• Please log in to reply
553 replies to this topic

#521 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

With everything we know about concussions, and an ex NFL lawsuit filed, I can't believe the NHL still allows head shots. Yes those 5 on 3's were bad, but my thing is the non head shot calls. I guess someone has to end up in a wheelchair, killed, or an ex NHL Players lawsuit has to be file before they take head shots serious.

I can't stand how the refs make calls based on the score. A penalty is a penalty, it doesn't matter what part of the game it's in. That's why an NHL game turns into the UFC at the end, because the players know things won't get called at that point in the game.

I keep hearing people say MLB is old fashioned, the NHL is worse.

This is the thing that pisses me off more than anything, and it's likely the #1 reason why every team aside from the Hawks has a thread about not holding leads.  When you are outplaying a team and should be killing them, the refs step in like they have af****** mandate and it's hard to keep watching a lot of the time.  Wings should have had a 5 on 3 in the last 10 minutes but instead the refs turned a blind eye and then called complete s*** against our boys.  One of the worst officiated games i've ever watched.

Dats works his magic to get it across the blue line and dish it to one of his linemates only to watch them dump it in the corner.  His talent is being wasted in the f***in corners.  Meanwhile Tatar lamenting with muckers on his line too, to the point where he tries to do it all himself.  Please Babcock, PUT TATAR ON DATSYUK'S LINE!!!

esteef

esteef

We've all been saying it.  Maybe it's time to write a strongly worded letter to Mr. Babcock.  Or perhaps give him a coffee so he wakes the f*** up.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#522 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

This is the thing that pisses me off more than anything, and it's likely the #1 reason why every team aside from the Hawks has a thread about not holding leads.  When you are outplaying a team and should be killing them, the refs step in like they have af****** mandate and it's hard to keep watching a lot of the time.  Wings should have had a 5 on 3 in the last 10 minutes but instead the refs turned a blind eye and then called complete s*** against our boys.  One of the worst officiated games i've ever watched.

We've all been saying it.  Maybe it's time to write a strongly worded letter to Mr. Babcock.  Or perhaps give him a coffee so he wakes the f*** up.

Send him a starbucks giftcard.

#523 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Watched the 2nd and 3rd periods this morning, and all I have to say is that the Wings couldn't capitalize on their power plays while the Kings were able to in the 3rd.  ***** all you want about the reffing, but the Wings had their chances to score and couldn't bury them.  The calls against the Wings in the 3rd were on the mark, but I see how some calls could have went the Wings way but didn't.  The hit on Brendan Smith should have been penalized.

Its hard to win a game when you only score one goal.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#524 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yup, and the Wings were outplaying them but there is this thing in hockey called bounces and a hot goalie.  The Wings only scored one goal.  I suppose the refs should step in and give the Wings automatic goals because they were outplaying the Kings after all.  Sometimes, in a one game playoff, the team that is outplayed can pull out a win.  That is what happened here.

Wings went 0-3 on the power play while the Kings went 1-5.  I don't see a huge disparity there.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#525 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yep, because everyone knows that coming back onto the ice after weeks nursing a sore hip flexor is extremely easy.

You make a valid point, except for one problem, there was no effort and that is nothing new. The guy looked like his usual disinterested self out there, and the plays he made over and over again (which I called out) were not the result of being rusty or not being up to speed, or not being at 100% physically, they were just laziness. I didn't expect him to light the world on fire by any means, and in a way, it should have been completely expected since that has been his game the past few seasons, injury or no. Every other player when returning to the lineup can at least show some effort, at least the amount required to make a play when you have the time and opportunity; its not like we're talking about a hobbled Yzerman struggling to do what his body is unable to do, we're talking about the basic effort any player could and should put forth in every game. If he was really so injured that he could barely skate or even look to pass before dumping and changing mid-shift then he shouldn't have been on the ice. That wasn't the case.

The fact remains: 1) he made lazy, sloppy plays all night, and 2) injury or no, Franzen and the string of penalties are what threw off the Z-Brunner combo last night (which is what my post was responding to).

#526 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yup, and the Wings were outplaying them but there is this thing in hockey called bounces and a hot goalie.  The Wings only scored one goal.  I suppose the refs should step in and give the Wings automatic goals because they were outplaying the Kings after all.  Sometimes, in a one game playoff, the team that is outplayed can pull out a win.  That is what happened here.

Wings went 0-3 on the power play while the Kings went 1-5.  I don't see a huge disparity there.

The Wings definitely didn't capitalize on the huge rebounds Bernier was knocking out left, right, and center last night. As shaky as the guy looked, he did keep the puck out, so mission accomplished.

As far as the officiating: The initial Abdelkader penalty to put them on the initial PP was a bit soft the way the defenseman put himself in the position and sold it heavy. The Ericsson trip penalty, while close to being a good hip check was earned with the stick between the legs and was legit. The Datsyuk "hook" to extend the first PP was extremely soft, and even looked like the Kings player felt stick and sold it big time. Either way, nothing comes from the sequence, but it does set up two soft penalties. Fast forward to the 2nd string of penalties, the one the ended up in the goal, the Quincey roughing was slightly earned, albeit probably also a bit of "manufactured drama" the league has become known for. The Datsyuk faceoff violation was legit, or at least as legit as such a stupid rule can be (its one thing to box out and use a free hand, its another to be in a pile with your hand on your stick and your glove touches the puck; Mickey Mouse crap).

The problem with officiating whenever it is a problem doesn't come down to how much a penalty is earned, but rather the consistency with which calls are made. A penalty in the first should be a penalty in the third, no matter what color the team is wearing. In the final 6 minutes or so last night there were easily 2 hook/trips equally/more egregious than the Abdelkader boarding or the Datsyuk hook from earlier, the high hit on Cleary was easily worse than the Quincey roughing, and the elbow cheapshot to the back of Smith's head away from the play was apparently there to troll us fans, because it was a great cherry on top of the sh** pie we all got to take a bite out of. While the Wings didn't convert on the 3 PP they did get (or the last 30 or so on the road), it was seeing lots of success and quality chances.

At the end of the day, the Wings did lose the game at even strength, the coaching staff continues to play players like Cleary and Abdelkader where they don't belong, and you could at least call them breaking through on their third 5-on-3 evens up the 'luck' from the Quincey goal in the first. However, to say that the officiating wasn't atrocious and inconsistent in the crucial moments of the game, or that the lack of late powerplays for the Wings didn't contribute to the loss is not accurate.

#527 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Very well put.  

I don't think Datsyuk's was legit as it didn't look like he used his hand, but the others were legit calls taken individually.  It's just the total lack of consistency throughout the game.  

And to think the refs are doing it intentionally to manufacture drama for NBC is tinfoil hat stuff.  Bad officiating is bad officiating. 

I know they had to spend a ton of time killing penalties but when you're only goal is a fluke bounce off the back of a goalie's head, it's hard to win games.   And the Kings game winner came on an awful play by Emmerton, completely letting Kopitar go free while also wiping out Ericsson. 

#528 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

The reffing was bad, but I thought LA was the better team last night for the last half of the game.  

Would have been nice to get at least a point, but I don't think Detroit deserved two points here.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#529 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

As with the majority of our losses...we played well enough to win but ultimately lost due to missed opportunities.

Sure the penalites really jacked up our flow and had to zap energy and gas but Bernier looked lost and we tried to be cute rather than pepper him with pucks!

We played great, say what you want about the lines... We had every chance to win that game but didnt.

I hope if Babs ever grants LGR their line changes and wishes.... That said lines and changes put 4 goals on the board every game like most here say they they will.

#530 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

And the Kings game winner came on an awful play by Emmerton, completely letting Kopitar go free while also wiping out Ericsson. 

And Kronwall was out @ the top of the circle  :confused: , No way he should be that high out chasing @ that point in the game.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#531 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

The reffing was bad, but I thought LA was the better team last night for the last half of the game.  

Would have been nice to get at least a point, but I don't think Detroit deserved two points here.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but were you watching the same game? The one where the wings dominated the whole time... The only reason it seemed as though the kings were better the second half was because they had 3 5 on 3's, but other then that the wings dominated. Even the NBC announcers thought so, as well as Mick and Ken. Simple fact is the kings took advantage of their chances in the third things didn't. we had a couple iffy calls against us, but the kings definitely got away with murder in that game.

#532 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but were you watching the same game? The one where the wings dominated the whole time... The only reason it seemed as though the kings were better the second half was because they had 3 5 on 3's, but other then that the wings dominated. Even the NBC announcers thought so, as well as Mick and Ken. Simple fact is the kings took advantage of their chances in the third things didn't. we had a couple iffy calls against us, but the kings definitely got away with murder in that game.

We dominated the first.  The Kings had better even strength chances the rest of the game, I thought.  I didn't see much pressure on Bernier even when LA wasn't on the powerplay.      

Of course, the powerplay is where they ultimately won the game, so that cost us.   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#533 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

here is a good article from mlive talking about the officiating, and what the wings thought of it.

#534 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Watched the 2nd and 3rd periods this morning, and all I have to say is that the Wings couldn't capitalize on their power plays while the Kings were able to in the 3rd.  ***** all you want about the reffing, but the Wings had their chances to score and couldn't bury them.  The calls against the Wings in the 3rd were on the mark, but I see how some calls could have went the Wings way but didn't.  The hit on Brendan Smith should have been penalized.

Its hard to win a game when you only score one goal.

I didn't see the game, but I had the same thought.  The Wings lost because they didn't score.  Even if the officiating was poor, LA only scored 2 goals which means we had the chance tp at least get to overtime.  1 goal almost never wins a game.

Do or do not. There is no try

#535 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

I didn't see the game, but I had the same thought.  The Wings lost because they didn't score.  Even if the officiating was poor, LA only scored 2 goals which means we had the chance tp at least get to overtime.  1 goal almost never wins a game.

Agreed, but they had two hits that should have been penalized, had we gotten a ppg we could have made it 2-1 instead of LA gaining momentum and making it 2-1

#536 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

You really had to watch this game to appreciate the officiating.  I was laughing hysterically by the end of the game.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#537 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

You really had to watch this game to appreciate the officiating.  I was laughing hysterically by the end of the game.

this.

#538 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

this.

Add in the ding dongs in the commentators role and it felt like a Seinfield episode!

#539 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Add in the ding dongs in the commentators role and it felt like a Seinfield episode!

I am surprised they didn't play the new scene music every time there was a puck drop...

This is what the game reminds me of now that you mention seinfeld lol

#540 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I started watching about half way through but what I noticed, and that many have not commented on this year is how bad the Wings are at the break out. Most of the first passes are in the feet or miss altogether. I saw repeated turnovers made between their own blue line and the Red line. While bad penalties are a part of the game, passing IS the game. If a NHL team cannot figure out how to pass the puck they are in more trouble then a few bad calls. From Kronwall on down the defense was awful.