• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Stars trade Ryder to Habs for Cole

Rate this topic

Stars trade Ryder to Canadiens for Cole

Michael Ryder will again be a member of the Montreal Canadiens.

The Canadiens announced Tuesday they have re-acquired Ryder from the Dallas Stars in a trade for wingErik Cole. Montreal also will receive Dallas' third-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

8467545.jpg
medium.png
RIGHT WING - MTL
GOALS: 6 | ASST: 8 | PTS: 14

SOG: 42 | +/-: 4

Ryder, who turns 33 next month, had three assists in the Stars’ 5-4 loss to the Nashville Predators on Monday night. He has six goals and eight assists in 19 games this season, his second in Dallas.

Ryder spent four seasons in Montreal between 2003 and 2008. In 314 games with the Canadiens, he had 99 goals and 108 assists. Ryder signed as a free agent with the Boston Bruins in the summer of 2008 and spent three seasons playing for them. In 235 games, he had 63 goals and 64 assists.

After signing as a free agent with the Stars in 2011, Ryder found his scoring touch last season. He appeared in all 82 games and had 35 goals with 27 assists.

Cole, 34, signed as a free agent with Montreal in the summer of 2011 and scored 35 goals last season for the Canadiens. He added 26 assists and had 48 penalty minutes. He spent the first six seasons of his NHL career with the Carolina Hurricanes and was a member of the 2005-06 Stanley Cup champions.

In 721 NHL games, Cole has 222 goals and 235 assists.

From the speculation I've read it fills needs for both teams.

For Montreal:

-Salary dump of a player who has been struggling this season

-Get an upgrade on offense as a playoff rental

-Get a 3rd rd. pick as well

For Dallas:

-They wanted a forward that was harder to play against

Guest Crymson

Dallas got wrecked on this trade. Cole is wildly inconsistent and has a terrible contract.

Dallas got wrecked on this trade. Cole is wildly inconsistent and has a terrible contract.

I'll agree that his contract isn't that great, but he's not "wildly inconsistent". He's only ever missed 40 pts. twice in his career and has topped 50 in half of his seasons played.

Also, you might want to check their stat lines considering they've got almost identical production over their careers. If Cole is inconsistent then Ryder is too. They both have identical .63 points per game totals, both have two 60+ point seasons, each have three 50+ point seasons, Cole has one more 40 point season, Ryder has one more 30 goals season but Cole has one more 20+ goal season, and they've got got respectable plus/minus. The only thing differentiating them is that Cole has more goals and assists (19 goals and 28 more assists) but he's played one more season so it stands to reason.

Dallas may have got fleeced because they took on salary and lost a pick, but they didn't get fleeced because Cole is "inconsistent".

Edited by kipwinger

Dallas got robbed on this. Cole is terrible, he has 0 heart now after his whining about the lockout. He isn't even close to the play he was last year, and Hab fans started to turn on him. Ryder is unbelievable and I always wanted him on the Wings. He is a first shoot mentality and has one hell of a wrist shot.

I like Ryder and the Habs get a 3rd round pick too? Not robbery or anything but good for Montreal.

Oh I think it's a fleecing. Cole's been subpar this season and he's two years older than Ryder. The fact that Cole had a great season last year shouldn't mean that 3rd pick was deserved. I think the sacrifice of giving a performing player for an under-performing player with a stronger history is fair here as a straight-up swap.

So teams still do stupid trades from time to time, like they've always have and there's no reason why Kenny can't be on the right side of one someday.

I think another factor for Dallas in this deal, is that it gives them another forward going into next season. Before the trade, 5 of Dallas' top 9 forwards were headed for unrestricted free agency (Ryder, Morrow, Jagr, Roy and Nystrom). Of the 5, Morrow is probably the only sure thing to want to come back, especially if the Stars don't make the playoffs this season.

Because of this, expect Dallas to be big sellers at the deadline if they aren't in playoff position.

Edited by DSM