• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Hudler/Brunner

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

A+ to Holland for adding Brunner and subtracting Hudler? Seems like this swap turned out to be a gem.

Yes. Topic closed..

Haha really tho, I don't think you'll find anyone other than hudler who would disagree :P

Hudler has no one to blame other than himself in my opinion.

He seemed to figure the NHL out in the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons. Then he went to Russia and the rest is history....

Guest The Axe

Yes. Topic closed..

Haha really tho, I don't think you'll find anyone other than hudler who would disagree :P

I hear ya. I just this angle is a good way to look at it. I like Brunner a lot more than Hudler.

Guest Crymson

Brunner is much better. He's bigger, stronger, shoots better, is a vastly better skater, and is neither one-dimensional nor a huge liability on defense as Hudler was. Maybe Hudler is a better passer, but that's about it.

Brunner is much better. He's bigger, stronger, shoots better, is a vastly better skater, and is neither one-dimensional nor a huge liability on defense as Hudler was. Maybe Hudler is a better passer, but that's about it.

Nah. Brunner is awfully bad in the defense.

Apart from that, he's a really good sniper :yahoo:

Nah. Brunner is awfully bad in the defense.

Apart from that, he's a really good sniper :yahoo:

You got some rough reviews of Brunner, it seems like you almost don't like him! He's gotten better drastically since he first came into the league. From day one he's been improving which means he's willing to learn from the franchise. It's an outstanding show of character when you're 26 and not stuck in your ways, still willing to learn, and adapting to a new experience relatively flawlessly.

You got some rough reviews of Brunner, it seems like you almost don't like him! He's gotten better drastically since he first came into the league. From day one he's been improving which means he's willing to learn from the franchise. It's an outstanding show of character when you're 26 and not stuck in your ways, still willing to learn, and adapting to a new experience relatively flawlessly.

"Rough reviews"? Or "realistic"?

I've seen him play in the Swiss League. And I've seen every Wings game this season but two.

So he did get better throughout his games? I only partially agree. He's floating around a lot less, and shooting less. That's what makes him better now, compared to his first few games. He's still a sniper.

What hasn't changed? He's still a liability in the defense (currently, game-to-game, changing how big that liability it is).

As for "willing to learn at age 26": Brunner's got to surprise me here. AFAIK player's don't "learn" new behaviours at age 26 easily. For Brunner, this means he will never become any solid defensively, i.e. he will never effectively attack a player holding the puck, will never place an effective check in the offensive zone etc. He's too old to "learn" that, guys. His style is different. He's got his chance playing in the Swiss NLA by scoring terrific goals, and eventually they let him play with the best players on his line.

The outcome is Babcock, who lets him play with good working players (Z) also. Result: Brunner scores. But he's neither working hard for the team, nor solid defensively. Let's be realistic.

Btw, I hope Brunner scores 25+ this season.

Guest The Axe

I've seen him play in the Swiss League. And I've seen every Wings game this season but two.

So he did get better throughout his games? I only partially agree. He's floating around a lot less, and shooting less. That's what makes him better now, compared to his first few games. He's still a sniper.

What hasn't changed? He's still a liability in the defense (currently, game-to-game, changing how big that liability it is).

As for "willing to learn at age 26": Brunner's got to surprise me here. AFAIK player's don't "learn" new behaviours at age 26 easily. For Brunner, this means he will never become any solid defensively, i.e. he will never effectively attack a player holding the puck, will never place an effective check in the offensive zone etc. He's too old to "learn" that, guys. His style is different. He's got his chance playing in the Swiss NLA by scoring terrific goals, and eventually they let him play with the best players on his line.

The outcome is Babcock, who lets him play with good working players (Z) also. Result: Brunner scores. But he's neither working hard for the team, nor solid defensively. Let's be realistic.

Good analysis. I agree. I guess Im just content with finally seeing a Red Wing player who likes unloading the puck in the net more than possessing it.

Sure, he's a liability but to say he hasn't improved in that category is wrong. He may lose track of his man and cut in, but lately he has been doing better. I'm not saying he's perfect but there's a learning curve present, as slight as the trajectory may be. On the forecheck he has been getting pressured more lately, and has been handling it better. He attempts to "finish" his checks and be aggressive to force the play on defenders in their zone. He wasn't doing that when he first came here. So in my opinion, he isn't too old. He is improving and can continue to improve.

He's been in North America just over a month and a half. He's the leading scorer on the Wings. He's adapted to the North American game amid a frantic condensed season without the luxury of a full training camp. These are great achievements that most have said exceed expectations. I think it's unrealistic to expect that his game would be fully rounded amid these factors. At least give him time.

Oh, and don't understand how you could perceive him as not working hard for the team.

He's been in North America just over a month and a half. He's the leading scorer on the Wings. He's adapted to the North American game amid a frantic condensed season without the luxury of a full training camp. These are great achievements that most have said exceed expectations. I think it's unrealistic to expect that his game would be fully rounded amid these factors. At least give him time.

Oh, and don't understand how you could perceive him as not working hard for the team.

This.

I don't get it either, he works his a** off every shift he is on the ice, and he puts pucks in the net, some people are never happy though

Just saw a comment from him over at HFboards yesterday and had a good belly laugh reading everyone else commenting on his irrational love of Hudler over there as well. Some things clearly never change.

For a real good laugh go read pretty much anything posted in the general hockey discussion area. I've seen some of the stupidest comments in my entire hockey following life posted there.

And Brunner isn't a liability on defense. A liability is someone like Patrick Kane who sees the puck in his own end, the other team possessing it in good position, and decides to just skate away from Pavel Datsyuk for a hypothetical breakout pass. Or Ilya Kovalchuk when he would just do figure eights by the blue line/neutral zone looking for a pass for a breakaway or odd man rush. Brunner backchecks and actually tries. He's not making the best reads compared to the rest of our team (still by far the best group of defensive forwards in the game) but he's back there trying and I've seen a few good plays from him.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

For a real good laugh go read pretty much anything posted in the general hockey discussion area. I've seen some of the stupidest comments in my entire hockey following life posted there.

And Brunner isn't a liability on defense. A liability is someone like Patrick Kane who sees the puck in his own end, the other team possessing it in good position, and decides to just skate away from Pavel Datsyuk for a hypothetical breakout pass. Or Ilya Kovalchuk when he would just do figure eights by the blue line/neutral zone looking for a pass for a breakaway or odd man rush. Brunner backchecks and actually tries. He's not making the best reads compared to the rest of our team (still by far the best group of defensive forwards in the game) but he's back there trying and I've seen a few good plays from him.

it's because that we are so spoiled that people can't accept less then the best

Yeah, but does Brunner have his own internet meme?

hudler.jpg

Wrong GMs that get A+ on their report card aren't doomed at the end of the season like you have stated an obnoxious number of times. Your randomness of opinion knows no bounds.

Yes, Brunner appears to be a better fit here over Hudler...

Looking forward to the next one sentence new thread tomorrow. :bye1:

Guest Crymson

I'm so sorry that not every player can be perfect like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but you're just going to need to accept that not having the two-way skill of those players does not mean that a player sucks.