• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cr00d

Gus Nyquist...

Rate this topic

In my limited time observing Nyq, and with my even more limited evaluation skills, it seems to me that Tatar is much harder on the puck than Nyq.

And grittier.

That would be one reason Tatar is up now and Nyq is not.

Another reason could be that Holland & Co. feel like they know what they have in Nyq but needed to see Tatar in action at this level, thinking he could be effective, but wanting to see it. And IMO, has proven more effective due to his agressiveness after the puck.

All that babble being said, I do think Nyq could easily have scored the goals Cleary scored, and a few more that Cleary let go through his skates etc.

Babcock seems to want a good shut down line that also scores with Pavs line, and maybe is afraid Nyq wouldn't be shut down capable.

With your experience watching Nyq, do you think coul be an accurate assessment?

In my opinion, that alone is why Tatar is with the club right now.

He didn't have that in seasons past. He is a hound out there right now. Scrap to go along with his offensive skill.

Guest The Axe

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'm not sure if he's ready for the NHL, but with people on this board divided on his abilities; I wish they could see how much better he is than other skaters on any given night in the AHL.

We need a big sniper. Thats the peoblem. We need Selanne but have Nyquist.

Are we sure it has nothing to do with Nyquist primarily playing left wing and Tatar plays right wing. And the Wings have Bertuzzi, Franzen and Samuelsson out that are all right wings?

I know people play their off side quite a bit, but it might be a factor.

Nyquist is going to be really good, he's done nothing at the NHL level to impact his potential negatively.

Nyquist should be playing on Pavel's wing. If he can't fit into that role on the top 6, then we should trade him for a bag of beans.

Just because he can now? Screw the future let's shoehorn him in now! Typical short sighted fan demands-bring up our new toy now! Now now now!

Guest The Axe

Just because he can now? Screw the future let's shoehorn him in now! Typical short sighted fan demands-bring up our new toy now! Now now now!

Cleary and Abdelkader.

I'd like to see Gus do whatever Tatar did.

I don't know about you guys, but I was thinking Tatar was on his way out before the season started and then he showed up and started playing the way he has.

I'm all for this as well. Tatar in 2010-11 and Tatar in 2012-13 are two very different players. The guy could barely stay onside during his stint a couple years back.

In his 11 games with the team this year he's looked poised, fast and shown he's got a great set of hands. Even if Gus takes another year in GR (it's a real possibility), I'd be fine with it so long as he improves in the same way Tatar did.

In 18 games, many of those on Pavel's wing, Nyquist scored exactly ONE goal. This guy is not an NHL caliber winger yet.

Also, Abby is on Pavel's wing because with all the injuries Babs wanted a big body on the top line to dig out pucks, drive the net, screen the goalie, and generally do what big bodied forwards do. He's not there to score a bunch of goals, he's there to make space for Pav.

Nyquist would do jack s*** on Pav's wing, if you want to see youth on his wing promote Tatar to that spot, he actually finds the back of the net once in a blue moon (at the NHL level).

When Nyquist first came up last season, he had 7 points in 9 or 10 games and then Franzen floated back into the line up, literally floated, and Gus got buried on the 4th line with Emmerton and Homer and got 5-6 mins a night. If he at least got 3rd line mins then he could have got a few more points. He got garbage ice time when Franzen came back and was on the leftovers 4th line through playoffs as well. He produced when he was actually given a chance to do so, just like Tatar.

Nyquist should be playing on Pavel's wing. If he can't fit into that role on the top 6, then we should trade him for a bag of beans.

Instead, Cleary and Abdelkader are both playing on that line. Two similar players who shouldn't be getting that icetime.

You act like you can just put a bunch of skilled guys out there to build a team. You need balance of size, finesse, speed, grit, etc. to compete, especially in the west. Nyquist is good and has a future with the wings, but Datsyuk is better off with big bodies that create space.

Guest The Axe

You act like you can just put a bunch of skilled guys out there to build a team. You need balance of size, finesse, speed, grit, etc. to compete, especially in the west. Nyquist is good and has a future with the wings, but Datsyuk is better off with big bodies that create space.

You act like a GM who stockpiles 5'11" skilled Euros and overpays used, washed up bigger guys who dont use their size at all should not be held accountable for the team's decline and injury prone status.

With all the injuries the wings need to grind out games and Nyquist can't really do that. I would imagine if Flippula was injured Nyquist would replace him. Also him being able to be sent down next year gives him more options. This is Tatar and Anderssons last test and next year will be Nyquists

When Nyquist first came up last season, he had 7 points in 9 or 10 games and then Franzen floated back into the line up, literally floated, and Gus got buried on the 4th line with Emmerton and Homer and got 5-6 mins a night. If he at least got 3rd line mins then he could have got a few more points. He got garbage ice time when Franzen came back and was on the leftovers 4th line through playoffs as well. He produced when he was actually given a chance to do so, just like Tatar.

There you go, on Datsyuk's wing he had 7 points, only one of which was a goal. That's the point I was trying to make, that even on Datsyuk's wing Nyquist is not likely to score a bunch of goals because goal scoring is not his thing, playmaking is.

I wasn't trying to say that he isn't any good, I was just responding to GMR who suggested that Nyquist should be on Datsyuk's wing because Datsyuk doesn't score a lot of goals. My response: Neither does Nyquist. They're both pass first, playmakers.

For those people who don't think he should be called up now when we have a million injuries and a mediocre lineup, then when?

How old should he be before he's "good" enough to play for this incredibly elite team, which is threatening for the Presidents Trophy yearly?

You guys are unreal.

There you go, on Datsyuk's wing he had 7 points, only one of which was a goal. That's the point I was trying to make, that even on Datsyuk's wing Nyquist is not likely to score a bunch of goals because goal scoring is not his thing, playmaking is.

I wasn't trying to say that he isn't any good, I was just responding to GMR who suggested that Nyquist should be on Datsyuk's wing because Datsyuk doesn't score a lot of goals. My response: Neither does Nyquist. They're both pass first, playmakers.

Well, Cleary and Abdelkader both have the some role, so one of them is expendable on that line.

Guest The Axe

For those people who don't think he should be called up now when we have a million injuries and a mediocre lineup, then when?

How old should he be before he's "good" enough to play for this incredibly elite team, which is threatening for the Presidents Trophy yearly?

You guys are unreal.

Well, Cleary and Abdelkader both have the some role, so one of them is expendable on that line.

Nyquist is too small. End of story. Need size.

You guys are unreal.

Maybe it's more about him than it is our lineup. Maybe the front office sees something you don't. This is totally new toy syndrome. Because how often do we ever get a player from the AHL and think he could've been better if he were called up sooner? I can't think of any examples. Either the player comes up and is what we thought he'd be, or he's a disappointment in the way that time in the AHL had nothing to do with it.

You guys are unreal.

I agree, and that's why I think that Tatar should be with Datsyuk and either Cleary or Abby. Tatar likes to shoot, and has good finishing abilities.

Guest The Axe

Maybe it's more about him than it is our lineup. Maybe the front office sees something you don't. This is totally new toy syndrome. Because how often do we ever get a player from the AHL and think he could've been better if he were called up sooner? I can't think of any examples. Either the player comes up and is what we thought he'd be, or he's a disappointment in the way that time in the AHL had nothing to do with it.

Or he comes up, plays 71 games for us without creating any problems, plays every game the next year again with no problems, and everyone wants him to be let go. Stupidest homer fans I've ever seen sometimes. Don't get on our first 9 forwards for scoring 2 goals a game or the goalie for being Swiss cheese half the time. Blame the 4th line center playing 7 minutes a night.

Am I the only one who wants to see him on a line with Pavel and Tatar?

Abby and Cleary aren't the right combo. Not saying Nyquist and Tatar would be at this point but it would be a cool trial period at the very least.

Typical of the Wings though to let a player sit in the AHL after fans think he is ready to hit the big leagues.

Guest The Axe

Abby and Cleary aren't the right combo. Not saying Nyquist and Tatar would be at this point but it would be a cool trial period at the very least.

Typical of the Wings though to let a player sit in the AHL after fans think he is ready to hit the big leagues.

Yah. What is Samuelsson doing?

Trying to scratch and claw your way into a playoff spot is not the right time for a "trial period". When you're comfortably in the playoff mix and aren't getting the production you want out of one or two guys is when you should start getting experimental. Both Tatar and Nyquist will have good careers, but until Nyquist can center his own line, or find the back of the net consistently, I don't want him anywhere near our top six.

I think part of it is that this fanbase wants to see more young top talent. Tatar is definitely a start.

The Wings' fanbase wants to see a Jordan Eberle, or a Sean Couturier, etc.

We want to see impactful young guys. Obviously they aren't a dime-a-dozen, but we WANT!

I think part of it is that this fanbase wants to see more young top talent. Tatar is definitely a start.

The Wings' fanbase wants to see a Jordan Eberle, or a Sean Couturier, etc.

We want to see impactful young guys. Obviously they aren't a dime-a-dozen, but we WANT!

I agree. You'd think Brunner would be enough, but apparently we need to have two or three new, young, stars before people are happy. Honestly I'd rather be winning, regardless of who's playing. And to do that we're going to need veterans to get healthy, and an upgrade on the top defensive pairing. What we definitely don't need is another small(ish) playmaking forward.

Trying to scratch and claw your way into a playoff spot is not the right time for a "trial period". When you're comfortably in the playoff mix and aren't getting the production you want out of one or two guys is when you should start getting experimental. Both Tatar and Nyquist will have good careers, but until Nyquist can center his own line, or find the back of the net consistently, I don't want him anywhere near our top six.

I am with you. It isn't the proper time. I just get excited thinking about the possibility. The line would be missing a bigger guy though.

Sad part is once those two guys are in the lineup every game Dats will probably be gone.

I agree. You'd think Brunner would be enough, but apparently we need to have two or three new, young, stars before people are happy. Honestly I'd rather be winning, regardless of who's playing. And to do that we're going to need veterans to get healthy, and an upgrade on the top defensive pairing. What we definitely don't need is another small(ish) playmaking forward.

Winning is all that matters for sure.

And to your second point, absent of an acquisition, my hope is that once Smith gets back Ian White will move to the 3rd line where he belongs (i.e. where every other team that has had him in the past has played him at). But that is a different argument.