fanbases need them to survive. Look at the Isles. If Tavares didn't pan out, what would they have? The Alex Yashin days? Yikes. The Leafs, too. They haven't had a lot to talk positively about but prospects for a while. Some franchises need some prospects to be studs. Otherwise, they're in the crapper for a long, long time. They invest a lot of money and expectation in them.

Anyways, I say stay the course and add more talent and depth at the deadline. Lots of deals for guys who would definitely help the team available. Time for Holland to start making some.

Totally agree. We've stayed in the playoffs for most of the season with half of our lineup missing. That's damn impressive, if you ask me. Not the time to fold it up. Delusions of grandeur about prospects happen because, frankly, some fanbases need them to survive. Look at the Isles. If Tavares didn't pan out, what would they have? The Alex Yashin days? Yikes. The Leafs, too. They haven't had a lot to talk positively about but prospects for a while. Some franchises need some prospects to be studs. Otherwise, they're in the crapper for a long, long time. They invest a lot of money and expectation in them.

Anyways, I say stay the course and add more talent and depth at the deadline. Lots of deals for guys who would definitely help the team available. Time for Holland to start making some.

I'm betting most teams are going to wait till the end of March to start making moves. Technically, every team is still in the playoff race at this point and won't be willing to sell just yet.

I'm betting most teams are going to wait till the end of March to start making moves. Technically, every team is still in the playoff race at this point and won't be willing to sell just yet.

A lot of them will, but some teams are already on the path downward with valuable assets available. Might be well-served to do a pre-deadline deal for a good player on a struggling team for cheap.

A lot of them will, but some teams are already on the path downward with valuable assets available. Might be well-served to do a pre-deadline deal for a good player on a struggling team for cheap.

It's possible, although Dallas is sitting in the 8th spot currently and probably won't send Ryder packing if they stay there.

LA just sent Gagne to Philly for a pick. Probably just as a short term reclamation project though. Gagne had fallen way down LA's depth chart and has been a healthy scratch as of late. Philly needs scoring and can take a chance that Gagne may produce with the team that he potted two 40 goal seasons with. If he doesn't work out, he is a UFA at years end.

Good deal for Montreal. They dump the large salary of a slumping player and make an upgrade to their offense in the same deal.

Not sure what Dallas gets out of it. Cole has been struggling this season and has even said he is contemplating retirement after this season.

Looks like you were right. Or maybe I jinxed it...

Dallas probably knew they weren't going to keep Ryder, so they got something for him. Unfortunately, that something was an aging, struggling power-forward who's contemplating retirement. Not only that, but they sent away a draft pick while claiming to be in a youth movement. This deal just doesn't make sense for Dallas at all. They lost good offensive production for fading offensive production, all the while getting older and slower. Matter of fact, the James Neal trade didn't make sense, either. Nothing Nieuwendyk does seems to make sense these days. It doesn't even fall in the buyer or seller categories. If he were selling, he would've gotten a draft pick. If he were buying, he would've added a superior piece than what he lost. This is a head-scratcher for me.

I like the Gagne trade for Philly. They get back a fan-favorite and a great locker-room presence. L.A. sheds some salary for some deadline flexibility and gains a draft pick in a supposedly deep draft class. He'll contribute offensively and help the PP out. He was always a guy I wish we would've targeted. He's not what he once was, but I'd say he's still good for 15-20 goals and 40-50 points. Those are numbers we could certainly use, especially on the PP. Hopefully, these deals mean the market has shaken loose and we can have some new Red Wings to celebrate soon.