• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ed Olczyk, professional broadcaster, professional idiot

Rate this topic

I got to admit, I don't fully understand hitting in hockey. They seem to act like it's their duty to take the hit instead of giving a preemptive hit instead. I letterred 3 yrs in high school football as a tailback and strong safety. As a running back, I'd often give the guy a preemptive hit a slpit second before he was going to hit me, and it often breaks the tackle because they weren't ready at that very moment.

So in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first. I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle. Why do I rarely if ever see this in the NHL?

And of course Olcyzk is right about the fact that it puts the hitter in a dangerous place when the hittee ducks a hit, but what the hell does he expect, the guy to just get himself get hit into the boards?

Edited by T.Low

Guest Johnz96

I got to admit, I don't fuly understand hitting in hockey. I letterred 3 yrs in high scho football as a tailback and strong safety, so in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first. I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle. Why do a I rarely see this in the NHL?

And of course Olcyzk is right about the fact that it puts the hitter in a dangerous place when the hittee ducks a hit, but what the hell does he expect, the guy to just get himself get hit?

You mean kinda like at the beginning of this?

Edited by Johnz96

I got in a bar fight and out of honor to 'the fight' i chose not to duck and I let the guy break two mugs over my head so he wouldnt hit his hand on the bar and hurt himself! I felt really good about it while I was in the hospital recovering....thats how it is when your married to the streets!

So in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first. I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle. Why do I rarely if ever see this in the NHL?

I always took the stance as a running back to run into any potential tacklers as hard as I possibly could. Always seemed to make them hesitant the next time I came barreling their way. I once ran into 4 guys and picked up the first....somehow my coach thought it was a good idea to make me nose guard after that. *shrug*

I always took the stance as a running back to run into any potential tacklers as hard as I possibly could. Always seemed to make them hesitant the next time I came barreling their way. I once ran into 4 guys and picked up the first....somehow my coach thought it was a good idea to make me nose guard after that. *shrug*

I did that too. The harder you hit, the less it hurts you and the more it hurts the other guy.

I did that too. The harder you hit, the less it hurts you and the more it hurts the other guy.

I dunno if anyone here is a cop, but a cop told me once that they teach you in the academy to slam on the gas and not the brake if your about to crash into someone else during a high speed chase. The guy/car moving faster tends to always "win"

I think next game Drive Emrick calls for the Wings, I'm going to count how many times he yells "drive".

NBC's NHL coverage is an absolute embarassment. Guys like Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury have no business being on TV or anywhere near the NHL.

CBC is worse, it's a government funded station, so they have huge man love for anything Canadian. After CBC's Wings-Oilers embarrassing coverage a month ago, I'm refusing to watch the Wings on CBC ever again. I'm not interested in hearing Canadian Government Propaganda during hockey games.

CBC is worse, it's a government funded station, so they have huge man love for anything Canadian. After CBC's Wings-Oilers embarrassing coverage a month ago, I'm refusing to watch the Wings on CBC ever again. I'm not interested in hearing Canadian Government Propaganda during hockey games.

Not to mention the old fart team is 4 plays behind what's going on, and the other team calls Vancouver games and is voiced by Hughston, who is your prototypical annoying homer who thinks Vancouver's s*** doesn't stink.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I find it unlikely that Olczyk would have said this if there weren't a Blackhawk involved. It is beyond me why he is allowed to do color commentary for games involving the Blackhawks, as that is a team that, as he has repeatedly demonstrated, he cannot remain unbiased in regards to. He cannot even stop himself from taking potshots at the Blackhawks' rivals (i.e. his comment that the Wings are cheaters) when those teams aren't playing the 'Hawks.

He's annoying and inept. Even the annoying and inept McGuire isn't quite that bad, because at least he makes stupid comments about every team equally.

It really is a joke that they let him do broadcasts when the hawks play. He works for Comcast SportsNet Chicago. It would be like Redmond broadcasting a game on national TV when the wings play. It's quite obvious that he is a giant homer for the Hawks. It was nice when Gary Thorne did it, he was not affiliated with any teams.

No problem with that play, in any aspect. Would most likely have been a clean hit and a little late, but ducking out of the way if you have a chance is a natural and understood reaction.

Ed is an idiot for pretty much saying, "Take a chance and get hurt yourself instead of possibly letting the person trying to hurt you get hurt."

No problem with that play, in any aspect. Would most likely have been a clean hit and a little late, but ducking out of the way if you have a chance is a natural and understood reaction.

Ed is an idiot for pretty much saying, "Take a chance and get hurt yourself instead of possibly letting the person trying to hurt you get hurt."

that part is stupid but if you are delivering a clean hit and unless you are coming in with a huge amount of force the person getting checked should always just take it.

What Ed should have said was: "Carcillo should be more careful when throwing a body check, he needs to pick his spots and pick them well because he has to know if someone sees him coming, they are going to try to get out of the way, which could result in Carcillo flying over Nail's shoulder and smacking his head or hurting his neck. And that's what could have happened here...."

The straw that broke it for me is when he said that Yakapov should get a penalty for ducking out of the way....what an idiot.

I'd like to see what he would do in that situation. I have a hard time believing that he would just stand there and allow himself to get creamed out of concern for the other guy's safety. Give me a break!! The only thing going through someone's mind in that situation is protecting themselves, and rightfully so.

He sounds like just another homer who's feeling butthurt because someone on his team wasn't able to land the big hit.

Seriously, saying the guy on the Oilers should be penalized for ducking to avoid a hit is like saying a guy who ducks to avoid a punch to the face in a bar fight should be arrested. Just think. The poor guy throwing the punch could throw out his shoulder, hit a solid object and break a few bones, or hit an innocent bystander. Oh my gawl!!

I wonder what he would say if Kane or Toews did the same thing Yakupov did?

I'm sure he wouldn't be saying that they should be penalized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q9MvaSHjeQ

Edzo, you should defend yourself, do you know how many people you could've hurt by falling down and not fighting Probie?

Probert fighting Olczyk is about the equivalent of Carcillo charging at Yakapov...Edzo the idiot.

edit: Don't know why the video doesn't show in the post, I used the link button...sorry...

Edited by LeftWinger