• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SDavis35

Has the PP hit its stride?

Rate this topic

I've been noticing over the past 4-5 games or so, maybe even longer, that our powerplay has been looking a lot better. There's been good scoring chances, plenty of movement and we may even be getting better at entering the zone. Last night we were able to finish, whereas previous games we weren't quite able to hit the back of the net on our chances.

Anyone else think we might be getting something good out of our PP?

I've been noticing over the past 4-5 games or so, maybe even longer, that our powerplay has been looking a lot better. There's been good scoring chances, plenty of movement and we may even be getting better at entering the zone. Last night we were able to finish, whereas previous games we weren't quite able to hit the back of the net on our chances.

Anyone else think we might be getting something good out of our PP?

I don't want to get my hopes up, but it seems as though Renney is turning our pp around

I worry that as soon as we figure out puck movement in the zone, we'll have a tough time bringing it into the zone. That drop pass at the blue line that we used to use once in awhile has become a crutch I fear. We use it every single time we want to bring it over the line. It's getting predictable. Entering the zone on the PP requires effort. You need to skate your ass off to get around the wall the other team puts up. Pass well and be skating so that the other team isn't all over you when you receive a pass around the line. That or you take a pass at a stand-still, and try to gain momentum while the defender (who is skating harder) is in your face as soon as you try to start moving. Nothing positive ever happens to us when this situation arises and it's common for teams who don't want to skate.

Solution? Skate f***in harder. You can't rely on the drop pass or Datsyuk being a superhero every PP. The second unit lately has carried it over the line much easier yet they're less skilled. You can probably guess why.

Movement is quicker, we're using the outsides more and we're a lot less predictable when we're actually in the zone now though. Which is much better than the past two seasons where we phoned it in. Everyone in the building knew who was getting it, when and where the shot was coming from. Now we're different and it's helping.

Canuck fans were calling to the Team 1040 today saying they hoped Vancouver paid attention to what a real power play is suppossed to look like.

It's been a helluva lot more dynamic lately, which opens up passing and shooting lanes, and creates traffic.

As bad as Cleary has been this season, the last couple of games he's really done great work in front of the net. Screening the goalie, getting deflections etc.

Putting Brunner closer to the net and Z on the point also makes sense. I hope we can get the PP going on the road as well, we really need all the help we can get on the road.

In my opinion, only the (stacked) first unit has looked better. The second unit is just a hodge-podge.

First unit: Strategy also needs to be, and for the most part is, let Pav take the puck into the zone. NO ONE ELSE! He is the only one that can stickhandle comfortably into 3-4 defenders and retain possession.

And to boot, Kronner is the best PP QB on the team and Pav/Hank/Brunner all seem to take turns on the second QB spot.

Which is exactly where the 2nd unit fails: at the blueline. White and Kindl are not effective playing the blue line tight on the PP and they can't really get shots through effectively which, in my opinion, is essential for the PP.

Let's face it though, White and Kindl are 3rd pairing d-man that are out of their element.

Makes you realize how good Nick was for our PP.

no one gets my sarcasm on this forum

It's difficult when you don't know the guy ( hmm, 5500 posts between us and I don't know your style yet... :confused: )

But now that you point it out and i see it that way, it is kinda funny.

I don't think its just the power-play. During the beginning of this season, the Red Wings didn't have an identity. We brought in a bunch of new faces and lost several key cogs, and with the lockout cutting training camps short, the players didn't have any time to gel. I think within the past week or so (losing streak included) the Wings have played a more unified game of hockey, and while it hasn't always translated into wins, you can definitely see a difference between the Game 19 Red Wings and Game 9 Red Wings.

However I'm with Xithium. I'll be more comfortable with the state of this team when they can be successful in another team's barn.

I don't think its just the power-play. During the beginning of this season, the Red Wings didn't have an identity. We brought in a bunch of new faces and lost several key cogs, and with the lockout cutting training camps short, the players didn't have any time to gel. I think within the past week or so (losing streak included) the Wings have played a more unified game of hockey, and while it hasn't always translated into wins, you can definitely see a difference between the Game 19 Red Wings and Game 9 Red Wings.

However I'm with Xithium. I'll be more comfortable with the state of this team when they can be successful in another team's barn.

This in particular is something I really noticed as well. It's why I didn't want to throw everyone under the bus yet. I think we're capable of being a playoff team, unfortunately that's not going to come easy.

As for getting a road PPG... let's hope that happens tomorrow and thursday.