• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cr00d

Gus Nyquist...

Rate this topic

...is your up to date AHL scoring leader, with 52 points in 51 games.

Just thought some might like to know that. Apologies if it's been discussed elsewhere, i could not find it.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&season_id=40&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

That's awesome. What's scary is Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz are still in the top 10 (Eberle was in 1st) and they only played 34 games. Funny to see Kris Newbury on there too.

He's not "over ripening". It's only his second season in GR, if the Red Wings thought he would be "ripping it up with Datsyuk" he would be on the team right now.

Exactly..I would rather have Tatar and Andersson up right now, they have played their roles..Nyquist has not fit into any of the roles they have tried to put him in so far.

Exactly..I would rather have Tatar and Andersson up right now, they have played their roles..Nyquist has not fit into any of the roles they have tried to put him in so far.

I agree.

I'm not dogging Gusteve Nyzerman, I think he has a future with the team, but right now there is no place where he would fit in and help the team. He needs all the AHL he can get, so he can add a little edge to that 5-11 185lb game.

Nyquist should be playing on Pavel's wing. If he can't fit into that role on the top 6, then we should trade him for a bag of beans.

Instead, Cleary and Abdelkader are both playing on that line. Two similar players who shouldn't be getting that icetime.

While Nyquist is a little bit on the small size, I just don't understand why the Wings aren't giving him a more prominent role. Anyone who has watched him play in Grand Rapids can tell that he is by far the best player on that team. Granted I know its not the NHL, but I'm from Grand Rapids and have been to tons of Griffins games the past 2 years and he is always making plays, creating turnovers, scoring big goals, etc. He carried the line of him, tatar, and andersson on most nights...the reason Tatar and Andersson have been having their best years when in GR.

Now while I like Tatar and Andersson and what they bring to the Wings, it seems like Gus should be up instead. Only reason I can think of as to why they are keeping him in the minors is because of contract reasons. The Wings need all the cap space they can get and without Nyquist on the big club proving what he can do they wouldn't have any reason to have to pay him big bucks next year. They can easily sign him to a couple year deal worth a million or so instead. This is just my theory, but I have no other explanation as to why he isn't up and cleary and abby remain on the 2nd line instead of someone like him filling in with Dats.

Guest The Axe

Nyquist should be playing on Pavel's wing. If he can't fit into that role on the top 6, then we should trade him for a bag of beans.

Exactly. We have Gretzky reincarnated centering 2 guys who cant score on an empty net. If Gus cant beat out Abdelkader as a scoring line wing, then he's not as good as people think.

Instead, Cleary and Abdelkader are both playing on that line. Two similar players who shouldn't be getting that icetime.

I agree here.

I thought Nyquist was supposed to have a good shot of making the team this year? And yet he has only seen action in a handful of games with forwards falling by the wayside left and right.

Although he has picked it up recently, Cleary hadn't done a single thing for a large stretch and our bottom six wasn't scoring at all. And yet they still didn't call him up from Grand Rapids....?

So he goes from "good chance to make the club" to not being called up when the opportunity presented itself. Curious....

I agree here.

I thought Nyquist was supposed to have a good shot of making the team this year? And yet he has only seen action in a handful of games with forwards falling by the wayside left and right.

Although he has picked it up recently, Cleary hadn't done a single thing for a large stretch and our bottom six wasn't scoring at all. And yet they still didn't call him up from Grand Rapids....?

So he goes from "good chance to make the club" to not being called up when the opportunity presented itself. Curious....

I think Nyquist making the team hinged on having a full season with a training camp and exhibition games. They would've needed to move a forward (probably Emmerton or Mursak) in order to make room for Nyquist. Without a full camp and preseason, it made it difficult to gauge who should move.

Once the shortened season came around, depth was going to be important because of the injuries were being forecasted. Holland could keep Nyquist in GR and not have to risk losing any of his depth.

I don't see how everyone thinks Nyquist is going to turn the team around playing with Datsyuk. The guy had 1 goal in 22 NHL games coming into this season. I don't think he is going to be a big scorer at the NHL level. He's going to be a smaller version of Filppula.

I think Nyquist making the team hinged on having a full season with a training camp and exhibition games. They would've needed to move a forward (probably Emmerton or Mursak) in order to make room for Nyquist. Without a full camp and preseason, it made it difficult to gauge who should move.

Once the shortened season came around, depth was going to be important because of the injuries were being forecasted. Holland could keep Nyquist in GR and not have to risk losing any of his depth.

I don't see how everyone thinks Nyquist is going to turn the team around playing with Datsyuk. The guy had 1 goal in 22 NHL games coming into this season. I don't think he is going to be a big scorer at the NHL level. He's going to be a smaller version of Filppula.

Right, and I agree with your premise.

So my question is what are Holland and Babcock thinking with this kid? What is their plan? There just doesn't seem to be one.

As far as prospects go, I would think he is still one of the top players (in the minds of league GMs) not playing in the NHL right now. Our lineup is lacking enough to justify bringing him up, but that hasn't happened.

So my knee-jerk reaction is if you're not gonna play him, then trade him. But that is just frustration talking, fair or unfair.

If that's true, then our top prospect has essentially no upside.

But he's playing better now than ever. Doesn't matter what he's done previously in the NHL, playing on the bottom two lines for a few games.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'd like to see Gus do whatever Tatar did.

I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking Tatar was on his way out before the season started and then he showed up and started playing the way he has.

I figured that next season Andersson and Tatar would be the Kopecky and Hudler of 06/07 and Emmerton and Mursak of 11/12. Good players that seem like they have something to offer, but have run out of minor league options so lets keep them on the team and see what they can do by using them to fill spots here and there.

If that's true, then our top prospect has essentially no upside.

But he's playing better now than ever. Doesn't matter what he's done previously in the NHL, playing on the bottom two lines for a few games.

See: Tomas Tatar

He has thrived playing with guys who don't match up from a playing style perspective.

I'd like Gus to have the opportunity to play in a good stretch of games and build some continuity instead of seeing spot duty.

In 18 games, many of those on Pavel's wing, Nyquist scored exactly ONE goal. This guy is not an NHL caliber winger yet.

Also, Abby is on Pavel's wing because with all the injuries Babs wanted a big body on the top line to dig out pucks, drive the net, screen the goalie, and generally do what big bodied forwards do. He's not there to score a bunch of goals, he's there to make space for Pav.

Nyquist would do jack s*** on Pav's wing, if you want to see youth on his wing promote Tatar to that spot, he actually finds the back of the net once in a blue moon (at the NHL level).

In 18 games, many of those on Pavel's wing, Nyquist scored exactly ONE goal. This guy is not an NHL caliber winger yet.

Also, Abby is on Pavel's wing because with all the injuries Babs wanted a big body on the top line to dig out pucks, drive the net, screen the goalie, and generally do what big bodied forwards do. He's not there to score a bunch of goals, he's there to make space for Pav.

Nyquist would do jack s*** on Pav's wing, if you want to see youth on his wing promote Tatar to that spot, he actually finds the back of the net once in a blue moon (at the NHL level).

Datsyuk doesn't score a lot of goals. He's always been a pass first guy. Datsyuk, Nyquist and a big body, would be the ideal 2nd line.

Right, and I agree with your premise.

So my question is what are Holland and Babcock thinking with this kid? What is their plan? There just doesn't seem to be one.

As far as prospects go, I would think he is still one of the top players (in the minds of league GMs) not playing in the NHL right now. Our lineup is lacking enough to justify bringing him up, but that hasn't happened.

So my knee-jerk reaction is if you're not gonna play him, then trade him. But that is just frustration talking, fair or unfair.

I'm sure he's still in the teams future plans, he just hasn't been what the team has needed to fill spots opened by injuries. They needed scoring, so they called up Tatar, and they needed size so they recalled Andersson. I'm sure if the right spot opens up, they will recall Nyquist to fill it.

I'm sure he'll also have a chance to win a spot next season when the Wings get a real training camp. If he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be #1 on the call-up depth chart followed by Sheahan and Ferraro.

In my limited time observing Nyq, and with my even more limited evaluation skills, it seems to me that Tatar is much harder on the puck than Nyq.

And grittier.

That would be one reason Tatar is up now and Nyq is not.

Another reason could be that Holland & Co. feel like they know what they have in Nyq but needed to see Tatar in action at this level, thinking he could be effective, but wanting to see it. And IMO, has proven more effective due to his agressiveness after the puck.

All that babble being said, I do think Nyq could easily have scored the goals Cleary scored, and a few more that Cleary let go through his skates etc.

Babcock seems to want a good shut down line that also scores with Pavs line, and maybe is afraid Nyq wouldn't be shut down capable.

With your experience watching Nyq, do you think coul be an accurate assessment?

Guest The Axe

Datsyuk doesn't score a lot of goals. He's always been a pass first guy. Datsyuk, Nyquist and a big body, would be the ideal 2nd line.

Nash-Datsyuk-Gaborik

Ahhhhhhh my wrist!!! Ha ha ha ha

Nyquist is not a true goal scorer either. He's a converted center who had 600% as many assists as he did goals with the Wings last season. And the one he did score was gift wrapped from Pavel. I don't know how much you've seen him play, but if you think that Nyquist is going to be some kind of finisher with Pavel as the playmaker I'd recommend you check him out a little more, that's just not his game.

An "ideal" line based on our current roster would be Pavel, Brunner, and Franzen as they are the best player maker, shooter, and power forwards that we currently have signed.

Edited by kipwinger

In my limited time observing Nyq, and with my even more limited evaluation skills, it seems to me that Tatar is much harder on the puck than Nyq.

And grittier.

That would be one reason Tatar is up now and Nyq is not.

Another reason could be that Holland & Co. feel like they know what they have in Nyq but needed to see Tatar in action at this level, thinking he could be effective, but wanting to see it. And IMO, has proven more effective due to his agressiveness after the puck.

All that babble being said, I do think Nyq could easily have scored the goals Cleary scored, and a few more that Cleary let go through his skates etc.

Babcock seems to want a good shut down line that also scores with Pavs line, and maybe is afraid Nyq wouldn't be shut down capable.

With your experience watching Nyq, do you think coul be an accurate assessment?

That's a very good point too. Nyquist can still go to GR next season without hitting waivers, Tatar and Andersson can't. They might as well get the best look at them they can get this season before they leave them on the big club next season. That way they don't find out that they aren't NHL players AFTER they did not resign/traded/waived a better player to make room.

Anyone who has watched him play in Grand Rapids can tell that he is by far the best player on that team. Granted I know its not the NHL, but I'm from Grand Rapids and have been to tons of Griffins games the past 2 years and he is always making plays, creating turnovers, scoring big goals, etc. He carried the line of him, tatar, and andersson on most nights...the reason Tatar and Andersson have been having their best years when in GR.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'm not sure if he's ready for the NHL, but with people on this board divided on his abilities; I wish they could see how much better he is than other skaters on any given night in the AHL.

Edited by Travis