• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

If the biggest controversy about the Brunner signing is how to pronounce his name correctly, I'm OK with that.

#22 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Great kid his got a great future with us and i agree he works on the rest of his aspects his going to be a strong outlook for years to come

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

That does get close, indeed, but ain't an actual fit. If you say "Brunner" everything but the pronunciation of the "u" is actually very close to Swiss german. You have to pronounce it like the "oo" in "Brooner" but as short as the "u" in "Brunner" with more stressing remaining on the "nn". No idea if that helps^^

Nice!!! How about "24"? We can all say that!

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Agreed.  Not that I'm saying sign Brunner long term and dump Mule, but Franzen's playoff performance is getting misrepresented.  Three monster years isn't the same as consistent playoff performer.   He's had just as many mediocre to bad ones. 

Last year was Franzen's first bad playoff performance. In 2011, his ankle got busted in game two; in 2006, as a rookie, he had more points than the likes of Lidstrom and Shanahan; in 2007, he scored the series-winning OT goal against the Flames, and generally played an important defensive role while producing modestly on offense. And you'll note that these last two were before he really was given the chance to play as a scorer. 

I know you like to represent the guy as the second coming of Alexei Yashin, but that doesn't fit.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Last year was Franzen's first bad playoff performance. In 2011, his ankle got busted in game two; in 2006, as a rookie, he had more points than the likes of Lidstrom and Shanahan; in 2007, he scored the series-winning OT goal against the Flames, and generally played an important defensive role while producing modestly on offense. And you'll note that these last two were before he really was given the chance to play as a scorer. 

I know you like to represent the guy as the second coming of Alexei Yashin, but that doesn't fit.

That's hardly my representation of Mule, but keep taunting me, please.  

Honestly most of my criticism of Franzen is for lack of consistent effort, not production.  He's definitely a good value for his contract but it's frustrating when you see how he can play to watch him take shifts off.  

So let's deal with some stats and not your misrepresentation of my point.

5 GP 1 G 0 A 

8 GP 2 G 1 A 
12 GP 6 G 12 A 

23 GP 12 G 11 A

16 GP 13 G 5 A

18 GP  3 G 4 A

6 GP 1 G 2 A

I'd say 2008-2010 were great playoff years.  The last two were disappointments.  And the first two were average. 

If you read my post and the one I was responding to it was pretty clearly in the context of playoff scoring.   You can make all the excuses you want but his resume is a little short of what I would call a consistent playoff performer.  

That's not to say he sucks, or he's a playoff no show, or any other exaggeration you'd like to make.  It's just too small of a track record for what I would call a proven playoff performer. 

#26 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I agree with u on Franzen. Hes been banged up the last few playoff seasons. If he doesnt come around this one, though, we will have to question his durability. Its not like he throws his weight around.

#27 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

That's hardly my representation of Mule, but keep taunting me, please.  

Honestly most of my criticism of Franzen is for lack of consistent effort, not production.  He's definitely a good value for his contract but it's frustrating when you see how he can play to watch him take shifts off.  

So let's deal with some stats and not your misrepresentation of my point.

5 GP 1 G 0 A 

8 GP 2 G 1 A 
12 GP 6 G 12 A 

23 GP 12 G 11 A

16 GP 13 G 5 A

18 GP  3 G 4 A

6 GP 1 G 2 A

I'd say 2008-2010 were great playoff years.  The last two were disappointments.  And the first two were average. 

If you read my post and the one I was responding to it was pretty clearly in the context of playoff scoring.   You can make all the excuses you want but his resume is a little short of what I would call a consistent playoff performer.  

That's not to say he sucks, or he's a playoff no show, or any other exaggeration you'd like to make.  It's just too small of a track record for what I would call a proven playoff performer. 

I'm just curious, but what or who would you call a consistent playoff performer?  First of all, as Wings fans, we're spoiled because we make the playoffs every year.  Has Datsyuk or Zetterberg been a "consistent" playoff performer?  Yzerman?  Fedorov?  Each of them has had good playoff years and not so good.  Just having a hard time figuring out what your criteria is?  What would be a large sample size to you? 

#28 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Fedorov was the definition of consistent playoff performer.
  • Nev likes this

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

First of all, as Wings fans, we're spoiled because we make the playoffs every year.

O Good Lord.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Nice!!! How about "24"? We can all say that!

In that case, just call him Jack Bauer.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'm just curious, but what or who would you call a consistent playoff performer?  First of all, as Wings fans, we're spoiled because we make the playoffs every year.  Has Datsyuk or Zetterberg been a "consistent" playoff performer?  Yzerman?  Fedorov?  Each of them has had good playoff years and not so good.  Just having a hard time figuring out what your criteria is?  What would be a large sample size to you? 

It's somewhat about sample size, but with Franzen it's a peculiar case because those three years are so radically different than the ones around it.  That's what makes me think we'll know in a season or two more which was the real Franzen and which was an aberration.  

I'd call those players you mentioned consistent playoff performers.  If you look at Yzerman's numbers there's only a couple years you could even say were below good.  He managed a .944 playoff PPG over 196 games.  Zetterberg I would call a consistent playoff performer.  Dats had that inexplicably poor first few playoffs but has been consistent ever since.

And don't get me wrong, I'm far from saying Franzen is bad in the playoffs.  But in comparing him to other players it seemed like people were remember his beast playoffs and making it sounds as if he's done that every year.  That's all.

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Zetterberg without question. He has probably been the best playoff performer in the league since the lockout along with Briere.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Show some respect, it's AGENT Jack Bauer to us mere mortals.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#34 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I dont care how we say his name, in English or Swissish

I dont care if he needs to work the corners a bit more

I dont care if we call him Brooner...or Brunner...or Jack Bauer.

I DO care that we have a talented goal scorer that has generated a ton of excitement and who can finish. The guy will need time to get used to the smaller ice and the angles....but I'm willing to wait!!

Edited by Motown4013, 26 January 2013 - 10:38 PM.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#35 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Show some respect, it's AGENT Jack Bauer to us mere mortals.

True. I forgot that AGENT Jack Bauer named his cat Chuck Norris because Jack Bauer makes Chuck Norris seem like a p***y.

Back to Brunner - I'm very pleased with what I've seen thus far. Once he gets fully acclimated, look out.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#36 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

he's a beast

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I'll need a new assistant regional manager. My ideal choice? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable, fictional, and overqualified.

Edited by Crymson, 26 January 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#38 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Its Brew-knee-ay in the French parts of Switzerland where the Swissish they speak is a little more nasaly.

#39 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Best acquisition this season without a doubt.  He's like a little Datsyuk.  Since we led the way with picking up players from Sweden, now there are too many eyes/scouts there, all the Swedes are picked over ... onto the Swiss.  

#40 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

I assume everyone knows that Sutherland plays hockey and is a huge hockey fan, and actually named his character after his ice skates.  Just a fun fact...