10. Justin Abdelkader

11. Jordin Tootoo

12. Drew Miller (FA)

13. Cory Emmerton

14. Patrick Eaves

15. Gustav Nyquist

16. Tomas Tatar

17. Joakim Andersson

What is the chance that we see a buyout (preferably Samuelsson)? There are simply too many forwards. Who deserves to stay up? Tatar? Andersson? How will we make room for them without buying out Bertuzzi and Samuelsson?

Cleary and Miller probably won't be resigned.

Nyquist will probably start in GR since he will still be waiver exempt.

No buyouts.

Not surprisingly, you missed the point of my post entirely.

So now I ask you: Realistically, what two players could Holland get for a combined $5mil or less cap hit that would pot more than "15 goals with Dats or Z" and provide everything else that Bertuzzi and Samuelsson bring?

Aside from medical expenses and blocking a roster spot form younger player, what is it exactly that they bring?

Edited by mackel

Aside from medical expenses and blocking a roster spot form younger player, what is it exactly that they bring?

Oh boy, the "blocking a spot from a young player" angle :rolleyes:

You apparently didn't read the post that Axe was responding too. Go back and read it. K THX.

Bert and Sammy are only signed for one more season each. Vs Franzen who has 7 years left after this year, and Z also has 7 or 8. Plus Kronwalls 7 years..... All 3 are signed untill they are 40, and make a combined 14 million. There is a strong chance we will be paying all 3 for a few years after they retire. Let me rephrase that. We will be taking cap hits from all 3 for a few years after they are retired. Those are bad contracts. Just becasue Nicky played forever, doesn't mean those 3 can. But water under the bridge.

As for FA's there are a few. 6 that i like. Let's see if 1. they all become FA's, and 2. if we are able to land a big fish or 2.....

Not true. All 3 guys signed before the age of 35 so when they retire, their cap hit disappears from the books. Not like Pronger in Philly :lol: . I just hope that the guys we have contracts expiring on this year, we let go and try to get good depth guys like Scuderi. Not sure there's any spots open on forward or D, but hey, there's always GR for guys who don't measure up. Sproul and Ouellet will likely be the top unit there next season and hopefully only there for 1 year.

Not true. All 3 guys signed before the age of 35 so when they retire, their cap hit disappears from the books. Not like Pronger in Philly :lol: . I just hope that the guys we have contracts expiring on this year, we let go and try to get good depth guys like Scuderi. Not sure there's any spots open on forward or D, but hey, there's always GR for guys who don't measure up. Sproul and Ouellet will likely be the top unit there next season and hopefully only there for 1 year.

Should be interesting to see what Holland does if he wants to open up spots.

Lets consider:

-If you leave out UFA's (Filppula, Cleary, White, Howard, Brunner, Huskins and Miller)

-It's a good bet that all RFA's minus Mursak have a pretty much 100% chance of being re-signed (Andersson, Kindl and Smith)

-Factor in that Tatar, Andersson and Lashoff can no longer go to GR without hitting waivers

You end up with 20 players on the roster (12 Forwards, 7 Dmen, and 1 Goalie). That leaves 3 spots open. Obviously, the Wings priority at this time is to re-sign Howard, Brunner and Filppula. Which takes up the 3 open spots.

The Red Wings will have to make some moves if they want to make upgrades. However, I doubt they will go the buyout route.

Edited by DSM

Lets consider:

-If you leave out UFA's (Filppula, Cleary, White, Howard, Brunner, Huskins and Miller)

-It's a good bet that all RFA's minus Mursak have a pretty much 100% chance of being re-signed (Andersson, Kindl and Smith)

-Factor in that Tatar, Andersson and Lashoff can no longer go to GR without hitting waivers

You end up with 20 players on the roster (12 Forwards, 7 Dmen, and 1 Goalie). That leaves 3 spots open. Obviously, the Wings priority at this time is to re-sign Howard, Brunner and Filppula. Which takes up the 3 open spots.

The Red Wings

+1

Essentially, Kenny's gotta make some moves that might be out of his comfort zone as a GM or he stands pat with what he's got. If he DOESN'T make a good move and the team continues to perform in the manner it has been, it could be the begining of the end for his job security.

Edited by e_prime

Lets consider:

The Red Wings will have to make some moves if they want to make upgrades. However, I doubt they will go the buyout route.

Exactly.

BUT if you don't re-sign Filpulla (because he asks for 5M or something) then you have one roster spot open.

If Kenny uses two amnesty buyouts (let's say Franzen [sick of his floating]and Cola [Mr Glass]) then that opens two more spots.

Something like this? Not saying that this is a preffered line-up, but it could be done (although Clarkson and Clowe will probably either re-sign with their respective clubs or get over-paid on the open market)

FORWARDS

Ryane Clowe ($5.000m) - Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) - Damien Brunner ($4.000m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) - Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) - David Clarkson ($4.000m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) - Darren Helm ($2.125m) - Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) - Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) - Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) - Ron Hainsey ($3.500m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) - Brendan Smith ($1.200m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) - Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,746,667; BONUSES: $160,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $713,333

Exactly.

BUT if you don't re-sign Filpulla (because he asks for 5M or something) then you have one roster spot open.

If Kenny uses two amnesty buyouts (let's say Franzen [sick of his floating]and Cola [Mr Glass]) then that opens two more spots.

Something like this? Not saying that this is a preffered line-up, but it could be done (although Clarkson and Clowe will probably either re-sign with their respective clubs or get over-paid on the open market)

FORWARDS

Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) - Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) - Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)

OTHER

------

Buying out Franzen would be foolish and they could probably get something for Colaiacovo in a trade. I seriously doubt Holland will use any amnesty buyouts.

Exactly.

FORWARDS

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)

OTHER

------

As a fan of the Jets that lives in Winnipeg, you in no way, shape or form want Hainsey dude. He's worse than Quincey and isn't even worth 2 mil per. I would love Clarkson here, but if Clowe came here i'd uncontrollably vomit until he left again. He's a cheap POS and belongs on the Sharks. and at $5 mil per.... :nono: . Keep Franzen instead of that D bag. Flip will get Franzen money. That's the way Kenny works. And as stated above by DSM, there's only a certain number of roster spots open and you're bang on with Clarkson but not the others. He would be perfect here. He plays a lot like Perry, not quite as lethal around the net, but he's way tougher. He would be the linemate that opens up space for Dats and Tatar, not Cleary or Abs.

Buying out Franzen would be foolish and they could probably get something for Colaiacovo in a trade. I seriously doubt Holland will use any amnesty buyouts.

Franzen would also get something in a trade. There's a lot of teams that would take him in a second. Flames, BJ's, Islanders, Sabres, Stars...the list goes on. His value is understated, especially how he's actually been playing quite good this year.

Colavaico has a NTC. Buy him out. Trade franzen or buy him out, prefer trade. Sign Clarkson-he should be our target while everyone is fighting over Perry. Also sign Torres over Clowe. He will be a cheaper rpice and is a much better over all player.

Colavaico has a NTC. Buy him out. Trade franzen or buy him out, prefer trade. Sign Clarkson-he should be our target while everyone is fighting over Perry. Also sign Torres over Clowe. He will be a cheaper rpice and is a much better over all player.

We already established that buying out Franzen would be foolish and that Holland probably won't buy anyone out.

Yea, I'm sure every other GM in the NHL is just going to forget about Clarkson while Perry is on the market.... :rolleyes: Is that how it works on NHL13?

Guest The Axe

Not surprisingly, you missed the point of my post entirely.

So now I ask you: Realistically, what two players could Holland get for a combined $5mil or less cap hit that would pot more than "15 goals with Dats or Z" and provide everything else that Bertuzzi and Samuelsson bring?

Tatar and Andersson cost 2 million. I would much rather have them in the lineup. Young and fast over old and slow all day.

Someone reminded me that Clowe had 35 mintues worth of penalties vs the Nucks their first meeting this season. Is that possible?

BTW I'll pass on Clowe.

Thx

Me too. He's an ignorant D bag and i hope like hell he re-signs with the Sharts asap. Clarkson or one of Iginla, Perry or Getzlaf or be very selective with who gets offered multi year contracts. We don't need any bridge-gapping line up tampons.

Colaiacovo does not have a NTC. But $2.5M is way too much to sit in the press box. He has only played in 2 games and pretty much has lost his position to Lashoff, Kindl and Huskins...in that order. Bury him in the minors or if he gets claimed that is fine...

As a fan of the Jets that lives in Winnipeg, you in no way, shape or form want Hainsey dude. He's worse than Quincey and isn't even worth 2 mil per. I would love Clarkson here, but if Clowe came here i'd uncontrollably vomit until he left again. He's a cheap POS and belongs on the Sharks. and at $5 mil per.... :nono: . Keep Franzen instead of that D bag. Flip will get Franzen money. That's the way Kenny works. And as stated above by DSM, there's only a certain number of roster spots open and you're bang on with Clarkson but not the others. He would be perfect here. He plays a lot like Perry, not quite as lethal around the net, but he's way tougher. He would be the linemate that opens up space for Dats and Tatar, not Cleary or Abs.

Franzen would also get something in a trade. There's a lot of teams that would take him in a second. Flames, BJ's, Islanders, Sabres, Stars...the list goes on. His value is understated, especially how he's actually been playing quite good this year.

No, you don't get it. Every player on the wings is worth nothing more than a bag of pucks.

I honestly don't believe that the Red Wings will (or need) to do much in the off season.

1st. re-sign Howard and Brunner

2nd. Try to re-sign Filppula...if this fails GO BIG and try to land Perry... this fails, Nyquist and Tatar get to play with Datsyuk.

3rd. re-sign Smith and Kindl

4th. Bring up Nyquist and Tatar full time.

5th. Cleary, Miller, White, Huskins trade/walk

6th. Berrtuzzi LTIR

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Perry/Filppula

Tatar - Helm - Samuelsson

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton,Eaves - extra

If our D keeps playing the way they are, they stay the same.

If they struggle sign Dekeyser. (hopefully we sign Dekeyser either way) icon_twisted.gif

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith- Quincey/Dekeyser

Kindl - Lashoff

Colaiacovo - extra

1.Howard
2.Gustavsson
3.Mrazek ( Mrazek takes Gustavsson's spot in 2014-15)

Colaiacovo does not have a NTC. But $2.5M is way too much to sit in the press box. He has only played in 2 games and pretty much has lost his position to Lashoff, Kindl and Huskins...in that order. Bury him in the minors or if he gets claimed that is fine...

Got confused.... sammy has one not Cola..... oh well, either way he needs to go.

We already established that buying out Franzen would be foolish and that Holland probably won't buy anyone out.

Yea, I'm sure every other GM in the NHL is just going to forget about Clarkson while Perry is on the market.... :rolleyes: Is that how it works on NHL13?

No, You think that. It would be the smart thing to do. BTW, what happened last year? Everyone was bidding on Suter, while TB signed carle and vancover signed Garrison. Both of which would have been good pick ups for many teams.

Now it will not matter, I think it is over 50% that Perry resigns with the Ducks. They can go longer on a deal than the other 29 teams can.

If we let Filppula walk we should have 10 million to spend, while keeping everyone else that is currently signed. Add Clarkson for 6ish and Torres for 4 ish. Puts more beef, grit, and scoring on 2 lines.

I wouldn't spend the teams immediate future on the draft. The draft is a gamble, there's no guarantee that guys that go in the first round are going to be big name players. Ever heard of Alexandre Daigle or Patrik Stefan? I know you've heard of Thomas McCollum...

Free Agency is a gamble too

I honestly don't believe that the Red Wings will (or need) to do much in the off season.

1st. re-sign Howard and Brunner

2nd. Try to re-sign Filppula...if this fails GO BIG and try to land Perry... this fails, Nyquist and Tatar get to play with Datsyuk.

3rd. re-sign Smith and Kindl

4th. Bring up Nyquist and Tatar full time.

5th. Cleary, Miller, White, Huskins trade/walk

6th. Berrtuzzi LTIR

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Perry/Filppula

Tatar - Helm - Samuelsson

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton,Eaves - extra

If our D keeps playing the way they are, they stay the same.

If they struggle sign Dekeyser. (hopefully we sign Dekeyser either way) icon_twisted.gif

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith- Quincey/Dekeyser

Kindl - Lashoff

Colaiacovo - extra

1.Howard

2.Gustavsson

3.Mrazek ( Mrazek takes Gustavsson's spot in 2014-15)

you broke up the griffins line :sadlike: