• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

2013 Free Agency Thread

Rate this topic

7-8 mil sounds fair. I would agree even though 6-7 somehow sounds better probably a pipedream though.

That sounds about right. If Getzlaf and/or Perry hit the open market, they will be the only real top line forwards available. Elias is scheduled to be a UFA as well, but I doubt he will go anywhere other than back to New Jersey. That being said, I can see Perry and/or Getzlaf getting offers upwards of $8mil a season.

Edited by DSM

Brunner currently has more points and goals than Perry and would cost way less to re-sign than to bring in Perry. Not saying I wouldn't like him here, but realistically I think Holland will re-sign Brunner, Flip and Howard and look for help on D if anyone is available. Lots of veteran D-men available this summer (if they don't sign new contracts before then...) who would be an upgrade over Cola and Huskins.

Edited by Wings_Toledo

Brunner currently has more points and goals than Perry and would cost way less to re-sign than to bring in Perry. Not saying I wouldn't like him here, but realistically I think Holland will re-sign Brunner, Flip and Howard and look for help on D if anyone is available. Lots of veteran D-men available this summer (if they don't sign new contracts before then...) who would be an upgrade over Cola and Huskins.

I don't think they'll be looking to upgrade over Colaiacovo and Huskins. Colaiacovo is still under contract for next season and with everyone healthy Huskins is their #7 guy, which will probably be Lashoffs spot next season. If they bring in a UFA dman, it'll be because they let White walk.

Definitely the emergance of Brunner and Tatar has relieved the pressure of scoring a little bit. I do think the priority is a TOP defender. Either way, we have too many forwards and need to trim some fat. Whether they make a deal at the deadline or just stand pat and cut ties come FA day, there needs to be some players trimmed in order to get these kids in here.

I am all for making a deal to get that top defender from someone. Most likely from a team with no playoff chance and right now it's hard to gauge those teams...I wouldn't mind getting a hold of Winnipeg and find out the availability of Bogosian or Byfuglien or Tyler Myers out of Buffalo.

We will never predict what Holland will do, only wish. If Holland signed Dekeyser before the playoffs and got rid of Quincey and Kindl over the summer, I would be very happy. If i had to keep one of those guys, it would be Kindl due to salary.

Rumors and speculation...don't know how legit:

"12. What a weekend for Detroit,
where the Red Wings totaled Nashville and Vancouver to the tune of 12-3.
A couple of opponents are eying UFA-to-be Valtteri Filppula, but Ken
Holland says they should be prepared to wait. "I'm still trying to find
out what we are," the GM said this weekend. "Look at our record in
one-goal games (.333 winning percentage, 26th in the NHL.) When we get
healthy, will we turn those losses into wins?"

13. For that
reason, Holland says he'll wait until very close to the trade deadline
to make any decisions on the team's direction. That includes Filppula,
one of several important choices the Red Wings will have to make. With
few scoring centres available in free agency, Filppula has some leverage
to ask for a lot. All Holland would say: "There is a gap in
negotiations." The one thing I'm always told about these things is that
it's a process. But if Filppula wants to stay, he's going to have to
find a number the Red Wings are comfortable with."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-nhl-realignment-still-needs-work.html

I don't think they'll be looking to upgrade over Colaiacovo and Huskins. Colaiacovo is still under contract for next season and with everyone healthy Huskins is their #7 guy, which will probably be Lashoffs spot next season. If they bring in a UFA dman, it'll be because they let White walk.

Agreed.....I think Ian White has had his run in Detroit. There just isn't enough spots anymore. I do like the right handed shot, but in the end, you have to open spots up for the kids eventually. I think Cola should be the #7 rotating with Lashoff. I am holding out hope on Dekeyser to be here and then a Trade Deadline -or- UFA acquistion...

Kronwall - UFA/Trade

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

Definitely the emergance of Brunner and Tatar has relieved the pressure of scoring a little bit. I do think the priority is a TOP defender. Either way, we have too many forwards and need to trim some fat. Whether they make a deal at the deadline or just stand pat and cut ties come FA day, there needs to be some players trimmed in order to get these kids in here.

I am all for making a deal to get that top defender from someone. Most likely from a team with no playoff chance and right now it's hard to gauge those teams...I wouldn't mind getting a hold of Winnipeg and find out the availability of Bogosian or Byfuglien or Tyler Myers out of Buffalo.

We will never predict what Holland will do, only wish. If Holland signed Dekeyser before the playoffs and got rid of Quincey and Kindl over the summer, I would be very happy. If i had to keep one of those guys, it would be Kindl due to salary.

Bogosian and Byfuglien would cost the Wings significantly. Helm and Smith would have to be offered just for Winnipeg to consider moving one of them. Myers would be a risk at the moment. He's struggling in Buffalo this season, and has a $5.5mil cap hit till 18/19.

Rumors and speculation...don't know how legit:

"12. What a weekend for Detroit,

where the Red Wings totaled Nashville and Vancouver to the tune of 12-3.

A couple of opponents are eying UFA-to-be Valtteri Filppula, but Ken

Holland says they should be prepared to wait. "I'm still trying to find

out what we are," the GM said this weekend. "Look at our record in

one-goal games (.333 winning percentage, 26th in the NHL.) When we get

healthy, will we turn those losses into wins?"

13. For that

reason, Holland says he'll wait until very close to the trade deadline

to make any decisions on the team's direction. That includes Filppula,

one of several important choices the Red Wings will have to make. With

few scoring centres available in free agency, Filppula has some leverage

to ask for a lot. All Holland would say: "There is a gap in

negotiations." The one thing I'm always told about these things is that

it's a process. But if Filppula wants to stay, he's going to have to

find a number the Red Wings are comfortable with."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-nhl-realignment-still-needs-work.html

All encouraging news!

1. Because it's nice that teams have expressed interest in Filppula. 2. Filppula went to arbitration as an RFA before to get what he felt he was worth, it's not surprising that there is a "gap" between them. With Hudler getting what, $4.5M? I can see Filppula getting $5M somewhere. To me, that is just too much here. We already have 4 centers, 5 if you count Andersson and even though Fil's defense is nice, his presence on the wing can be replaced easily.

I can hold out hope that Anaheim is indeed one of those team interested in Fil and could only dream that either Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry would be part of a package trade between the two....probably not, but I can hold out hope. Hell, maybe Fil will be shoppedf or that top defender.

I still stand by my statement that Fil, Franzine, Nyquist, Kindl & Quincey should all be considered as trade bait....whether or not we get a top defender in return is unknown...

Edited by LeftWinger

Agreed.....I think Ian White has had his run in Detroit. There just isn't enough spots anymore. I do like the right handed shot, but in the end, you have to open spots up for the kids eventually. I think Cola should be the #7 rotating with Lashoff. I am holding out hope on Dekeyser to be here and then a Trade Deadline -or- UFA acquistion...

Kronwall - UFA/Trade

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

What happened to Quincey and Kindl? Are they going to retire?

All encouraging news!

1. Because it's nice that teams have expressed interest in Filppula. 2. Filppula went to arbitration as an RFA before to get what he felt he was worth, it's not surprising that there is a "gap" between them. With Hudler getting what, $4.5M? I can see Filppula getting $5M somewhere. To me, that is just too much here. We already have 4 centers, 5 if you count Andersson and even though Fil's defense is nice, his presence on the wing can be replaced easily.

I can hold out hope that Anaheim is indeed one of those team interested in Fil and could only dream that either Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry would be part of a package trade between the two....probably not, but I can hold out hope. Hell, maybe Fil will be shoppedf or that top defender.

I still stand by my statement that Fil, Franzine, Nyquist, Kindl & Quincey should all be considered as trade bait....whether or not we get a top defender in return is unknown...

If Bob Murray traded Ryan or Perry and Filppula was coming back in the deal, he would get fired immediately.

And, no combination of the players you listed is going to bring a top defender.

Edited by DSM

All encouraging news!

I was always of the opinion that I would like to see the Wings hang on to Flip, but with the way some of the GR kids have been playing I think I'm starting to realize that Flip is replaceable. If he can net us something decent in a package with some picks/prospects, then I hope Kenny pulls the trigger on a trade rather than let him walk away for nothing come UFA time, especially if they truly are that far apart on the contract.

All encouraging news!

The problem is, it will be a contender looking to add Flip in hopes of putting themselves over-the-top.

I can't see anyone looking to go on a deep run parting with anything that's not draft picks or prospects.

Why would Anaheim try and strengthen their team with Filpulla and then trade away Perry? Same with any high-end D-Man. Makes no sense.

I was always of the opinion that I would like to see the Wings hang on to Flip, but with the way some of the GR kids have been playing I think I'm starting to realize that Flip is replaceable. If he can net us something decent in a package with some picks/prospects, then I hope Kenny pulls the trigger on a trade rather than let him walk away for nothing come UFA time, especially if they truly are that far apart on the contract.

I can only see two possibilities with Filppula, and they both depend on where the Red Wings are at come trade deadline time:

1. IF the Red Wings are in playoff position or are still in the race for a spot, they will keep him. Even if they are no closer in negotiations. They could try to move him, but no team is going to offer anything that would help the Red Wings down the stretch and into the playoffs in exchange because he is a UFA. He also has virtually ZERO value as part of a package deal either, because of his UFA status.

or

2. IF the Red Wings are well out of the playoff race, Holland will get offers from playoff bound teams to add Filppula as a rental piece. And no, top tier players or top tier prospects won't be coming back in exchange. Expect good draft picks and mediocre prospects to come back in some sort of package.

Other than the obvious guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Backstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson....half of which may re-sign or retire, there's a decent amount of good complimentary players. Such as:

Brendan Morrow, Mark Streit, Nathan Horton (one of my top choices), Rob Scuderi (really solid Dman), Douglas Murray, David Clarkson (i'm bigtime on this bandwagon), Ladislav Smid, Joe Corvo, Ryan Jones, Tyler Bozak, Blake Comeau, Brad Boyes, Viktor Stalberg.

If even a handful of those guys are available, there's no reason at all to re-sign Cleary, Miller, and whoever fits that mold.

Guys I really don't want to see are:

Alexander Semin, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Riberio, Ron Hainsey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Nik Antropov, Ryane Clowe, Matt Cullen, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ian White, Danny Cleary, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Francis Bouillon, Alexi Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre and that's as far down the list as i'm going.

I just hope Kenny lets some people walk and makes himself a list of guys he'd like to play here and sign only a few tops and for 2 years max unless obviously it's a Getzlaf/Perry type.

I can only see two possibilities with Filppula, and they both depend on where the Red Wings are at come trade deadline time:

1. IF the Red Wings are in playoff position or are still in the race for a spot, they will keep him. Even if they are no closer in negotiations. They could try to move him, but no team is going to offer anything that would help the Red Wings down the stretch and into the playoffs in exchange because he is a UFA. He also has virtually ZERO value as part of a package deal either, because of his UFA status.

or

2. IF the Red Wings are well out of the playoff race, Holland will get offers from playoff bound teams to add Filppula as a rental piece. And no, top tier players or top tier prospects won't be coming back in exchange. Expect good draft picks and mediocre prospects to come back in some sort of package.

Hell, with the deep draft this year, I will take a low 1st from a top team for Filppulla...or maybe a 2nd & 3rd. I am all for focusing on a top defender we need over a scorer. I think our scoring will be fine once the D is taken care of.

Other than the obvious guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Backstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson....half of which may re-sign or retire, there's a decent amount of good complimentary players. Such as: Brendan Morrow, Mark Streit, Nathan Horton (one of my top choices), Rob Scuderi (really solid Dman), Douglas Murray, David Clarkson (i'm bigtime on this bandwagon), Ladislav Smid, Joe Corvo, Ryan Jones, Tyler Bozak, Blake Comeau, Brad Boyes, Viktor Stalberg. If even a handful of those guys are available, there's no reason at all to re-sign Cleary, Miller, and whoever fits that mold. Guys I really don't want to see are: Alexander Semin, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Riberio, Ron Hainsey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Nik Antropov, Ryane Clowe, Matt Cullen, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ian White, Danny Cleary, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Francis Bouillon, Alexi Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre and that's as far down the list as i'm going. I just hope Kenny lets some people walk and makes himself a list of guys he'd like to play here and sign only a few tops and for 2 years max unless obviously it's a Getzlaf/Perry type.

There's a definitely a good list of secondary type guys out there, but I only wonder how overpriced they will be? I think Holland will let Cleary and Miller walk and fill their spots with Tatar and Andersson. I think if he re-signs Filppula for the right price, he'll stand pat on offense.

I think on D is where he'll spend some money. He can let White walk, and fill his spot with an upgrade. I kind of would like him to go after a bigger more physical defender. The team has enough "puck movers" on the back end, they need more of a physical presence back there. I hope they make a play for Regehr.

Hell, with the deep draft this year, I will take a low 1st from a top team for Filppulla...or maybe a 2nd & 3rd. I am all for focusing on a top defender we need over a scorer. I think our scoring will be fine once the D is taken care of.

If he does get moved, that will probably be the most realistic return. Maybe a 1st and a decent blueline prospect.

If we can grab another top tier Forward whole retaining Flip and grab a number one D or Dekseyer (spelling?) kid, I think we will be in good shape.

I'll bet if the Wings are in playoff position at the deadline, Holland will add a 2nd/3rd line forward and a 2nd/3rd pairing dman as playoff rentals.

Edited by DSM

Other than the obvious guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Backstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson....half of which may re-sign or retire, there's a decent amount of good complimentary players. Such as: Brendan Morrow, Mark Streit, Nathan Horton (one of my top choices), Rob Scuderi (really solid Dman), Douglas Murray, David Clarkson (i'm bigtime on this bandwagon), Ladislav Smid, Joe Corvo, Ryan Jones, Tyler Bozak, Blake Comeau, Brad Boyes, Viktor Stalberg. If even a handful of those guys are available, there's no reason at all to re-sign Cleary, Miller, and whoever fits that mold. Guys I really don't want to see are: Alexander Semin, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Riberio, Ron Hainsey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Nik Antropov, Ryane Clowe, Matt Cullen, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ian White, Danny Cleary, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Francis Bouillon, Alexi Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre and that's as far down the list as i'm going. I just hope Kenny lets some people walk and makes himself a list of guys he'd like to play here and sign only a few tops and for 2 years max unless obviously it's a Getzlaf/Perry type.

Ok, if I am letting the kids come up and stay (Tatar, Andersson, Sheahan) and with the emergance of Brunner, I am focusing on the D and making our bottom 6 even better. If a trade is not made for players, but only draft picks (which is fine) of your list, I am going for Murray or Scuderi and Brendan Morrow in the UFA pool.

I am trading one of Franzine or Filppula at the deadline for whatever I can get. I am also getting rid of Kindl and Quincey for the same. I am too happy with Lashoff and Huskins and am almost positive Dekeyser will be a Red Wing before the playoffs. Cola is here for another year as your 6/7 rotate guy. Add to that D Corps, Scuderi or Murray (I like the other names you named too) and this D is looking pretty good as long as Kronwall continues his climb as a legit top guy. Add Morrow to Helm's line with Tootoo and keep add Sheahan to Andersson and Abby and we are looking pretty good. I suppose if Holland buys out Bert and Sammy, then allow Miller and Cleay to move on, we could keep both Fil and Franz, but that bumps out Nyquist again...maybe Nyquist can get us a very good draft pick...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Filppula

Fraznen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Morrow - Helm - Tootoo

Sheahan - Andersson - Abby

Eaves

...on paper I like that and it also keeps the wishful thinking of Perry or Ryan out of the story... I think seriously we can have Morrow pretty easily.

On the D, again, Kindl and Quincey are gone for picks and Dekeyser is in. Ian White is gone and I am siginging a top UFA....

Kronwall - Murray (or Scuderi)

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

Edited by LeftWinger

Ok, if I am letting the kids come up and stay (Tatar, Andersson, Sheahan) and with the emergance of Brunner, I am focusing on the D and making our bottom 6 even better. If a trade is not made for players, but only draft picks (which is fine) of your list, I am going for Murray or Scuderi and Brendan Morrow in the UFA pool.

I am trading one of Franzine or Filppula at the deadline for whatever I can get. I am also getting rid of Kindl and Quincey for the same. I am too happy with Lashoff and Huskins and am almost positive Dekeyser will be a Red Wing before the playoffs. Cola is here for another year as your 6/7 rotate guy. Add to that D Corps, Scuderi or Murray (I like the other names you named too) and this D is looking pretty good as long as Kronwall continues his climb as a legit top guy. Add Morrow to Helm's line with Tootoo and keep add Sheahan to Andersson and Abby and we are looking pretty good. I suppose if Holland buys out Bert and Sammy, then allow Miller and Cleay to move on, we could keep both Fil and Franz, but that bumps out Nyquist again...maybe Nyquist can get us a very good draft pick...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Filppula

Fraznen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Morrow - Helm - Tootoo

Sheahan - Andersson - Abby

Eaves

...on paper I like that and it also keeps the wishful thinking of Perry or Ryan out of the story... I think seriously we can have Morrow pretty easily.

On the D, again, Kindl and Quincey are gone for picks and Dekeyser is in. Ian White is gone and I am siginging a top UFA....

Kronwall - Murray (or Scuderi)

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

If the Red Wings are going to keep Sheahan on the team, it would have to be for more than a 4th line role. The kid can still go to GR for 2 more seasons and round out his offensive game playing 20 minutes a night, rather than playing 10 on the Wings 4th line. And where did Emmerton go?

If the Red Wings are going to keep Sheahan on the team, it would have to be for more than a 4th line role. The kid can still go to GR for 2 more seasons and round out his offensive game playing 20 minutes a night, rather than playing 10 on the Wings 4th line. And where did Emmerton go?

Damn! I always forget someone! But that just goes to show, we have way too many forwards with the kids ready to go. Big decisions are to be made soon! I know Sheahan and Tatar still have options, but I think Tatar has earned a spot...I guess we could all wait one more season when there is even more room for the kids, but next season Holland has to do something to convince Datsyuk to re-sign and not go home. That is not keep the old guys here and let the kids fester in GR. If Dats is going to stay here, it will be to win, not to just barely make the playoffs, if at all. Right now Dats has to be encouraged by the play of the kids and probably relishes the role of teacher, but he cannot teach old men like Sammy and Bertuzzi and Cleary. I think they all need to go and the kids need to be here...whatever happens, we need to keep Dats around for a few more years somehow....This team will not survive his departure with the team he will leave behind...

Perry is #1 on.my list. He fills a big hole.

What hole? Are you saying you want to sign Perry to play defense??

We need to focus on resigning who we have. Brunner and Fil who are both going to demand more money to stay. With those guys we have a top 6 as good as any. We also have enough depth and young guys who look promising for the bottom 6. We need defense.

This team isn't likely to get much better, from here out we are only going to have to pay guys more. Our top 2 forwards are getting old as well. Who knows if Dats will even be around here after his contract. The only sure way to get better in this league now days is to get worse first and draft high. That's right around the corner for us unfortunately. If we make the right small moves we can likely stay a playoff contender for a couple more years. You just can't trade old guys for young superstars. You can't afford to bid on big free agents anymore either. Its the reality of this league today. Our core is what it is and like I already said all we can do is put the right small pieces together and keep ourselves in the playoffs. The first year we miss the playoffs you can be sure we start rebuilding and those big changes you all talk about will come.

What hole? Are you saying you want to sign Perry to play defense??

We need to focus on resigning who we have. Brunner and Fil who are both going to demand more money to stay. With those guys we have a top 6 as good as any. We also have enough depth and young guys who look promising for the bottom 6. We need defense.

This team isn't likely to get much better, from here out we are only going to have to pay guys more. Our top 2 forwards are getting old as well. Who knows if Dats will even be around here after his contract. The only sure way to get better in this league now days is to get worse first and draft high. That's right around the corner for us unfortunately. If we make the right small moves we can likely stay a playoff contender for a couple more years. You just can't trade old guys for young superstars. You can't afford to bid on big free agents anymore either. Its the reality of this league today. Our core is what it is and like I already said all we can do is put the right small pieces together and keep ourselves in the playoffs. The first year we miss the playoffs you can be sure we start rebuilding and those big changes you all talk about will come.

This is why I say (even though I still wish for Perry or Ryan) just trade for picks and go after that D in the summer and draft for the future. The kids are ready, we may even see Jarnkrok next season so room will have to be made. 2 Buyouts, let Cleary walk, let go on White and Kindl. If someone does want Filppula, I would take a #25-ish overall for him...same goes for Franzine, a top 20 draft pick would suffice. With a couple of first rounders Holland could draft (if available) Ryan Pulock and Robert Haag and be well on his way to a great Defense in 4-5 years...

This is why I say (even though I still wish for Perry or Ryan) just trade for picks and go after that D in the summer and draft for the future. The kids are ready, we may even see Jarnkrok next season so room will have to be made. 2 Buyouts, let Cleary walk, let go on White and Kindl. If someone does want Filppula, I would take a #25-ish overall for him...same goes for Franzine, a top 20 draft pick would suffice. With a couple of first rounders Holland could draft (if available) Ryan Pulock and Robert Haag and be well on his way to a great Defense in 4-5 years...

I wouldn't spend the teams immediate future on the draft. The draft is a gamble, there's no guarantee that guys that go in the first round are going to be big name players. Ever heard of Alexandre Daigle or Patrik Stefan? I know you've heard of Thomas McCollum...

My bad. Forgot about that 2-year deal for Cola. In my opinion, they should let White walk. He's never really been that impressive with the Wings.

As for everyone penciling in Dekeyser on defense, did I miss where Holland said that he would get a guaranteed spot, or something? I would imagine he'd at least spend one season in GR.

I want Regehr, Scuderi, Murray, Smid or Hainsey. I think Hainsey would be a very good fit for us, he's never really played on a good team, yet he's produced at a modest pace and he is reliable defensively and plays a ton of PK.

We'll need a center if we lose Filpulla, I'd love to get Weiss here, obviously Getzlaf would be a dream, but I think getting Weiss could have a better chance of happening. Franzen-Weiss-Tatar to go along with Brunner-Dats-Zetterberg would be a pretty good top 6 next season. Maybe Andy McDonald? He's always been an underrated player.

For Wingers I'd maybe be interested in Horton, Morrow, Penner, Clowe, or Clarkson. Need some big guys to create some space. Dare I say Jagr? I know he'd be 42, but the guy is still producing 50-60 points. He could really slow down the game for us on the powerplay on the second unit.

Lots of options, but we have to get Brunner, and Howard back for sure. I'd like Filpulla back, he's a player that can play lots of different positions and be a part of a winning team. He does the little things well, and is a outstanding skater.