• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/27 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Kings 2

Rate this topic

Yup, and the Wings were outplaying them but there is this thing in hockey called bounces and a hot goalie. The Wings only scored one goal. I suppose the refs should step in and give the Wings automatic goals because they were outplaying the Kings after all. Sometimes, in a one game playoff, the team that is outplayed can pull out a win. That is what happened here.

Wings went 0-3 on the power play while the Kings went 1-5. I don't see a huge disparity there.

The Wings definitely didn't capitalize on the huge rebounds Bernier was knocking out left, right, and center last night. As shaky as the guy looked, he did keep the puck out, so mission accomplished.

As far as the officiating: The initial Abdelkader penalty to put them on the initial PP was a bit soft the way the defenseman put himself in the position and sold it heavy. The Ericsson trip penalty, while close to being a good hip check was earned with the stick between the legs and was legit. The Datsyuk "hook" to extend the first PP was extremely soft, and even looked like the Kings player felt stick and sold it big time. Either way, nothing comes from the sequence, but it does set up two soft penalties. Fast forward to the 2nd string of penalties, the one the ended up in the goal, the Quincey roughing was slightly earned, albeit probably also a bit of "manufactured drama" the league has become known for. The Datsyuk faceoff violation was legit, or at least as legit as such a stupid rule can be (its one thing to box out and use a free hand, its another to be in a pile with your hand on your stick and your glove touches the puck; Mickey Mouse crap).

The problem with officiating whenever it is a problem doesn't come down to how much a penalty is earned, but rather the consistency with which calls are made. A penalty in the first should be a penalty in the third, no matter what color the team is wearing. In the final 6 minutes or so last night there were easily 2 hook/trips equally/more egregious than the Abdelkader boarding or the Datsyuk hook from earlier, the high hit on Cleary was easily worse than the Quincey roughing, and the elbow cheapshot to the back of Smith's head away from the play was apparently there to troll us fans, because it was a great cherry on top of the sh** pie we all got to take a bite out of. While the Wings didn't convert on the 3 PP they did get (or the last 30 or so on the road), it was seeing lots of success and quality chances.

At the end of the day, the Wings did lose the game at even strength, the coaching staff continues to play players like Cleary and Abdelkader where they don't belong, and you could at least call them breaking through on their third 5-on-3 evens up the 'luck' from the Quincey goal in the first. However, to say that the officiating wasn't atrocious and inconsistent in the crucial moments of the game, or that the lack of late powerplays for the Wings didn't contribute to the loss is not accurate.

Very well put.

I don't think Datsyuk's was legit as it didn't look like he used his hand, but the others were legit calls taken individually. It's just the total lack of consistency throughout the game.

And to think the refs are doing it intentionally to manufacture drama for NBC is tinfoil hat stuff. Bad officiating is bad officiating.

I know they had to spend a ton of time killing penalties but when you're only goal is a fluke bounce off the back of a goalie's head, it's hard to win games. And the Kings game winner came on an awful play by Emmerton, completely letting Kopitar go free while also wiping out Ericsson.

As with the majority of our losses...we played well enough to win but ultimately lost due to missed opportunities.

Sure the penalites really jacked up our flow and had to zap energy and gas but Bernier looked lost and we tried to be cute rather than pepper him with pucks!

We played great, say what you want about the lines... We had every chance to win that game but didnt.

I hope if Babs ever grants LGR their line changes and wishes.... That said lines and changes put 4 goals on the board every game like most here say they they will.

The reffing was bad, but I thought LA was the better team last night for the last half of the game.

Would have been nice to get at least a point, but I don't think Detroit deserved two points here.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but were you watching the same game? The one where the wings dominated the whole time... The only reason it seemed as though the kings were better the second half was because they had 3 5 on 3's, but other then that the wings dominated. Even the NBC announcers thought so, as well as Mick and Ken. Simple fact is the kings took advantage of their chances in the third things didn't. we had a couple iffy calls against us, but the kings definitely got away with murder in that game.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but were you watching the same game? The one where the wings dominated the whole time... The only reason it seemed as though the kings were better the second half was because they had 3 5 on 3's, but other then that the wings dominated. Even the NBC announcers thought so, as well as Mick and Ken. Simple fact is the kings took advantage of their chances in the third things didn't. we had a couple iffy calls against us, but the kings definitely got away with murder in that game.

We dominated the first. The Kings had better even strength chances the rest of the game, I thought. I didn't see much pressure on Bernier even when LA wasn't on the powerplay.

Of course, the powerplay is where they ultimately won the game, so that cost us.

Watched the 2nd and 3rd periods this morning, and all I have to say is that the Wings couldn't capitalize on their power plays while the Kings were able to in the 3rd. ***** all you want about the reffing, but the Wings had their chances to score and couldn't bury them. The calls against the Wings in the 3rd were on the mark, but I see how some calls could have went the Wings way but didn't. The hit on Brendan Smith should have been penalized.

Its hard to win a game when you only score one goal.

I didn't see the game, but I had the same thought. The Wings lost because they didn't score. Even if the officiating was poor, LA only scored 2 goals which means we had the chance tp at least get to overtime. 1 goal almost never wins a game.

I didn't see the game, but I had the same thought. The Wings lost because they didn't score. Even if the officiating was poor, LA only scored 2 goals which means we had the chance tp at least get to overtime. 1 goal almost never wins a game.

Agreed, but they had two hits that should have been penalized, had we gotten a ppg we could have made it 2-1 instead of LA gaining momentum and making it 2-1

You really had to watch this game to appreciate the officiating. I was laughing hysterically by the end of the game.

Add in the ding dongs in the commentators role and it felt like a Seinfield episode!

I am surprised they didn't play the new scene music every time there was a puck drop...

This is what the game reminds me of now that you mention seinfeld lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaPplviA8o&feature=share&list=PL5C2F4176E1097B00

I started watching about half way through but what I noticed, and that many have not commented on this year is how bad the Wings are at the break out. Most of the first passes are in the feet or miss altogether. I saw repeated turnovers made between their own blue line and the Red line. While bad penalties are a part of the game, passing IS the game. If a NHL team cannot figure out how to pass the puck they are in more trouble then a few bad calls. From Kronwall on down the defense was awful.

I started watching about half way through but what I noticed, and that many have not commented on this year is how bad the Wings are at the break out. Most of the first passes are in the feet or miss altogether. I saw repeated turnovers made between their own blue line and the Red line. While bad penalties are a part of the game, passing IS the game. If a NHL team cannot figure out how to pass the puck they are in more trouble then a few bad calls. From Kronwall on down the defense was awful.

You don't come around these boards much do you? Thats a main topic around here is the lazy passes and breakouts

We would have won 1- or 2-0 if not for the last 5-on-3. It was a really solid road game, Kings didn't have many good chances all game. They got a lucky PP goal that deflated the Wings a bit. We could have scored more, and we almost did on our good PPs, and for example a post by Franzen, but with this kind of effort we will win a lot of games imo. Just bad luck mainly in terms of officiating led to this loss.

Both teams were sloppy last night. I don't see many good passes either way. No, you don't win when you score 1 G. No one is working the crease in front of the goalie. Abby tries, but he really isn't a power forward. At least he ahs the speed to keep up with datsyuk. Those 2 were waiting on Cleary all night long.

Both teams were sloppy last night. I don't see many good passes either way. No, you don't win when you score 1 G. No one is working the crease in front of the goalie. Abby tries, but he really isn't a power forward. At least he ahs the speed to keep up with datsyuk. Those 2 were waiting on Cleary all night long.

I agree on both waiting on Cleary, but I think Abdelkader has been the more useless one. At least the last two games before last night Cleary was screening the goaltender pretty well. The only time I see Abdelkader go to the goal he is immediately knocked down. They are both garbage and don't belong anywhere near His Pashaness, but Cleary looks much worse while contributing slightly more. Either way, Abdelkader has 1 assist, and Cleary has 7 points playing 20 minutes a night with one of the best ever; pathetic failed experiment that won't end.

Very well put.

I don't think Datsyuk's was legit as it didn't look like he used his hand, but the others were legit calls taken individually. It's just the total lack of consistency throughout the game.

And to think the refs are doing it intentionally to manufacture drama for NBC is tinfoil hat stuff. Bad officiating is bad officiating.

I know they had to spend a ton of time killing penalties but when you're only goal is a fluke bounce off the back of a goalie's head, it's hard to win games. And the Kings game winner came on an awful play by Emmerton, completely letting Kopitar go free while also wiping out Ericsson.

I really can't fault the refs on calls that look bad but we have the benefit of instant replay. As someone who officiates hockey, a lot of these calls are made in the moment. Mistakes are made in the course of every game. The issue here is that if the call goes for the Wings, everyone says we will take it. If a call goes against the Wings, everyone berates the refs no matter what the call it. It could be a clear cut and dry obstruction or interference call, and it would still be called "weak" or "horrible" by some people.

The only way to make the system better is by changing the system. There isn't a single referee out there that is going to call a perfect game on a consistent basis. So changing the system is the only option, and one the NHL has experimented with. Such as putting one ref on a chair in the scorers table that is elevated above the boards to watch the play. From that birdseye view, referee calls were much more consistent, but the NHL didn't make the change.

Even through all that, the fans will still be the most critical of the refs, especially for calls against their team.

Edited by Nightfall

I really can't fault the refs on calls that look bad but we have the benefit of instant replay. As someone who officiates hockey, a lot of these calls are made in the moment. Mistakes are made in the course of every game. The issue here is that if the call goes for the Wings, everyone says we will take it. If a call goes against the Wings, everyone berates the refs no matter what the call it. It could be a clear cut and dry obstruction or interference call, and it would still be called "weak" or "horrible" by some people.

The only way to make the system better is by changing the system. There isn't a single referee out there that is going to call a perfect game on a consistent basis. So changing the system is the only option, and one the NHL has experimented with. Such as putting one ref on a chair in the scorers table that is elevated above the boards to watch the play. From that birdseye view, referee calls were much more consistent, but the NHL didn't make the change.

Even through all that, the fans will still be the most critical of the refs, especially for calls against their team.

I know what you're saying. The Kings are my second favorite team so if the Wings are going to lose to anyone, it might as well be them in my book. So I was watching from a fairly balanced perspective. I see a lot of both teams games.

And I don't disagree really except for the only way being to change the system. Because under mostly the same conditions the quality of officiating has gone noticeably down the last few years. No one is really ever going to be happy with refs, but there used to be guys like McCreary who knew how to manage a game. The quality and competence of the officials seems to have gone down. Linesmen included. In all my years of watching hockey I can't remember noticing linesman in a negative way as much as I have the last couple seasons.

One of my biggest complaints about officiating, and what seemed to happen on the Datsyuk faceoff penalty, is when the ref 10 feet away is looking right at a play and doesn't call a penalty but the ref all the way out at center ice somehow thinks he has a better look at it and does make a call.

I know what you're saying. The Kings are my second favorite team so if the Wings are going to lose to anyone, it might as well be them in my book. So I was watching from a fairly balanced perspective. I see a lot of both teams games.

And I don't disagree really except for the only way being to change the system. Because under mostly the same conditions the quality of officiating has gone noticeably down the last few years. No one is really ever going to be happy with refs, but there used to be guys like McCreary who knew how to manage a game. The quality and competence of the officials seems to have gone down. Linesmen included. In all my years of watching hockey I can't remember noticing linesman in a negative way as much as I have the last couple seasons.

One of my biggest complaints about officiating, and what seemed to happen on the Datsyuk faceoff penalty, is when the ref 10 feet away is looking right at a play and doesn't call a penalty but the ref all the way out at center ice somehow thinks he has a better look at it and does make a call.

Man I miss having Bill as a ref. he was as good as it got. Frazer was really good as well. kept waiting for some player to skate by and mess up his hair......lol

You don't come around these boards much do you? Thats a main topic around here is the lazy passes and breakouts

lol no not that much but enough to know that its often overlooked by some that this is a big problem that effects the whole flow of the game for the Wings. I am just not convinced that "getting healthy" will make much difference at all.