D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#22 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Mike Greene is great offensively, but is questionable at times on D I thought

GREEN had 3 great seasons (scoring) in part because he was the #1 d-man on a team that played a run and gun style (the first team to do so since the early nineties). Everyone on the Capitals scored a lot more during those 3 years than they have since.

Kronwall is pretty good defensively, most people are basing their comments on the fact he was a -8 2 games ago.

The D has gone through major changes between this and last season, and constant minor changes due to injuries during the season.

Kronner is the only Dman that has played every game so far.

This means constant shifting of partners, players who are less experienced, players with different skill sets, and getting to know new people.

All of this takes time to gel.  In a normal season, and in a normal year, we would have had Lids and Stuart as constants and only be changing the bottom pair or two every game.

Whether you have two offensive or two defensive Dmen or one of each, it's going to be a different style of play.  With new players, it takes time to learn where they fit in and how their styles fit in together.

A pair who knows each other well can accommodate for a guy like Kronner who takes the risk of losing his assignment to Kronwall a guy.  If his partner knows it's coming, he can be ready to cover for him.  A guy like Kronner likes to head to the slot to shoot.  If the partner is expecting him to stay on the point, there's going to be miscommunication.

You can watch film on the new guy, but only experience practicing and playing together really makes you able to read and complement each other. 

That's what's been missing this season.  Hopefully it will gel before the playoffs.

Well put

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Kronwall is a good dman. Big shoes that cant be filled.

#24 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

GREEN had 3 great seasons (scoring) in part because he was the #1 d-man on a team that played a run and gun style (the first team to do so since the early nineties). Everyone on the Capitals scored a lot more during those 3 years than they have since.
Kronwall is pretty good defensively, most people are basing their comments on the fact he was a -8 2 games ago.

Well put

He has had made more mistakes defensively this year than he has in years past, yet is producing more offensively. Green I think has done the same.

An article about Green from a few yrs back http://m.bleacherrep...hout-mike-green

I feel the same way about Kronwall at times... I am not trying to change the focus of the thread. Just a little comparison. Also, others around here know what I am talking about and where it can go, because Green could of been on this team so if we didn't give up a pick per say I do believe.

The what if factor and discussion...

Edited by Rivalred, 25 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#25 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Its all well and good that hes putting up points, but that was never a question going into this season, we knew that the back-end of this team would be pretty good at the offensive side of the game. Its the OTHER side of things that Kronwall and others have been dismal. They aren't making the plays in the defensive end. And this was, and still is the biggest issue for the Wings. Kronwall right now is a Rafalski, the Wings need a shutdown guy to complement him.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

6 points in the last 2 games. I hope it's a turning point for him.

Not sure how many guys noticed, but his defensive game has been a lot better the past couple games. Kronner may be getting more comfortable in the big role without Big Poppa Nick there. Lets hope the first batch of games was just his "grace period" and we got Kronner back.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

he's just waiting until the time is right. when everyone thinks he's done kronwalling and no one suspects a thing  :ninja:

I was really hoping that he would have Kronwalled a Sedin sister or blast Kesler back to the press box.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Not sure how many guys noticed, but his defensive game has been a lot better the past couple games. Kronner may be getting more comfortable in the big role without Big Poppa Nick there. Lets hope the first batch of games was just his "grace period" and we got Kronner back.

I noticed that too, I have been saying it all week, even in the Columbus and Nashville games we lost I thought he played better. I think he is finally figuring out life without Nick, and it had to be Kronwall's version of a #1 dman, he was trying to be Nick and that didn't work, now he is being Kronwall but more responsible defensively and it really seems to be working for him now, i like it. Keep it up Kronner

#29 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

funny the last 2 games hes been playing good, the last 2 games hes been playing with ericsson. says a lot for E

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

funny the last 2 games hes been playing good, the last 2 games hes been playing with ericsson. says a lot for E

says a lot more for the fact that it's a good defensive pairing, hence why they played together last year. They have good chemistry together, I thought they should have been together from the start. Ericsson and Kronner compliment each others style nicely

#31 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

says a lot more for the fact that it's a good defensive pairing, hence why they played together last year. They have good chemistry together, I thought they should have been together from the start. Ericsson and Kronner compliment each others style nicely

They were! Rig was hurt.

#32 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Take that, Kronwall haters. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Take that, Kronwall haters. 

I dont think anyone hates Kronwall.

#34 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Agreed. It's mostly just disappointment. Glad to see him start turning it around though.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

They were! Rig was hurt.

I know he was hurt, but babs kept shuffling the pairings around even after rig came back, so they didn't get a good chance to regain old form together, now they seem to be doing well and hopefully babs doesn't mess with what is working.

#36 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I know he was hurt, but babs kept shuffling the pairings around even after rig came back, so they didn't get a good chance to regain old form together, now they seem to be doing well and hopefully babs doesn't mess with what is working.

Agreed!

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

agreed, I was actually expecting Kronwall to take a big step forward coming into the season to prove he could be our #1. It was tough to see him struggle like that cause I really like Kronner, but it's awesome to see him regaining form, so now I don't have to complain about him :) keep it up 55

#38 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Good for Kronners minus his minus mark. He is getting it done in the offensive zone and we haven't even seen someone be KRONWALLED yet this season either. Forgive me if I've missed one....

No it hasn't happened. HE tried it early on incl 1 on Jagr but never connected.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#39 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I don't think we'll see anyone get "kronwalled" in classic fashion this season. With refs calling everything, people getting suspended/match penalties for non-headshots.. I think he and the franchise think its just not worth it. The one time he tried to throw a big hit this season, he went for a complete hip-check to the point where it basically was rolling someone over his back. I really think it's just that they're too scared to get him a match penalty or worst-case a suspension where it isn't warranted. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'd rather see the nasty shutdown kronwalling machine back instead of the offensively focused version of him. Being good on the offense is nice don't get me wrong but we need a shutdown guy and he has to be that, unless he turns his defensive collapses around the cons are outhweighting the pros in that case, sadly.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !