• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cr00d

Gus Nyquist...

Rate this topic

I think part of it is that this fanbase wants to see more young top talent. Tatar is definitely a start.

The Wings' fanbase wants to see a Jordan Eberle, or a Sean Couturier, etc.

We want to see impactful young guys. Obviously they aren't a dime-a-dozen, but we WANT!

lol

RABBLE RABBLE!

Guest Crymson

Nyquist will be up next season. One presumes that he will put effort into gaining muscle during the offseason.

Ide rather see Tatar and Nyquist with pav then cleary and abby.

Why? Because Tatar has more goals than Cleary while playing higher quality competition and Nyquist is the big bodied power guy that the line needs to dig the puck out of the corners, crash the net, and screen goalies?

I would like to see Nyquist produce even half of what he does in the AHL in the NHL. Tatar and Andersson have done way more than Nyquist in a lot less time.

Umm, Tatar has 7 points in 20 NHL games.

Nyquist has 7 points in 20 NHL games.

Now if you want to say Tatar has fit better, I'd agree, but to say Tatar has done way more in less time is just factual wrong.

Now if you want to say Tatar has fit better, I'd agree, but to say Tatar has done way more in less time is just factual wrong.

I wouldn't even bother with people claiming Nyquist has done nothing. They're trying to view the forest while standing an inch away from a tree.

I wouldn't even bother with people claiming Nyquist has done nothing. They're trying to view the forest while standing an inch away from a tree.

Where did I say he did nothing?. And my comment was not based just on point production. I based it on the impact being made on the game. Tatar has a knack for being in the spots where the puck finds him. Like Brunner has shown. Tatar hasn't had the luxury of playing with the top line as much as Nyquist did. There are plenty of times where Nyquist disappears where as Tatar seems to be making atleast a small impact on most shifts. Now this could change quickly and he has a dip in form like most rookies do but in my humble opinion Tatar has done 100% more with his chance in the NHL than Nyquist has.

Guest The Axe

Why? Because Tatar has more goals than Cleary while playing higher quality competition and Nyquist is the big bodied power guy that the line needs to dig the puck out of the corners, crash the net, and screen goalies?

One thing I'm not getting is why we have to dig pucks, crash nets, and screen goalies? Don't you like our 50 shots per goal / perimeter game? We do need a makeover with our mentality, but might as well play Nyquist over Cleary and Abdelkader at this point.

Another good thing about all these young guys getting exposure and doing well....better trade value. I know it would be hard to let any of them go at this point but we still need a top line defenseman and another sniper. Thoughts?

Where did I say he did nothing?. And my comment was not based just on point production. I based it on the impact being made on the game. Tatar has a knack for being in the spots where the puck finds him. Like Brunner has shown. Tatar hasn't had the luxury of playing with the top line as much as Nyquist did. There are plenty of times where Nyquist disappears where as Tatar seems to be making atleast a small impact on most shifts. Now this could change quickly and he has a dip in form like most rookies do but in my humble opinion Tatar has done 100% more with his chance in the NHL than Nyquist has.

Nyquist played on top lines last year? Are you sure?

Yeah, he had part of two games this season up there in the top 6. But are you really going to make a judgement on 2 games?

Nyquist is going to be a really good player, he's only had about 60 games of AHL hockey in our system compared to Tatar's 204 games, yet he's the one that got to call up last year.

They are both really good, and I look forward to seeing both in the top 6 for years to come. I just don't see how you can be negative about Nyquist, he's a play making winger, yet played 9:54 a game last season on the 4th line.

Nyquist played on top lines last year? Are you sure?

Yeah, he had part of two games this season up there in the top 6. But are you really going to make a judgement on 2 games?

Nyquist is going to be a really good player, he's only had about 60 games of AHL hockey in our system compared to Tatar's 204 games, yet he's the one that got to call up last year.

They are both really good, and I look forward to seeing both in the top 6 for years to come. I just don't see how you can be negative about Nyquist, he's a play making winger, yet played 9:54 a game last season on the 4th line.

A significant portion of his games last year where on a line with Datsyuk when either Franzen or Bert were out of the lineup.

A significant portion of his games last year where on a line with Datsyuk when either Franzen or Bert were out of the lineup.

6 games he played over 12 minutes, 2 games he played over 15 minutes, 9 games he played under 12 minutes.

Over half his games he was getting tootoo minutes of 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

Sorry but the majority of Nyquist's ice time was with Drew Miller and Abdelkader(4th most frequent even strength line combination last year),

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combos/index.php?season=2011&team=DET&strength=EV&playertype=F&gametype=1#A

Don't mean to try and call people out, but I like dealing in the real world where facts matter.

6 games he played over 12 minutes, 2 games he played over 15 minutes, 9 games he played under 12 minutes.

Sorry but the majority of Nyquist's ice time was with Drew Miller and Abdelkader(4th most frequent even strength line combination last year),

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combos/index.php?season=2011&team=DET&strength=EV&playertype=F&gametype=1#A

Don't mean to try and call people out, but I like dealing in the real world where facts matter.

Ok, he played with Miller and Abby more than Datyuk. However he still played with Dats, Z, and Franzen.

Tatar doesn't play with Zetterberg, Franzen, or Datsyuk AT ALL and is producing at a better rate. Gustav didn't, regardless of who his linemates were.

Edited by kipwinger

He didn't play on the powerplay last season, hence having fewer minutes. His frequent linemate, nonetheless, was Datsyuk.

He averaged 10:35 a game last season, only 2 more seconds than Chris Conner recieved, and less than 12 other forwards. if he played on the second unit he would get 3 more minutes a game which would put him at 13:35, or the average ice time, which isn't close to top 6 minutes.

He averaged 10:35 a game last season, only 2 more seconds than Chris Conner recieved, and less than 12 other forwards. if he played on the second unit he would get 3 more minutes a game which would put him at 13:35, or the average ice time, which isn't close to top 6 minutes.

I've amended my previous post as you're correct on the ice time. However, if you think that he didn't play on the top lines at all you're diluting yourself. He did. And he certainly did more than Tatar has to this point.

Edited by kipwinger

I've amended my previous post as you're correct on the ice time. However, if you think that he didn't play on the top lines at all you're diluting yourself. He did. And he certainly did more than Tatar has to this point.

Yeah, he did. And I'm not saying that Tatar isn't doing awesome right now. I'm just defending Nyquist, he's still extremely promising, and just because Tatar passed him up so far this year, says more to Tatar really doing well, than Nyquist not. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, he did. And I'm not saying that Tatar isn't doing awesome right now. I'm just defending Nyquist, he's still extremely promising, and just because Tatar passed him up so far this year, says more to Tatar really doing well, than Nyquist not. That's all I'm saying.

That's reasonable. I certainly don't want to make it seem like I don't think Nyquist is a talented player with a decent future. But if Tatar hasn't earned his way onto the top six with his play, I don't see how other people's call for bringing in Nyquist for that role are justified.

Your link covers only the last game of last season, Not the entire year,

Nyquist's most common linemates for the season were Bertuzzi and Datsyuk.

Link

Even this season Nyquist's most common line-mates have been Flip and Abdelkader or Flip and Franzen. He may not get much ice-time but he's had more support with him than Tatar.

Tatar definitely plays a more north/south hustle, go to the hard areas, etc. sort of game. Nyquist clearly has the more dazzling skill set, but I think as wings fans we've watched Pavel so long that we tend to want to see that razzle dazzle all the time, and we think it translates easily to the NHL game. It really doesn't. In almost every other instance the best offensive players in the league are the guys that play a simpler, more aggressive, direct sort of game.

Your link covers only the last game of last season, Not the entire year,

Nyquist's most common linemates for the season were Bertuzzi and Datsyuk.

Link

Even this season Nyquist's most common line-mates have been Flip and Abdelkader or Flip and Franzen. He may not get much ice-time but he's had more support with him than Tatar.

Good catch, thought that looked weird.

Either way both players are good, Tatar has really impressed so far. That's all I'm trying to get across.

Exactly..I would rather have Tatar and Andersson up right now, they have played their roles..Nyquist has not fit into any of the roles they have tried to put him in so far.

Last time I checked, didnt he only play like 2 games? This guy has been great, overachieved our expectations, and is clearly one of the most talented players not in the NHL. I personally find it hard to understand that after ripping up the AHL before the season started, and with the rash of injuries, that this kid hasnt played up here much more. He is older than Tatar and has outplayed him (although only slightly) and is clearly the more talented offensive and defensive player. I'm all for the the Wings development program but i think the proof is in the pudding this year, the kids are vastly outplaying the borderline veterans (who's names arent Maltby, Holmstrom, or Draper, so they dont need super special treatment). We are clearly in transition and Nyquist deserves a spot on the big club.

Bam! Factonista! Love it.

For me Nyquist just hasn't passed the eye test. Tatar has.

I can't understand that. Tatar looks like Hudler 2.0 (although I like him more). Nyquist looks like he has the upside Filppula, except better, more creative, and more consistent. Nyquist gives me hope that we could transition after Dats and Z leave. I think him and Jarnkrok are the future.

Edited by achildr1

There you go, on Datsyuk's wing he had 7 points, only one of which was a goal. That's the point I was trying to make, that even on Datsyuk's wing Nyquist is not likely to score a bunch of goals because goal scoring is not his thing, playmaking is.

I wasn't trying to say that he isn't any good, I was just responding to GMR who suggested that Nyquist should be on Datsyuk's wing because Datsyuk doesn't score a lot of goals. My response: Neither does Nyquist. They're both pass first, playmakers.

Nyquist has been working on shooting more since last year and has a much better balance now. Dats is also shooting more, and really if you add Tatar to that line then you have a guy that really likes to shoot. Nyquist is also good on the defensive end too so instead of signing spare parts this offseason aside from Tootoo, it would have been just as productive to have Gus on the 3rd line. I agree with your assessment that he's more of a playmaker, but at the same time, a playmaker with Gus and Dats' skill they could make some nasty passing plays.