• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Cap Situation this off-season..

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Starting up front: It sounds like Tatar and Andersson are going to be in the opening game lineup next season. Brunner is a MUST re-sign. I don't think we'll keep Nyquist down another wasted season.

...That gives us a top-six of some combination of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Brunner, Tatar, Nyquist. A third line of Helm, Bert, Sammy. A fourth line of Abby, Andersson, Tootoo. Then we'll still have 13th and 14th forwards Emmerton and Eaves (rrr..) under contract.

...We're done!(??). How much of a raise Brunner will get is really the only issue. Nyquist and Andersson will get slight raises as RFA's, but just slight ones.

...There really isn't even a need to overpay to keep Val - unless we really want to / don't have to overpay. Certainly, there's no reason or desire to bring back Cleary (perhaps as a min salary under certain circumstances). Certainly no need to bring back Miller either (ditto).

On to defense: Smith is certainly an RFA that we're not going to give up on - he'll be back at a slight raise. Kronner and E as your top pair (for now..). Smith and Quincey as your second (again). Lashoff and Covalacio (under contract ..rrr) as two of your bottom three. Let's hold off on this for now.

On to the net. Jonas is under contract as the backup. Howard will certainly be brought back at a raise of some level.

WHERE ARE WE NOW:

About 12.1m under the cap. Let's say we dole out about 2mil in raises for our 3 RFA's (Andersson, Nyquist, Smith).

About 10.1m under the cap. Let's say Brunner's contract bumps to Val-level, about 3mil. About a 1.7m raise we'll say.

About 9.4m under the cap. Let's say Howard's contract bumps to "between Mule and Hank"-level. About 5mil. About a 2.8m raise we'll say.

About 6.6m in cap-space now. Not a ton - but something. And there are things we could do still to lower this without losing, really anything.

...For instance:

...Ridding ourselves of Eaves' worthless 1.2m salary (somehow). I'd much rather have a cheap prospect like Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, etc...or Miller/Cleary on a min. contract in that slot.

...Ridding ourselves of Colaiacovo's worthless 2.5m salary (somehow). I'd much rather see a cheap prospect...or Kindl back on min. in that slot.

...In more extravagant moves...Bert and Sammy are both contracts I'm sure we'd all love to see moved. Quincey is a contract we'd all love to see moved.

WITHOUT moving any of those deals, we're gonna have about 7 mil in cap space to add an elite #1 defenseman. Make some of those contracts disappear, and u can start talking about bringing Val and even White back too.

Holland really, really, really f-d the organization over last off-season. But, with some shrewdness, he will have a chance to revive it this off-season. A chance.

Bert and CocaCola are probably the buy outs, as sad as it is to say, Berts playing days are done more so because of his back.

Sammy and Quincey won't be bought out, to much loyality i feel there...

And why oh why is Nyquist getting a raise? lol he can't crack the lineup now

elite #1 defenseman? Not sure who will be avail, it will be who has to dump salary to make space

Nyquist has another year of waiver exemption, and I'd bet large amounts of money that he'll atleast start the season in GR next year.

No way the Red Wings don't make any upgrades on the blueline. There won't be any #1 top teir dmen available, but I can see Kenny trying to bring in a #3/4 guy for an affordable price.

(somehow) = amnesty buyouts.

The Wings have two. Take your pick: Bert, Sammy, CocaCola, Eaves, Quincey, etc.

I doubt the Red Wings will make any amnesty buyouts. They don't have any bad contracts really. All of the players you listed have a year remaining on pretty affordable contracts. They don't have any need to either, they have enough cap space to resign their guys, and bring in some UFA's as well.

Bert and CocaCola are probably the buy outs, as sad as it is to say, Berts playing days are done more so because of his back.

elite #1 defenseman? Not sure who will be avail, it will be who has to dump salary to make space

Technically, if he's still hurt this summer they won't be allowed to buy him out. That's why Boston and Philly can't buy out Savard or Pronger, even though those guys are more or less retired.

Once again, I doubt the Red Wings will buy anyone out.

WITHOUT moving any of those deals, we're gonna have about 7 mil in cap space to add an elite #1 defenseman. Make some of those contracts disappear, and u can start talking about bringing Val and even White back too.

Holland really, really, really f-d the organization over last off-season. But, with some shrewdness, he will have a chance to revive it this off-season. A chance.

Your math is off. With the deals you listed we're left with around $5.3M in cap space. Not that it matters though, there are no elite defensemen available. May not even be any good ones by the time July 1st arrives. Chances of a trade aren't much, if any, better.

Decline is, and always has been, inevitable. You can't rebuild through free agency.

Bert can be put on LTIR if his back is a problem. This will free up roster space without using a buyout.

Nyquist has another year of waiver exemption, and I'd bet large amounts of money that he'll atleast start the season in GR next year.

No way the Red Wings don't make any upgrades on the blueline. There won't be any #1 top teir dmen available, but I can see Kenny trying to bring in a #3/4 guy for an affordable price.

I doubt the Red Wings will make any amnesty buyouts. They don't have any bad contracts really. All of the players you listed have a year remaining on pretty affordable contracts. They don't have any need to either, they have enough cap space to resign their guys, and bring in some UFA's as well.

I don't think the Wings will make any buyouts, but they might have to if they want to re-sgn Brunner and Flip, as well as start the season with any of Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson in the NHL. They can also expose players to waivers. IMO Sammy could be a prime buyput candidate if he doesn't produce when he (finally) plays this season. Nyquist and Tatar appear ready to make the transiation to the NHL, and Sammy plays a similar role (2nd/3rd line tweener) to where they would enter the NHL.

There will have to be some tough decisions made about Emmerton, Eaves, Andersson, Tatar, and Nyquist made during the off-season. Emmerton may have been passed on the depth chart by Andersson in the near-term, with Sheahan climbing in long-term value. Also, Eaves doesn't seem to be in favor this season.

The cap isn't a concern, but setting up the team's future is a concern this off-season. IMO Flip should be re-signed because he is important when Dats and/or Z are injured, and if/when Dats decides to retire from the NHL. He could be a key player in the team transition if Dats decides to return home in the next few years.

Also, I think a player like Clowe is important to anticipate Bert leaving in two years. While it would be best to wait, Clowe and Clarkson are UFA's this season, and similar players (Hartnell, Simmonds, Stewart, etc)are RFA or signed to long-term deals. This move makes more sense if the Wings move east to a division with Toronto, Boston, and Buffalo).

Further, as everyone is aware of, signing a top-4 d-man would help the team greatly.

...Ridding ourselves of Eaves' worthless 1.2m salary (somehow). I'd much rather have a cheap prospect like Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, etc...or Miller/Cleary on a min. contract in that slot.

...Ridding ourselves of Colaiacovo's worthless 2.5m salary (somehow). I'd much rather see a cheap prospect...or Kindl back on min. in that slot.

...In more extravagant moves...Bert and Sammy are both contracts I'm sure we'd all love to see moved. Quincey is a contract we'd all love to see moved.

-Eaves is a #12/13/14 forward on this team, why would they put a prospect in that spot, when that prospect can go play every night in Grand Rapids? Eaves is just fine in that spot and is UFA after next season.

-Kindl makes more than league minimum now, so he certainly wouldn't re-sign for it... If the Red Wings offered him league minimum, he'd probably just go over to the KHL...

Holland didn't F the organization last summer. The UFA market was thin, which inevitably drove up the cost of trades as well. Not much he could've done... He arguably made the offense better by replacing Hudler with Brunner, and Holmstrom with Samuelsson, and adding a physical element in Tootoo. He also made the goaltending better by adding a potential #1B guy. Definately not F-ing the organization. The only way anyone could've done better, would've been on NHL13.

I don't think the Wings will make any buyouts, but they might have to if they want to re-sgn Brunner and Flip, as well as start the season with any of Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson in the NHL. They can also expose players to waivers. IMO Sammy could be a prime buyput candidate if he doesn't produce when he (finally) plays this season. Nyquist and Tatar appear ready to make the transiation to the NHL, and Sammy plays a similar role (2nd/3rd line tweener) to where they would enter the NHL.

You have to put players on waivers to buy them out anyway...

I would think Miller will almost definitely be back.

He is everything you want in a bottom 6 player. Pending roster upgrades, if he is on the 4th line, I would consider that to be a steal.

The problem is roster room. It isn't unlikely the Wings could start the season with something like this.

Brunner- Z- Mule

Flip- Dats- Bert

Sammy- Helm- Tatar/Nyquist

Abby- Andersson- Tootoo

Eaves/Emmerton

Where does Miller (or Cleary) fit? Would you take Miller over Tatar/Nyquist? Andersson/Emmerton are unlikely to be moved/demoted since the Wings like Abby on the wing and they can play center. If Sammy or Bert are on LTIR (or bought out) that leaves a whole in the top-9. Both Tatar and Nyquist can be used in that role, and the Wings could then look at a player like Clarkson or Clowe to be a bigger body in the top-9 after Bert retires.I just don't see where Miller fits in this lineup.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

The problem is roster room. It isn't unlikely the Wings could start the season with something like this.

Brunner- Z- Mule

Flip- Dats- Bert

Sammy- Helm- Tatar/Nyquist

Abby- Andersson- Tootoo

Eaves/Emmerton

Where does Miller (or Cleary) fit? Would you take Miller over Tatar/Nyquist? Andersson/Emmerton are unlikely to be moved/demoted since the Wings like Abby on the wing and they can play center. If Sammy or Bert are on LTIR (or bought out) that leaves a whole in the top-9. Both Tatar and Nyquist can be used in that role, and the Wings could then look at a player like Clarkson or Clowe to be a bigger body in the top-9 after Bert retires.I just don't see where Miller fits in this lineup.

That's a good point. I mean I am one who is annoyed with the lack of roster spots for guys like Andersson, Tatar, and Nyquist.

I dunno, this is a tough situation. We simply have too many forwards. I realize what he brings, but at this point I would like to see us move on from Bert. And Filppula is just.....frustrating.

That's a good point. I mean I am one who is annoyed with the lack of roster spots for guys like Andersson, Tatar, and Nyquist.

I dunno, this is a tough situation. We simply have too many forwards. I realize what he brings, but at this point I would like to see us move on from Bert. And Filppula is just.....frustrating.

I agree. I like Miller, but I prefer Abby and Tootoo on the 4th line to him. It would be great to have Miller as the 13th forward (there's always an injury) but roster decisions make that difficult.

Bert can still be effective, but we do not know what his back situation is currently. If Bert is on LTIR, I think the Wings would benefit from a bigger body in the top-6. They seem to be trying Abby in that position now, but a player like Clowe could provide a missing element on the scoring lines.

IMO Flip is a great insurance policy in the top-6. Outside of Dats and Z, he is the only skilled center the Wings have in the NHL. Dats and Z haven't been the healthiest (and they're aging) and Dats' future is uncertain since he wants to return to Russia at some point.

So having too many NHL players is a bad thing? Holland disagrees wholeheartedly.