• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

If we can grab another top tier Forward whole retaining Flip and grab a number one D or Dekseyer (spelling?) kid, I think we will be in good shape.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#42 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Other than the obvious guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Backstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson....half of which may re-sign or retire, there's a decent amount of good complimentary players. Such as: Brendan Morrow, Mark Streit, Nathan Horton (one of my top choices), Rob Scuderi (really solid Dman), Douglas Murray, David Clarkson (i'm bigtime on this bandwagon), Ladislav Smid, Joe Corvo, Ryan Jones, Tyler Bozak, Blake Comeau, Brad Boyes, Viktor Stalberg. If even a handful of those guys are available, there's no reason at all to re-sign Cleary, Miller, and whoever fits that mold. Guys I really don't want to see are: Alexander Semin, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Riberio, Ron Hainsey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Nik Antropov, Ryane Clowe, Matt Cullen, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ian White, Danny Cleary, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Francis Bouillon, Alexi Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre and that's as far down the list as i'm going. I just hope Kenny lets some people walk and makes himself a list of guys he'd like to play here and sign only a few tops and for 2 years max unless obviously it's a Getzlaf/Perry type.

There's a definitely a good list of secondary type guys out there, but I only wonder how overpriced they will be? I think Holland will let Cleary and Miller walk and fill their spots with Tatar and Andersson. I think if he re-signs Filppula for the right price, he'll stand pat on offense.

I think on D is where he'll spend some money. He can let White walk, and fill his spot with an upgrade. I kind of would like him to go after a bigger more physical defender. The team has enough "puck movers" on the back end, they need more of a physical presence back there. I hope they make a play for Regehr.

Hell, with the deep draft this year, I will take a low 1st from a top team for Filppulla...or maybe a  2nd & 3rd. I am all for focusing on a top defender we need over a scorer.  I think our scoring will be fine once the D is taken care of.

If he does get moved, that will probably be the most realistic return. Maybe a 1st and a decent blueline prospect.

If we can grab another top tier Forward whole retaining Flip and grab a number one D or Dekseyer (spelling?) kid, I think we will be in good shape.

I'll bet if the Wings are in playoff position at the deadline, Holland will add a 2nd/3rd line forward and a 2nd/3rd pairing dman as playoff rentals.

Edited by DSM, 25 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Other than the obvious guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Backstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson....half of which may re-sign or retire, there's a decent amount of good complimentary players. Such as: Brendan Morrow, Mark Streit, Nathan Horton (one of my top choices), Rob Scuderi (really solid Dman), Douglas Murray, David Clarkson (i'm bigtime on this bandwagon), Ladislav Smid, Joe Corvo, Ryan Jones, Tyler Bozak, Blake Comeau, Brad Boyes, Viktor Stalberg. If even a handful of those guys are available, there's no reason at all to re-sign Cleary, Miller, and whoever fits that mold. Guys I really don't want to see are: Alexander Semin, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Riberio, Ron Hainsey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Nik Antropov, Ryane Clowe, Matt Cullen, Dustin Penner, Dainius Zubrus, Ian White, Danny Cleary, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Francis Bouillon, Alexi Kovalev, Maxim Lapierre and that's as far down the list as i'm going. I just hope Kenny lets some people walk and makes himself a list of guys he'd like to play here and sign only a few tops and for 2 years max unless obviously it's a Getzlaf/Perry type.

Ok, if I am letting the kids come up and stay (Tatar, Andersson, Sheahan) and with the emergance of Brunner, I am focusing on the D and making our bottom 6 even better.  If a trade is not made for players, but only draft picks (which is fine) of your list, I am going for Murray or Scuderi and Brendan Morrow in the UFA pool. 

I am trading one of Franzine or Filppula at the deadline for whatever I can get.  I am also getting rid of Kindl and Quincey for the same.  I am too happy with Lashoff and Huskins and am almost positive Dekeyser will be a Red Wing before the playoffs. Cola is here for another year as your 6/7 rotate guy.  Add to that D Corps, Scuderi or Murray (I like the other names you named too) and this D is looking pretty good as long as Kronwall continues his climb as a legit top guy.  Add Morrow to Helm's line with Tootoo and keep add Sheahan to Andersson and Abby and we are looking pretty good.  I suppose if Holland buys out Bert and Sammy, then allow Miller and Cleay to move on, we could keep both Fil and Franz, but that bumps out Nyquist again...maybe Nyquist can get us a very good draft pick...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Filppula

Fraznen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Morrow - Helm - Tootoo

Sheahan - Andersson - Abby

Eaves

...on paper I like that and it also keeps the wishful thinking of Perry or Ryan out of the story... I think seriously we can have Morrow pretty easily.

On the D, again, Kindl and Quincey are gone for picks and Dekeyser is in.  Ian White is gone and I am siginging a top UFA....

Kronwall - Murray (or Scuderi)

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#44 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ok, if I am letting the kids come up and stay (Tatar, Andersson, Sheahan) and with the emergance of Brunner, I am focusing on the D and making our bottom 6 even better.  If a trade is not made for players, but only draft picks (which is fine) of your list, I am going for Murray or Scuderi and Brendan Morrow in the UFA pool. 

I am trading one of Franzine or Filppula at the deadline for whatever I can get.  I am also getting rid of Kindl and Quincey for the same.  I am too happy with Lashoff and Huskins and am almost positive Dekeyser will be a Red Wing before the playoffs. Cola is here for another year as your 6/7 rotate guy.  Add to that D Corps, Scuderi or Murray (I like the other names you named too) and this D is looking pretty good as long as Kronwall continues his climb as a legit top guy.  Add Morrow to Helm's line with Tootoo and keep add Sheahan to Andersson and Abby and we are looking pretty good.  I suppose if Holland buys out Bert and Sammy, then allow Miller and Cleay to move on, we could keep both Fil and Franz, but that bumps out Nyquist again...maybe Nyquist can get us a very good draft pick...

Tatar - Datsyuk - Filppula

Fraznen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Morrow - Helm - Tootoo

Sheahan - Andersson - Abby

Eaves

...on paper I like that and it also keeps the wishful thinking of Perry or Ryan out of the story... I think seriously we can have Morrow pretty easily.

On the D, again, Kindl and Quincey are gone for picks and Dekeyser is in.  Ian White is gone and I am siginging a top UFA....

Kronwall - Murray (or Scuderi)

Smith - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

If the Red Wings are going to keep Sheahan on the team, it would have to be for more than a 4th line role. The kid can still go to GR for 2 more seasons and round out his offensive game playing 20 minutes a night, rather than playing 10 on the Wings 4th line. And where did Emmerton go?

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

If the Red Wings are going to keep Sheahan on the team, it would have to be for more than a 4th line role. The kid can still go to GR for 2 more seasons and round out his offensive game playing 20 minutes a night, rather than playing 10 on the Wings 4th line. And where did Emmerton go?

Damn! I always forget someone! But that just goes to show, we have way too many forwards with the kids ready to go.  Big decisions are to be made soon! I know Sheahan and Tatar still have options, but I think Tatar has earned a spot...I guess we could all wait one more season when there is even more room for the kids, but next season Holland has to do something to convince Datsyuk to re-sign and not go home.  That is not keep the old guys here and let the kids fester in GR.  If Dats is going to stay here, it will be to win, not to just barely make the playoffs, if at all.  Right now Dats has to be encouraged by the play of the kids and probably relishes the role of teacher, but he cannot teach old men like Sammy and Bertuzzi and Cleary.  I think they all need to go and the kids need to be here...whatever happens, we need to keep Dats around for a few more years somehow....This team will not survive his departure with the team he will leave behind...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#46 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Perry is #1 on.my list. He fills a big hole.

What hole? Are you saying you want to sign Perry to play defense??

We need to focus on resigning who we have. Brunner and Fil who are both going to demand more money to stay. With those guys we have a top 6 as good as any. We also have enough depth and young guys who look promising for the bottom 6. We need defense.

This team isn't likely to get much better, from here out we are only going to have to pay guys more. Our top 2 forwards are getting old as well. Who knows if Dats will even be around here after his contract. The only sure way to get better in this league now days is to get worse first and draft high. That's right around the corner for us unfortunately. If we make the right small moves we can likely stay a playoff contender for a couple more years. You just can't trade old guys for young superstars. You can't afford to bid on big free agents anymore either. Its the reality of this league today. Our core is what it is and like I already said all we can do is put the right small pieces together and keep ourselves in the playoffs. The first year we miss the playoffs you can be sure we start rebuilding and those big changes you all talk about will come.

#47 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

What hole? Are you saying you want to sign Perry to play defense??

We need to focus on resigning who we have. Brunner and Fil who are both going to demand more money to stay. With those guys we have a top 6 as good as any. We also have enough depth and young guys who look promising for the bottom 6. We need defense.

This team isn't likely to get much better, from here out we are only going to have to pay guys more. Our top 2 forwards are getting old as well. Who knows if Dats will even be around here after his contract. The only sure way to get better in this league now days is to get worse first and draft high. That's right around the corner for us unfortunately. If we make the right small moves we can likely stay a playoff contender for a couple more years. You just can't trade old guys for young superstars. You can't afford to bid on big free agents anymore either. Its the reality of this league today. Our core is what it is and like I already said all we can do is put the right small pieces together and keep ourselves in the playoffs. The first year we miss the playoffs you can be sure we start rebuilding and those big changes you all talk about will come.

This is why I say (even though I still wish for Perry or Ryan) just trade for picks and go after that D in the summer and draft for the future.  The kids are ready, we may even see Jarnkrok next season so room will have to be made. 2 Buyouts, let Cleary walk, let go on White and Kindl.  If someone does want Filppula, I would take a #25-ish overall for him...same goes for Franzine, a top 20 draft pick would suffice. With a couple of first rounders Holland could draft (if available) Ryan Pulock and Robert Haag and be well on his way to a great Defense in 4-5 years...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#48 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

This is why I say (even though I still wish for Perry or Ryan) just trade for picks and go after that D in the summer and draft for the future.  The kids are ready, we may even see Jarnkrok next season so room will have to be made. 2 Buyouts, let Cleary walk, let go on White and Kindl.  If someone does want Filppula, I would take a #25-ish overall for him...same goes for Franzine, a top 20 draft pick would suffice. With a couple of first rounders Holland could draft (if available) Ryan Pulock and Robert Haag and be well on his way to a great Defense in 4-5 years...

I wouldn't spend the teams immediate future on the draft. The draft is a gamble, there's no guarantee that guys that go in the first round are going to be big name players. Ever heard of Alexandre Daigle or Patrik Stefan? I know you've heard of Thomas McCollum...

#49 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't think they'll be looking to upgrade over Colaiacovo and Huskins. Colaiacovo is still under contract for next season and with everyone healthy Huskins is their #7 guy, which will probably be Lashoffs spot next season. If they bring in a UFA dman, it'll be because they let White walk.

My bad.  Forgot about that 2-year deal for Cola.  In my opinion, they should let White walk.  He's never really been that impressive with the Wings.

As for everyone penciling in Dekeyser on defense, did I miss where Holland said that he would get a guaranteed spot, or something?  I would imagine he'd at least spend one season in GR.

#50 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I want Regehr, Scuderi, Murray, Smid or Hainsey. I think Hainsey would be a very good fit for us, he's never really played on a good team, yet he's produced at a modest pace and he is reliable defensively and plays a ton of PK.

We'll need a center if we lose Filpulla, I'd love to get Weiss here, obviously Getzlaf would be a dream, but I think getting Weiss could have a better chance of happening. Franzen-Weiss-Tatar to go along with Brunner-Dats-Zetterberg would be a pretty good top 6 next season. Maybe Andy McDonald? He's always been an underrated player.

For Wingers I'd maybe be interested in Horton, Morrow, Penner, Clowe, or Clarkson. Need some big guys to create some space. Dare I say Jagr? I know he'd be 42, but the guy is still producing 50-60 points. He could really slow down the game for us on the powerplay on the second unit.

Lots of options, but we have to get Brunner, and Howard back for sure. I'd like Filpulla back, he's a player that can play lots of different positions and be a part of a winning team. He does the little things well, and is a outstanding skater.

#51 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

My bad.  Forgot about that 2-year deal for Cola.  In my opinion, they should let White walk.  He's never really been that impressive with the Wings.

As for everyone penciling in Dekeyser on defense, did I miss where Holland said that he would get a guaranteed spot, or something?  I would imagine he'd at least spend one season in GR.

White being a UFA is really the only opening they will have on D. 4 of their (healthy) top 6 are all under contract for next season (Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey and Colaiacovo), Smith is an RFA that will obviously be returning, Lashoff just signed an extension that is probably a one-way deal and Kindl is an RFA that has a clouded future. I doubt the Red Wings want to carry 8 dmen next season when they have so many forwards, so White leaving is the only opening they have to make an upgrade.

I've been avoiding the whole Dekeyser thing. For one thing, if he is of the same calibre as Justin Shultz, he'll probably sign with a team that will be eager to give him a big role right off the bat. The Red Wings won't want to do that.

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

That is just it with Dekeyser, he has had interest from Toronto, Tampa and Detroit to name a few...this will be much like the Justin Schultz deal.  I am sure Danny would rather go somewhere he is going to step in to the NHL, not the AHL. That is ok though, if Kindl is dealt or waived and Ian White leaves as a UFA, then there is room for Dekeyser. Even with Quincey hanging around, you just have to let Huskins go...

Kronwall - UFA

Smith - Ericsson

Quincey - Dekeyser/Lashoff

...of course all of this opens up if Quincey gets packaged...  I know Danny prefers Detroit over any other team but of course he would rather go somewhere he is going to play NHL minutes...

edit: If for some reason, Holland likes his team going forward and only adds Dekeyser then there is plenty of room!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl

Edited by LeftWinger, 25 February 2013 - 03:51 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#53 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

That is just it with Dekeyser, he has had interest from Toronto, Tampa and Detroit to name a few...this will be much like the Justin Schultz deal.  I am sure Danny would rather go somewhere he is going to step in to the NHL, not the AHL. That is ok though, if Kindl is dealt or waived and Ian White leaves as a UFA, then there is room for Dekeyser. Even with Quincey hanging around, you just have to let Huskins go...

Kronwall - UFA

Smith - Ericsson

Quincey - Dekeyser/Lashoff

...of course all of this opens up if Quincey gets packaged...  I know Danny prefers Detroit over any other team but of course he would rather go somewhere he is going to play NHL minutes...

edit: If for some reason, Holland likes his team going forward and only adds Dekeyser then there is plenty of room!

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl

I think if Kindl and White are both gone, the Red Wings will look for a good shut down type dman this summer and roll with something like this

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincey-Smith

UFA-Colaiacovo/Lashoff

#54 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I've been avoiding the whole Dekeyser thing. For one thing, if he is of the same calibre as Justin Shultz, he'll probably sign with a team that will be eager to give him a big role right off the bat. The Red Wings won't want to do that.

The Wings have a really good shot at landing Dekeyser.  From MI, played with Jim Nill's son, and grew up a Wings fan  As long as the Wings don't lowball him horribly, they lead the pack for this kid. 

We shall see!

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#55 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Dekeyser will be signed. he was going to come out this year, had all 30 teams interested, the RW's said go back to college for one more year, and he followed their advise. Funny thing, didn't schutz play 30-40 games in the AHL this year? LOl on that sure thing in the NHL..... When we do sign him, he needs some time in GR. Going pro is a big step.

That being said, that is all i would do ref D in FA. We have a bunch of good young big Dmen. It is the forward group that needs to be rebuilt.

#56 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Dekeyser will be signed. he was going to come out this year, had all 30 teams interested, the RW's said go back to college for one more year, and he followed their advise. Funny thing, didn't schutz play 30-40 games in the AHL this year? LOl on that sure thing in the NHL..... When we do sign him, he needs some time in GR. Going pro is a big step.

That being said, that is all i would do ref D in FA. We have a bunch of good young big Dmen. It is the forward group that needs to be rebuilt.

SCHULTZ WAS IN THE AHL BECAUSE OF THE LOCKOUT!

YOUR DUMB POSTS INFURIATE ME!!!!

Edited by DSM, 25 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Easy now DSM....I agree with you, but I disagree with him also on Dekeyser playing in GR.  If he signs with Detroit it will be for the NHL.  There is nothing saying that if he struggles he cannot go to the AHL for more experience, I do believe that he has so many years of waiver free movement after his first pro contract signing...

He can sign here. be placed in the big club for the remainder of the season and playoffs (if we get there) and then he will have a spot a the club next season unless he struggles. If we are keeping Quincey then Dekeyser still had a spot with Cola being #7 along with Huskins. Then in the off season, a decision on Huskins has to be made, but I think Holland would stick with the younger guys...

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Cola

...of course I still prefer to trade Quincey for a pick and get a UFA top defender over the summer. But if Holland gets Dekeyser then I can get a little excited about the D even if Quincey stays.  I like what that looks like on paper, as long as Quincey picks it up. I's still rather have Murray, but if we are going with our kids and letting them grow together, lets do it 100% full throttle!

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#58 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Scuderi as a top 2 Def... Wow
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#59 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Easy now DSM....I agree with you, but I disagree with him also on Dekeyser playing in GR.  If he signs with Detroit it will be for the NHL.  There is nothing saying that if he struggles he cannot go to the AHL for more experience, I do believe that he has so many years of waiver free movement after his first pro contract signing...

He can sign here. be placed in the big club for the remainder of the season and playoffs (if we get there) and then he will have a spot a the club next season unless he struggles. If we are keeping Quincey then Dekeyser still had a spot with Cola being #7 along with Huskins. Then in the off season, a decision on Huskins has to be made, but I think Holland would stick with the younger guys...

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Quincey
Dekeyser - Lashoff
Cola

...of course I still prefer to trade Quincey for a pick and get a UFA top defender over the summer. But if Holland gets Dekeyser then I can get a little excited about the D even if Quincey stays.  I like what that looks like on paper, as long as Quincey picks it up. I's still rather have Murray, but if we are going with our kids and letting them grow together, lets do it 100% full throttle!

I just can't see the Red Wings putting that kind of faith into signing the kid. The only opening they'll have on the blueline is Whites spot. If this Dekeyser guy doesn't pan out, the Wings are back to square one, just without White. I'm sure the Wings would love to have him, I just doubt they would guarantee him a spot on the main roster like some other teams might.

#60 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I just can't see the Red Wings putting that kind of faith into signing the kid. The only opening they'll have on the blueline is Whites spot. If this Dekeyser guy doesn't pan out, the Wings are back to square one, just without White. I'm sure the Wings would love to have him, I just doubt they would guarantee him a spot on the main roster like some other teams might.

Actually, Lashoff already has White's spot. Kindl would need to go to create a spot for someone new, unless we plan on carrying 8 D. I wouldn't be surprised if Kindl does go, just pointing out that we already have 7 D either signed or RFA.

Of course, Cola's spot will likely open up sometime in the pre-season...