• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
beachwing

Gus Out Tonight

Rate this topic

Sorry, I thought you said an NHL capable goalie, that also wanted to be traded. Didn't realize you meant the guy that could barely beat out conks for a backup spot last year...

edit: he's also injured just as much as gus

Barely beat out Conklin? Conklin couldn't stop a car using the brake pedal last season. Joey was outstanding and he CLEARLY beat out Conklin. Don't know what team you were paying attention to last season... Calgary better fire Jay Feaster soon, he claimed that awful goalie on waivers to be the starter while Kiprusoff is hurt...

^To be fair Feaster is a bit of an idiot. That said Mac is a very good goalie. But he wanted to be in the NHL permanently, was hurt a lot, and we found a similar guy with a higher upside for very little money. Contrary to our silly belief that one team has to suffer in a scenario like this, neither are right now. CGY got themselves a fine goalie, and we got a great backup and also have an insane AHL goalie who can come up anytime.

^To be fair Feaster is a bit of an idiot. That said Mac is a very good goalie. But he wanted to be in the NHL permanently, was hurt a lot, and we found a similar guy with a higher upside for very little money. Contrary to our silly belief that one team has to suffer in a scenario like this, neither are right now. CGY got themselves a fine goalie, and we got a great backup and also have an insane AHL goalie who can come up anytime.

I can agree on Feaster, but I still think JMac is a solid NHL goalie and I'm glad he's getting another shot in the NHL. I watched the CGY/MIN game on Saturday and he still looked pretty good.

Barely beat out Conklin? Conklin couldn't stop a car using the brake pedal last season. Joey was outstanding and he CLEARLY beat out Conklin. Don't know what team you were paying attention to last season... Calgary better fire Jay Feaster soon, he claimed that awful goalie on waivers to be the starter while Kiprusoff is hurt...

they had mac signed and picked up conks to back up jimmy, the only reason he had a chance to beat out conks was because jimmy got injured. After jimmy came back mac settled down and didn't play that well. Conks was garbage and couldn't stop a beach ball last year, but you have illusions of grandeur about how good mac really is, he is a decent back up, but not very consistent, which is why we didn't hang on to him

they had mac signed and picked up conks to back up jimmy, the only reason he had a chance to beat out conks was because jimmy got injured. After jimmy came back mac settled down and didn't play that well. Conks was garbage and couldn't stop a beach ball last year, but you have illusions of grandeur about how good mac really is, he is a decent back up, but not very consistent, which is why we didn't hang on to him

Illusions of grandeur? Nowhere did I state that he should be a Vezina finalist... I merely pointed that he is a serviceable NHL goalie. Numbers don't lie either, his GAA and Save% from the past couple of seasons were better than a lot of other backup goalies. They had planned to hang on to him, but I don't think they anticipated getting an upgrade for such a low price, which made him expendable. I certainly didn't lose sleep over it...

Illusions of grandeur? Nowhere did I state that he should be a Vezina finalist... I merely pointed that he is a serviceable NHL goalie. Numbers don't lie either, his GAA and Save% from the past couple of seasons were better than a lot of other backup goalies. They had planned to hang on to him, but I don't think they anticipated getting an upgrade for such a low price, which made him expendable. I certainly didn't lose sleep over it...

Maybe I was a tad over zealous but you have to admit Mac has been very inconsistent as a backup for us, I wish him the best in Calgary, I like the guy and wish that he hadn't started slipping when Jimmy came back, but in reality with a short season they couldn't afford to risk the inconsistency of his play in big games, too bad Gustavsson can't stay healthy.

With all of these injuries I am starting to wonder if they aren't being properly conditioned? You know when you aren't conditioning the best especially in a sport like hockey it does lead to injuries.

In all fairness, most of the people who are injured have had a history of injuries before even coming here, Sammy, Gustavsson, Bert (has had back issues since before he came to detroit), and the most obvious one, Colaiacovo. Smith's injury was not because of bad conditioning, and Helm hasn't fully recovered from last year, hell even Sammy's injury the second time wasn't anyones fault, broken fingers are not bad conditioning just bad luck