• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
beachwing

Gus Out Tonight

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings recall Thomas McCollum to back up Jimmy Howard tonight vs. Canucks. Scheduled starter Jonas Gustavsson re-aggravated tender groin

We are going to get smoked tonight. Back to back = no bueno.

O.M.G.

What the heck is happening? I guess this was a bust signing as well....

He's had some heart problems in the past from what I remember, but I don't know about his other health situations.

Seems like everyone Holland signed this offseason has some kind of recent health or injury problems.

starting to think we got a bunch of babies on the team. You are a professional athlete - this is what you do for a living - you'd think they would work hard in the long offseason to prevent these sorts of things from happening (you have one job - keep your body in good condition). Its like if a doctor had to take a day off work every week to study info that he forgot.

Guest Crymson

starting to think we got a bunch of babies on the team. You are a professional athlete - this is what you do for a living - you'd think they would work hard in the long offseason to prevent these sorts of things from happening (you have one job - keep your body in good condition). Its like if a doctor had to take a day off work every week to study info that he forgot.

Something tells me you've never played a professional sport.

You don't really think that, do you?

You don't really think that, do you?

exaggerating. but I think athletes do have a responsibility to be in peak physical form to prevent the same injuries from happening persistently. being a med student I know that I have to be prepared for anything because thats my future job. whatever. I'm just really disappointed.

exaggerating. but I think athletes do have a responsibility to be in peak physical form to prevent the same injuries from happening persistently. being a med student I know that I have to be prepared for anything because thats my future job. whatever. I'm just really disappointed.

As a med student you should understand that injuries aren't 100% preventable, especially playing a sport like hockey. Groin injuries linger for a long time, usually if it happens during a season you are going to be battling through it the rest of the way, it takes a unreliable time table to get rid of a groin injury could go away in a week, it could stay sore for months and require surgery. Some days are better than others, some days you can feel 100%, and other days you can't get up from a chair without holding your breath.

Groin injuries aren't just battle though the pain injuries, they severely limit your mobility and reaction time, which as a goalie is absolutely paramount. To suggest that Gustavasson should just play through it is just completely naive and quite impractical.

Yeah, we all are. It's just one of those years. You really have to shake your head sometimes.

When Gus first got hurt, Ken and Micky were talking on air that Gus admits this is something he deals with all the time. Why would you sign a G of all positions with groin issues? Add in a NTC........ Yikes......

Guest The Axe

When Gus first got hurt, Ken and Micky were talking on air that Gus admits this is something he deals with all the time. Why would you sign a G of all positions with groin issues? Add in a NTC........ Yikes......

Ken Holland

High upside player, in his 20s, playing for pennies with starter experience signed to be a backup. While we have a pretty mean AHL goalie in Mrazek.

Yeah, what a huge gamble. Damn that Ken Holland for not obeying LGW's orders.

Not that it really matters much now, and I know he wanted to be traded, but they still had another NHL capable goalie under contract as well.

Joey MacDonald

Sorry, I thought you said an NHL capable goalie, that also wanted to be traded. Didn't realize you meant the guy that could barely beat out conks for a backup spot last year...

edit: he's also injured just as much as gus

Edited by Euro_Twins