• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

I assume everyone knows that Sutherland plays hockey and is a huge hockey fan, and actually named his character after his ice skates.  Just a fun fact...

But if course... that's why I floated it out there in the first place. He's done voice over work for the NHL as well, if I recall correctly.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I assume everyone knows that Sutherland plays hockey and is a huge hockey fan, and actually named his character after his ice skates.  Just a fun fact...

He named his skates Jack?   :tounge:

#43 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

When they did that season documentary on the Wings when Cujo was here, didn't Keifer Sutherland do the voice-over narration for it? I also seem to remember him being friendly with McCarty.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#44 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

When they did that season documentary on the Wings when Cujo was here, didn't Keifer Sutherland do the voice-over narration for it? I also seem to remember him being friendly with McCarty.

Devereaux was his favourite player.

#45 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

This Kid has a lot of skill and potential, I can't wait to see what he can do as the season moves on!!

#46 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yes Brunner can skate, has speed and can shoot. But and this is key. Once the league adjusts to him and starts to key on him, will he be able to handle the physical play? We don't know. Most Euros find some tuff sleading once they start getting knocked around. Hopefully he adjusts to the NA game and does well. We need some young talent to step up.

#47 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I like this pick up.   While yes he could use some work on the Defensive side of the puck he will be something special IMO if he can keep improving.

#48 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

he's a beast

?  Brunner? 

I'm excited to have someone of his caliber on the Wings, no doubt. IMHO,  a beast, however, is someone that strikes fear into the hearts of defending coaches and players, making them realize that all their defensive powers are useless against the beast.  A beast is not someone they plan to just staple to the boards once they catch him.  Sniper; yes.  Demon; maybe.  Beast; with all due respect, Sir, I'm not seeing it.

At best, it would be awesome if he develops into a more durable Gaborik, or a sort of Teemu.

I don't want to sound like a prick and disrespect you; It's a discussion board and I just couldn't let "Brunner" and "beast" go without discussing it.

Edit: Clarity, typos, used the wrong "their",  yada yada

Edited by T.Low, 28 January 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#49 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes Brunner can skate, has speed and can shoot. But and this is key. Once the league adjusts to him and starts to key on him, will he be able to handle the physical play? We don't know. Most Euros find some tuff sleading once they start getting knocked around. Hopefully he adjusts to the NA game and does well. We need some young talent to step up.

Chicago was the first team that i've seen actually dedicate some work towards Brunner. They knew he was a new element and they knew that he is new to the ice size and what not. Last night you could see, they would box out majority of our players, but when Brunner had the puck, they immediately started to close the gap and play more body on body. They wanted to throw him off and not give him that space. What i'm personally amazed at, is how little space he needs to actually close off a shot. Zetterberg fed him within the slot, while damn near 3 hawks were on him, and yet he still got the shot off with 3 sticks within his space. He certainly doesn't want to play physical, nor is he expected, and you can see it's from playing in Europe. He'd rather skate off than finish a check. While all of this is great, this is exactly why we bring in players like tootoo. If people want to run your stars, you let them know real quickly it isn't going to be accepted. We just need some people willing to throw em down, make a huge hit, and let people know there WILL be repercussions.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#50 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

?  Brunner? 

I'm excited to have someone of his caliber on the Wings, no doubt. IMHO,  a beast, however, is someone that strikes fear into the hearts of defending coaches and players, making them realize that all their defensive powers are useless against the beast.  A beast is not someone they plan to just staple to the boards once they catch him.  Sniper; yes.  Demon; maybe.  Beast; with all due respect, Sir, I'm not seeing it.

At best, it would be awesome if he develops into a more durable Gaborik, or a sort of Teemu.

I don't want to sound like a prick and disrespect you; It's a discussion board and I just couldn't let "Brunner" and "beast" go without discussing it.

Edit: Clarity, typos, used the wrong "their",  yada yada

Agreed. Perry is a beast. Brunner is a poor man's Danny Brier.

#51 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Agreed. Perry is a beast. Brunner is a poor man's Danny Brier.

30+ goal scorer? I'll take it

#52 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Keep in mind that the Wings are really playing with house money on Brunner - gave up nothing to get him, and only a $1.35 mil cap hit in a one-year deal, and a year where we had cap room to spare.  He'll be 27 in March, so he's no kid.  He's a seasoned professional, and Babcock has shown that confidence in him by putting him on that left point of the PP unit from day one.

I just hope that the Wings' early PP issues don't get blamed on Brunner, who actually has looked pretty good on that unit.  He either doesn't have (or doesn't use) the huge slapshot from the point, but Sammy's shot from the point isn't great and I trust him far less with the puck.  That wrister that Brunner scored on Minnesota shows an example of what he can do, and he plays a shallow point, almost lurking off on the boards.  Even in his first few games, he's shown the confidence to walk that puck into the crease, and I don't see him getting bounced around much.  Heck, Datsyuk used to get routinely MURDERED along the boards when he was rookie, and now he's just as likely to throw a shoulder back.

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

People keep saying Brunner needs defence blah blah blah. He was not brought in to be a two way forward like Datsyuk, we have enough of those, he was brought in to be a straight up scorer, and that is what babs expects from him. Sure he could work on his defensive game a bit too, but he is still better defensively than Franzen, and works his tail off night in and night out, and thats all I want is for him to work hard and put some pucks in the net. So far so good.

#54 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

People keep saying Brunner needs defence blah blah blah. He was not brought in to be a two way forward like Datsyuk, we have enough of those, he was brought in to be a straight up scorer, and that is what babs expects from him. Sure he could work on his defensive game a bit too, but he is still better defensively than Franzen, and works his tail off night in and night out, and thats all I want is for him to work hard and put some pucks in the net. So far so good.

I don't think we have really any great two way forwards besides Dats and Zetterberg. And Z and Dats might be our only two way forwards the more I think about it. Yeah cause if you can only score it doesn't matter if you can play defense then? Brunner was brought here to put the puck in the net at a reasonable price without a doubt. Early yes still but would like too see him be better in our own zone. Last game at Chicago I thought he was better.

I do like how Brunner attacks the net. Not bad for a poor man's Briere lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 28 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I don't think we have really any great two way forwards besides Dats and Zetterberg. Yeah cause if you can only score it doesn't matter if you can play defense then? Brunner was brought here to put the puck in the net at a reasonable price without a doubt. Early yes still but would like too see him be better in our own zone. Last game at Chicago I thought he was better.

I do like how Brunner attacks the net. Not bad for a poor man's Briere lol

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Bert, Filppula, Helm, and most of our bottom 6 are pretty solid defensively (no one is playing great this season yet)

#56 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Bert, Filppula, Helm, and most of our bottom 6 are pretty solid defensively (no one is playing great this season yet)

Filppula maybe after last year. Bert, no. Helm (love him to death) but no. Our bottom six are pretty good defensively I agree. But the problem is they can't score.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 28 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#57 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Filppula maybe after last year. Bert, no. Helm (love him to death) but no. Our bottom six are pretty good defensively I agree. But the problem is they can't score.

Are you joking? Helm is our best penalty killer, and he is good defensively, maybe not top 10 in the league but certainly better than most

#58 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Are you joking? Helm is our best penalty killer, and he is good defensively, maybe not top 10 in the league but certainly better than most

Am I joking about what? Helm is our best bottom six guy and duh penalty killer too. Calling him a great two forward isn't really accurate. He can't finish. He's better defensively than offensively. Bert is the opposite. Hence when I quoted you, you said we have plenty of two way forwards on this team. I disagree with you on that. Opinion of course.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 28 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#59 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'd have to think he meant there is no "O" in "Helm", therefore can be seen as a one way forward; D only.

#60 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Am I joking about what? Helm is our best bottom six guy and duh penalty killer too. Calling him a great two forward isn't really accurate. He can't finish. He's better defensively than offensively. Bert is the opposite. Hence when I quoted you, you said we have plenty of two way forwards on this team. I disagree with you on that. Opinion of course.

I never said he was a 2 way forward, if you read my comment that you quoted the guys I mentioned I said were solid defensively, you said 2 way forward

EDIT: I think we are arguing the same point, I just saw you wrote our bottom 6 is good defensively but can't score lol, which was basically what I was saying too. Miller put up 14 goals last year, Eaves is good for 10-15 goals thats not bad for bottom 6 guys.

Edited by Euro_Twins, 28 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.