• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

2013 Free Agency Thread

Rate this topic

My bad. Forgot about that 2-year deal for Cola. In my opinion, they should let White walk. He's never really been that impressive with the Wings.

As for everyone penciling in Dekeyser on defense, did I miss where Holland said that he would get a guaranteed spot, or something? I would imagine he'd at least spend one season in GR.

White being a UFA is really the only opening they will have on D. 4 of their (healthy) top 6 are all under contract for next season (Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey and Colaiacovo), Smith is an RFA that will obviously be returning, Lashoff just signed an extension that is probably a one-way deal and Kindl is an RFA that has a clouded future. I doubt the Red Wings want to carry 8 dmen next season when they have so many forwards, so White leaving is the only opening they have to make an upgrade.

I've been avoiding the whole Dekeyser thing. For one thing, if he is of the same calibre as Justin Shultz, he'll probably sign with a team that will be eager to give him a big role right off the bat. The Red Wings won't want to do that.

My bad. Forgot about that 2-year deal for Cola. In my opinion, they should let White walk. He's never really been that impressive with the Wings.

As for everyone penciling in Dekeyser on defense, did I miss where Holland said that he would get a guaranteed spot, or something? I would imagine he'd at least spend one season in GR.

That is just it with Dekeyser, he has had interest from Toronto, Tampa and Detroit to name a few...this will be much like the Justin Schultz deal. I am sure Danny would rather go somewhere he is going to step in to the NHL, not the AHL. That is ok though, if Kindl is dealt or waived and Ian White leaves as a UFA, then there is room for Dekeyser. Even with Quincey hanging around, you just have to let Huskins go...

Kronwall - UFA

Smith - Ericsson

Quincey - Dekeyser/Lashoff

...of course all of this opens up if Quincey gets packaged... I know Danny prefers Detroit over any other team but of course he would rather go somewhere he is going to play NHL minutes...

edit: If for some reason, Holland likes his team going forward and only adds Dekeyser then there is plenty of room!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl

Edited by LeftWinger

That is just it with Dekeyser, he has had interest from Toronto, Tampa and Detroit to name a few...this will be much like the Justin Schultz deal. I am sure Danny would rather go somewhere he is going to step in to the NHL, not the AHL. That is ok though, if Kindl is dealt or waived and Ian White leaves as a UFA, then there is room for Dekeyser. Even with Quincey hanging around, you just have to let Huskins go...

Kronwall - UFA

Smith - Ericsson

Quincey - Dekeyser/Lashoff

...of course all of this opens up if Quincey gets packaged... I know Danny prefers Detroit over any other team but of course he would rather go somewhere he is going to play NHL minutes...

edit: If for some reason, Holland likes his team going forward and only adds Dekeyser then there is plenty of room!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl

I think if Kindl and White are both gone, the Red Wings will look for a good shut down type dman this summer and roll with something like this

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincey-Smith

UFA-Colaiacovo/Lashoff

I've been avoiding the whole Dekeyser thing. For one thing, if he is of the same calibre as Justin Shultz, he'll probably sign with a team that will be eager to give him a big role right off the bat. The Red Wings won't want to do that.

The Wings have a really good shot at landing Dekeyser. From MI, played with Jim Nill's son, and grew up a Wings fan As long as the Wings don't lowball him horribly, they lead the pack for this kid.

We shall see!

Dekeyser will be signed. he was going to come out this year, had all 30 teams interested, the RW's said go back to college for one more year, and he followed their advise. Funny thing, didn't schutz play 30-40 games in the AHL this year? LOl on that sure thing in the NHL..... When we do sign him, he needs some time in GR. Going pro is a big step.

That being said, that is all i would do ref D in FA. We have a bunch of good young big Dmen. It is the forward group that needs to be rebuilt.

Dekeyser will be signed. he was going to come out this year, had all 30 teams interested, the RW's said go back to college for one more year, and he followed their advise. Funny thing, didn't schutz play 30-40 games in the AHL this year? LOl on that sure thing in the NHL..... When we do sign him, he needs some time in GR. Going pro is a big step.

That being said, that is all i would do ref D in FA. We have a bunch of good young big Dmen. It is the forward group that needs to be rebuilt.

SCHULTZ WAS IN THE AHL BECAUSE OF THE LOCKOUT!

YOUR DUMB POSTS INFURIATE ME!!!!

Edited by DSM

Easy now DSM....I agree with you, but I disagree with him also on Dekeyser playing in GR. If he signs with Detroit it will be for the NHL. There is nothing saying that if he struggles he cannot go to the AHL for more experience, I do believe that he has so many years of waiver free movement after his first pro contract signing...

He can sign here. be placed in the big club for the remainder of the season and playoffs (if we get there) and then he will have a spot a the club next season unless he struggles. If we are keeping Quincey then Dekeyser still had a spot with Cola being #7 along with Huskins. Then in the off season, a decision on Huskins has to be made, but I think Holland would stick with the younger guys...

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

...of course I still prefer to trade Quincey for a pick and get a UFA top defender over the summer. But if Holland gets Dekeyser then I can get a little excited about the D even if Quincey stays. I like what that looks like on paper, as long as Quincey picks it up. I's still rather have Murray, but if we are going with our kids and letting them grow together, lets do it 100% full throttle!

Easy now DSM....I agree with you, but I disagree with him also on Dekeyser playing in GR. If he signs with Detroit it will be for the NHL. There is nothing saying that if he struggles he cannot go to the AHL for more experience, I do believe that he has so many years of waiver free movement after his first pro contract signing...

He can sign here. be placed in the big club for the remainder of the season and playoffs (if we get there) and then he will have a spot a the club next season unless he struggles. If we are keeping Quincey then Dekeyser still had a spot with Cola being #7 along with Huskins. Then in the off season, a decision on Huskins has to be made, but I think Holland would stick with the younger guys...

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

...of course I still prefer to trade Quincey for a pick and get a UFA top defender over the summer. But if Holland gets Dekeyser then I can get a little excited about the D even if Quincey stays. I like what that looks like on paper, as long as Quincey picks it up. I's still rather have Murray, but if we are going with our kids and letting them grow together, lets do it 100% full throttle!

I just can't see the Red Wings putting that kind of faith into signing the kid. The only opening they'll have on the blueline is Whites spot. If this Dekeyser guy doesn't pan out, the Wings are back to square one, just without White. I'm sure the Wings would love to have him, I just doubt they would guarantee him a spot on the main roster like some other teams might.

I just can't see the Red Wings putting that kind of faith into signing the kid. The only opening they'll have on the blueline is Whites spot. If this Dekeyser guy doesn't pan out, the Wings are back to square one, just without White. I'm sure the Wings would love to have him, I just doubt they would guarantee him a spot on the main roster like some other teams might.

Actually, Lashoff already has White's spot. Kindl would need to go to create a spot for someone new, unless we plan on carrying 8 D. I wouldn't be surprised if Kindl does go, just pointing out that we already have 7 D either signed or RFA.

Of course, Cola's spot will likely open up sometime in the pre-season...

Guest The Axe

Brunner currently has more points and goals than Perry and would cost way less to re-sign than to bring in Perry. Not saying I wouldn't like him here, but realistically I think Holland will re-sign Brunner, Flip and Howard and look for help on D if anyone is available. Lots of veteran D-men available this summer (if they don't sign new contracts before then...) who would be an upgrade over Cola and Huskins.

Wait. We have just finished the easiest opening schedule EVER. All of our rah rah is about to get a serious shake up. Not hating. Just being practical. Perry is a 5 tool player with a Hart trophy. Comparing Brunner to him is laughable at this stage.

Wait. We have just finished the easiest opening schedule EVER. All of our rah rah is about to get a serious shake up. Not hating. Just being practical. Perry is a 5 tool player with a Hart trophy. Comparing Brunner to him is laughable at this stage.

Hey they are comparing Tatar to Brett Hull as well....

I like Brunner and Tatar and think they have long future's here in the NHL, but Perry and Hull they are not...

Hey Brunner has more goal than Sidney Crosby too....

I wasn't trying to compare the two, just pointing out that Brunner has the ability to produce and would be way cheaper to re-sign than to try and acquire Perry or sign him as a FA. Obviously Perry is the all-around better player, but if we're being realistic we all know that some other team will overpay to have him or he'll just re-sign with Anaheim because they have the cap space.

When healthy, the Wings already have a competitive top six. I'm not so sure Holland will be looking to add any pieces to that part of the roster, but we'll see what happens as the season draws closer to the trade deadline.

Guest The Axe

I wasn't trying to compare the two, just pointing out that Brunner has the ability to produce and would be way cheaper to re-sign than to try and acquire Perry or sign him as a FA. Obviously Perry is the all-around better player, but if we're being realistic we all know that some other team will overpay to have him or he'll just re-sign with Anaheim because they have the cap space.

When healthy, the Wings already have a competitive top six. I'm not so sure Holland will be looking to add any pieces to that part of the roster, but we'll see what happens as the season draws closer to the trade deadline.

This just isnt true. Our top 6 is old, weak, and slow. If I were rating them on a 1 to 10 scale, Id do it like this:

Franzen = 6

Zetterberg = 8

Filppula = 6

Samuelsson = 4

Datsyuk = 9

Bertuzzi = 4

Perry = 9

Semin = 7

Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner

Perrry-Datsyuk-Tatar

Semin-Helm-Filppula

Andersson-Emmerton-Tootoo

Too bad Samuelsson and Bertuzzi got multiple years and overpaid. Those 2 contracts hurt the most, in my opinion.

Bert and Sammy are only signed for one more season each. Vs Franzen who has 7 years left after this year, and Z also has 7 or 8. Plus Kronwalls 7 years..... All 3 are signed untill they are 40, and make a combined 14 million. There is a strong chance we will be paying all 3 for a few years after they retire. Let me rephrase that. We will be taking cap hits from all 3 for a few years after they are retired. Those are bad contracts. Just becasue Nicky played forever, doesn't mean those 3 can. But water under the bridge.

As for FA's there are a few. 6 that i like. Let's see if 1. they all become FA's, and 2. if we are able to land a big fish or 2.....

This just isnt true. Our top 6 is old, weak, and slow. If I were rating them on a 1 to 10 scale, Id do it like this:

Franzen = 6

Zetterberg = 8

Filppula = 6

Samuelsson = 4

Datsyuk = 9

Bertuzzi = 4

Perry = 9

Semin = 7

Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner

Perrry-Datsyuk-Tatar

Semin-Helm-Filppula

Andersson-Emmerton-Tootoo

Too bad Samuelsson and Bertuzzi got multiple years and overpaid. Those 2 contracts hurt the most, in my opinion.

How?

Combined, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson cost $5mil against the cap. I'd say that's a bargain cosidering that when they are healthy, they can contribute 15+ goals each, add good size to the team, and can play well in their own zone. And when everyone is healthy, they would be floating between the 2nd and 3rd line. The Red Wings would have a hard time finding two younger replacements for the same price that offer the same assetts.

They're also only under contract for one more season. Does it suck that they get hurt? Sure. But if they're hurt, it'll give a younger player that everyone whines about not being on the team, an opportunity to come up and play for the big club.

Edited by DSM

Guest The Axe

How?

Combined, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson cost $5mil against the cap. I'd say that's a bargain cosidering that when they are healthy, they can contribute 15+ goals each, add good size to the team, and can play well in their own zone. And when everyone is healthy, they would be floating between the 2nd and 3rd line. The Red Wings would have a hard time finding two younger replacements for the same price that offer the same assetts.

They're also only under contract for one more season. Does it suck that they get hurt? Sure. But if they're hurt, it'll give a younger player that everyone whines about not being on the team, an opportunity to come up and play for the big club.

15 goals with Dats or Z is a joke. Thats like saying 3 TD catches a year on the Patriots is good. Its not good. Its the bare minimum. Brunner is on pace for 25, and he doesnt even know what he's doing out there yet.

15 goals with Dats or Z is a joke. Thats like saying 3 TD catches a year on the Patriots is good. Its not good. Its the bare minimum. Brunner is on pace for 25, and he doesnt even know what he's doing out there yet.

Not surprisingly, you missed the point of my post entirely.

So now I ask you: Realistically, what two players could Holland get for a combined $5mil or less cap hit that would pot more than "15 goals with Dats or Z" and provide everything else that Bertuzzi and Samuelsson bring?

Edited by DSM

1. Pavel Datsyuk

2. Henrik Zetterberg

3. Damien Brunner (Likely re-signed)

4. Johan Franzen

5. Valtteri Filppula (FA)

6. Dan Cleary (FA)

7. Todd Bertuzzi

8. Mikael Samuelsson

9. Darren Helm

10. Justin Abdelkader

11. Jordin Tootoo

12. Drew Miller (FA)

13. Cory Emmerton

14. Patrick Eaves

15. Gustav Nyquist

16. Tomas Tatar

17. Joakim Andersson

What is the chance that we see a buyout (preferably Samuelsson)? There are simply too many forwards. Who deserves to stay up? Tatar? Andersson? How will we make room for them without buying out Bertuzzi and Samuelsson?