• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Brunner Equals Clutch/Work on Signing *merged

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Last year was Franzen's first bad playoff performance. In 2011, his ankle got busted in game two; in 2006, as a rookie, he had more points than the likes of Lidstrom and Shanahan; in 2007, he scored the series-winning OT goal against the Flames, and generally played an important defensive role while producing modestly on offense. And you'll note that these last two were before he really was given the chance to play as a scorer.

I know you like to represent the guy as the second coming of Alexei Yashin, but that doesn't fit.

I agree with u on Franzen. Hes been banged up the last few playoff seasons. If he doesnt come around this one, though, we will have to question his durability. Its not like he throws his weight around.

Guest Playmaker

That's hardly my representation of Mule, but keep taunting me, please.

Honestly most of my criticism of Franzen is for lack of consistent effort, not production. He's definitely a good value for his contract but it's frustrating when you see how he can play to watch him take shifts off.

So let's deal with some stats and not your misrepresentation of my point.

5 GP 1 G 0 A

8 GP 2 G 1 A

12 GP 6 G 12 A

23 GP 12 G 11 A

16 GP 13 G 5 A

18 GP 3 G 4 A

6 GP 1 G 2 A

I'd say 2008-2010 were great playoff years. The last two were disappointments. And the first two were average.

If you read my post and the one I was responding to it was pretty clearly in the context of playoff scoring. You can make all the excuses you want but his resume is a little short of what I would call a consistent playoff performer.

That's not to say he sucks, or he's a playoff no show, or any other exaggeration you'd like to make. It's just too small of a track record for what I would call a proven playoff performer.

I'm just curious, but what or who would you call a consistent playoff performer? First of all, as Wings fans, we're spoiled because we make the playoffs every year. Has Datsyuk or Zetterberg been a "consistent" playoff performer? Yzerman? Fedorov? Each of them has had good playoff years and not so good. Just having a hard time figuring out what your criteria is? What would be a large sample size to you?

I'm just curious, but what or who would you call a consistent playoff performer? First of all, as Wings fans, we're spoiled because we make the playoffs every year. Has Datsyuk or Zetterberg been a "consistent" playoff performer? Yzerman? Fedorov? Each of them has had good playoff years and not so good. Just having a hard time figuring out what your criteria is? What would be a large sample size to you?

It's somewhat about sample size, but with Franzen it's a peculiar case because those three years are so radically different than the ones around it. That's what makes me think we'll know in a season or two more which was the real Franzen and which was an aberration.

I'd call those players you mentioned consistent playoff performers. If you look at Yzerman's numbers there's only a couple years you could even say were below good. He managed a .944 playoff PPG over 196 games. Zetterberg I would call a consistent playoff performer. Dats had that inexplicably poor first few playoffs but has been consistent ever since.

And don't get me wrong, I'm far from saying Franzen is bad in the playoffs. But in comparing him to other players it seemed like people were remember his beast playoffs and making it sounds as if he's done that every year. That's all.

Zetterberg without question. He has probably been the best playoff performer in the league since the lockout along with Briere.

I dont care how we say his name, in English or Swissish

I dont care if he needs to work the corners a bit more

I dont care if we call him Brooner...or Brunner...or Jack Bauer.

I DO care that we have a talented goal scorer that has generated a ton of excitement and who can finish. The guy will need time to get used to the smaller ice and the angles....but I'm willing to wait!!

Edited by Motown4013

Show some respect, it's AGENT Jack Bauer to us mere mortals.

True. I forgot that AGENT Jack Bauer named his cat Chuck Norris because Jack Bauer makes Chuck Norris seem like a p***y.

Back to Brunner - I'm very pleased with what I've seen thus far. Once he gets fully acclimated, look out.

Guest Crymson

I'll need a new assistant regional manager. My ideal choice? Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable, fictional, and overqualified.

Edited by Crymson

Guest The Axe

Its Brew-knee-ay in the French parts of Switzerland where the Swissish they speak is a little more nasaly.

Best acquisition this season without a doubt. He's like a little Datsyuk. Since we led the way with picking up players from Sweden, now there are too many eyes/scouts there, all the Swedes are picked over ... onto the Swiss.

I assume everyone knows that Sutherland plays hockey and is a huge hockey fan, and actually named his character after his ice skates. Just a fun fact...

But if course... that's why I floated it out there in the first place. He's done voice over work for the NHL as well, if I recall correctly.

When they did that season documentary on the Wings when Cujo was here, didn't Keifer Sutherland do the voice-over narration for it? I also seem to remember him being friendly with McCarty.

Guest The Axe

When they did that season documentary on the Wings when Cujo was here, didn't Keifer Sutherland do the voice-over narration for it? I also seem to remember him being friendly with McCarty.

Devereaux was his favourite player.

Yes Brunner can skate, has speed and can shoot. But and this is key. Once the league adjusts to him and starts to key on him, will he be able to handle the physical play? We don't know. Most Euros find some tuff sleading once they start getting knocked around. Hopefully he adjusts to the NA game and does well. We need some young talent to step up.

he's a beast

? Brunner?

I'm excited to have someone of his caliber on the Wings, no doubt. IMHO, a beast, however, is someone that strikes fear into the hearts of defending coaches and players, making them realize that all their defensive powers are useless against the beast. A beast is not someone they plan to just staple to the boards once they catch him. Sniper; yes. Demon; maybe. Beast; with all due respect, Sir, I'm not seeing it.

At best, it would be awesome if he develops into a more durable Gaborik, or a sort of Teemu.

I don't want to sound like a prick and disrespect you; It's a discussion board and I just couldn't let "Brunner" and "beast" go without discussing it.

Edit: Clarity, typos, used the wrong "their", yada yada

Edited by T.Low

Yes Brunner can skate, has speed and can shoot. But and this is key. Once the league adjusts to him and starts to key on him, will he be able to handle the physical play? We don't know. Most Euros find some tuff sleading once they start getting knocked around. Hopefully he adjusts to the NA game and does well. We need some young talent to step up.

Chicago was the first team that i've seen actually dedicate some work towards Brunner. They knew he was a new element and they knew that he is new to the ice size and what not. Last night you could see, they would box out majority of our players, but when Brunner had the puck, they immediately started to close the gap and play more body on body. They wanted to throw him off and not give him that space. What i'm personally amazed at, is how little space he needs to actually close off a shot. Zetterberg fed him within the slot, while damn near 3 hawks were on him, and yet he still got the shot off with 3 sticks within his space. He certainly doesn't want to play physical, nor is he expected, and you can see it's from playing in Europe. He'd rather skate off than finish a check. While all of this is great, this is exactly why we bring in players like tootoo. If people want to run your stars, you let them know real quickly it isn't going to be accepted. We just need some people willing to throw em down, make a huge hit, and let people know there WILL be repercussions.

Guest The Axe

? Brunner?

I'm excited to have someone of his caliber on the Wings, no doubt. IMHO, a beast, however, is someone that strikes fear into the hearts of defending coaches and players, making them realize that all their defensive powers are useless against the beast. A beast is not someone they plan to just staple to the boards once they catch him. Sniper; yes. Demon; maybe. Beast; with all due respect, Sir, I'm not seeing it.

At best, it would be awesome if he develops into a more durable Gaborik, or a sort of Teemu.

I don't want to sound like a prick and disrespect you; It's a discussion board and I just couldn't let "Brunner" and "beast" go without discussing it.

Edit: Clarity, typos, used the wrong "their", yada yada

Agreed. Perry is a beast. Brunner is a poor man's Danny Brier.