• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Brunner Equals Clutch/Work on Signing *merged

Rate this topic

For a guy on the small side coming from the Swiss league, I'm personally shocked and impressed by how well his complete game has developed stateside. He still makes a rookie mistake here and there as far as assignments on a rush, but that will come in time. I love how he uses his speed to hound the puck carrier on the forecheck, forcing their hand. Last night alone he forced the Stars defense into coughing up the puck 2-3 times with numbers back and only Brunner and *gulp* Franzen back on the forecheck, even forcing an interference penalty (albeit a soft one). Then look at the goal he scored, doing the Holmer thing in front of the net, of all things. I don't think I've seen him shy away from the center of the ice in the ozone yet.

Overall, as someone who was on the "wait and see, don't get over excited" side with Brunner in the off-season, I think he's been great. The only thing I'd really like to see is for him to move more during the powerplay, provide an outlet when it's needed, and use that great shot from the point from time to time to create chances for his PP linemates. Sometimes he just skates to the goalline and waits or sits in the slot between the defensive box where he can't really get the puck or a shot off while the rest of the line passes around the perimeter. He has the right idea, but needs to move more, keep the defense moving, and give his teammates different looks.

Other than that minor adjustment, a coaching thing, the kid has really impressed me!

Really impressed with the deflection goal last night. Takes a lot of guts to go to the crease and make that play. I will agree with Shanahan above though, I'd really like Brunner to be attacking more on the power play. I think he's still getting used to being an equal partner on that unit, and so he's looking to pass or one time the puck. But how many times have you seen Dats or Zetterberg attacking the net, forcing the defense to respond, and then getting the puck to the open man, or putting it in the net when the defense fails to commit to them? Brunner has the skill to do that too. Hopefully that part of his games comes with a little more time.

Good play so far though. As others have said, a little bit to learn on the defensive end of things. But I agree that this part of his game will come too. Forwards aren't really required to play defense in most euro leagues...but that doesn't mean they can't.

I just watched a few interviews with him and while he already has wayyyy better english than pasha and homer combined, I can't help but wonder what happened to his bottom right teeth, it seems as though he is missing 2 or 3, wonder if he got em knocked out in a fight or by a puck. Also looks like his nose has been broken a few times lol

Here is the interview, it was after his shootout goal

Edited by Euro_Twins

He got awfully hit by a stick during the swiss playoff semi finals of 2011. Knocked out with several facial fractures and a leg injury. Also lost 3 teeth during the accident. Thats why his face looks asymmetric.

Guest The Axe

nzk2l2.jpg

[yes i know it's "Brooner" but whatever...write a letter if it bothers you]

Sub Zero!!

Guest Johnz96

Really impressed with the deflection goal last night. Takes a lot of guts to go to the crease and make that play. I will agree with Shanahan above though, I'd really like Brunner to be attacking more on the power play. I think he's still getting used to being an equal partner on that unit, and so he's looking to pass or one time the puck. But how many times have you seen Dats or Zetterberg attacking the net, forcing the defense to respond, and then getting the puck to the open man, or putting it in the net when the defense fails to commit to them? Brunner has the skill to do that too. Hopefully that part of his games comes with a little more time.

Good play so far though. As others have said, a little bit to learn on the defensive end of things. But I agree that this part of his game will come too. Forwards aren't really required to play defense in most euro leagues...but that doesn't mean they can't.

Brunler's been playing the point on the PP

Edited by Johnz96

He got awfully hit by a stick during the swiss playoff semi finals of 2011. Knocked out with several facial fractures and a leg injury. Also lost 3 teeth during the accident. Thats why his face looks asymmetric.

Here this pretty ugly scene from the 2011 Playoffs when Brunner broke his nose and lost some teeth ... autsch

Edit: and the other bas***d got only 2" + 2" for this ... any questions regarding the job some referees deliver in our league???

Edited by EVZFan

Here this pretty ugly scene from the 2011 Playoffs when Brunner broke his nose and lost some teeth ... autsch

Edit: and the other bas***d got only 2" + 2" for this ... any questions regarding the job some referees deliver in our league???

Ouch that IS brutal!

On a side note, we should probably try to re-sign him now for 2-3 years 2.5mil per year before he becomes wayyyyy more valuable and every team is after him

Brunner currently Top Ten in scoring in two different leagues; still 3rd in Swiss league even though he hasn't been there in a month and a half, and top ten in goals in the NHL. Not bad.

A nose for the net indeed.

Brunner currently Top Ten in scoring in two different leagues; still 3rd in Swiss league even though he hasn't been there in a month and a half, and top ten in goals in the NHL. Not bad.

A nose for the net indeed.

a big nose... for the net :P

I think its time for Kenny to start working on a new contract for the next few years. His contract is up after this year and it sure looks to me like he is the real deal. The way I look at it his value is going to do nothing but go up. What is everyone's thoughts?

I agree, I want him locked up for about 3 years. It gets a tad bit tricky just because we still don't know how he will pan out long term. Imagine if we gave Leino a big contract when he had his good start with the Wings. Not exactly comparable players, and I do think Brunner is better, but I can't help but think the brass will wait it out a little longer.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, his value will only go up.... particularly from the viewpoint of other teams. So yeah... the earlier he signs, the cheaper it'll be most likely, but with some risk.

I'd love 3 years at 3, but I could easily see him get a bit more than that. The Wings have a few guys they need to lock up... Howard, Nyquist, Smith, Brunner, probably Fil, and then a few decisions to make. The cap situation will be trickier this year than it has in quite a few.

No way his agent let's him sign a deal this early. He's not going to get paid as a top 4 goal scorer this early, but if he puts up a full season like this then he'll get paid more.

I'm sure Kenny wants to sign him now for cheap, but that's not how business works.