Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

I wonder what he thought about this?

#22 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

This is the only thing I've ever seen you post that I disagree with.  I like "...a DRIVE...".  Like the enthusiasm, especially after having to listen to Major Homers Greg Husum and John Shorty Shorthouse all the time.

I wish I could hit "ignore" on my Yamaha sound system for Olczk, though.

I guess maybe hate is a strong word, I do enjoy his enthusiasm to a certain agree. I guess I was just spoiled growing up hearing Gary Thorne call multiple big playoff games and 4 finals appearances for the Red Wings.

#23 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I think next game Drive Emrick calls for the Wings, I'm going to count how many times he yells "drive".

NBC's NHL coverage is an absolute embarassment. Guys like Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury have no business being on TV or anywhere near the NHL.

Not sure who is calling it, but the game is on NBCSN tonight.  I'm don't know why they are picking up the late game, but they are.

Edited by rrasco, 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I find it unlikely that Olczyk would have said this if there weren't a Blackhawk involved. It is beyond me why he is allowed to do color commentary for games involving the Blackhawks, as that is a team that, as he has repeatedly demonstrated, he cannot remain unbiased in regards to. He cannot even stop himself from taking potshots at the Blackhawks' rivals (i.e. his comment that the Wings are cheaters) when those teams aren't playing the 'Hawks.

He's annoying and inept. Even the annoying and inept McGuire isn't quite that bad, because at least he makes stupid comments about every team equally.

#25 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Embarrassing. Such a tool

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#26 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I got to admit, I don't fully understand hitting in hockey.  They seem to act like it's their duty to take the hit instead of giving a preemptive hit instead.  I letterred 3 yrs in high school football as a tailback and strong safety.  As a running back, I'd often give the guy a preemptive hit a slpit second before he was going to hit me, and it often breaks the tackle because they weren't ready at that very moment.

So in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first.  I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle.  Why do I rarely if ever see this in the NHL?

And of course Olcyzk is right about the fact that it puts the hitter in a dangerous place when the hittee ducks a hit, but what the hell does he expect, the guy to just get himself get hit into the boards?

Edited by T.Low, 27 February 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#27 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I got to admit, I don't fuly understand hitting in hockey.  I letterred 3 yrs in high scho football as a tailback and strong safety, so in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first.  I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle.  Why do a I rarely see this in the NHL?

And of course Olcyzk is right about the fact that it puts the hitter in a dangerous place when the hittee ducks a hit, but what the hell does he expect, the guy to just get himself get hit?

You mean kinda like at the beginning of this?

Edited by Johnz96, 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#28 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Did I miss something?  Aren't you supposed to avoid getting hit in like all sports?

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Oczyk* is lucky that he has a job.

He should take his vast knowledge of the game of hockey and find a coaching job.

Too soon?

*No guesses found.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

You mean kinda like at the beginning of this?

Zackly!  It happens once every few games.  Mostly it's guys jumping up into the boards to soften the blow.

#31 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I got in a bar fight and out of honor to 'the fight' i chose not to duck and I let the guy break two mugs over my head so he wouldnt hit his hand on the bar and hurt himself! I felt really good about it while I was in the hospital recovering....thats how it is when your married to the streets!

#32 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

He drives me nuts. Subtle interference calls the Wings are so good at, how great the Hawks are, and the rest. But the best is when he talks about when he was the coach of the Pens and how great they were under him. Shine on you crazy diamond.

"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#33 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

So in my beer league, when a player comes to hit me I simply drop my shoulder lower than his and let him have it first.  I always win, usually with guys going ass over tea kettle.  Why do I rarely if ever see this in the NHL?

I always took the stance as a running back to run into any potential tacklers as hard as I possibly could.  Always seemed to make them hesitant the next time I came barreling their way.  I once ran into 4 guys and picked up the first....somehow my coach thought it was a good idea to make me nose guard after that. *shrug*

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#34 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I always took the stance as a running back to run into any potential tacklers as hard as I possibly could.  Always seemed to make them hesitant the next time I came barreling their way.  I once ran into 4 guys and picked up the first....somehow my coach thought it was a good idea to make me nose guard after that. *shrug*

I did that too. The harder you hit, the less it hurts you and the more it hurts the other guy.

#35 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I like "Doc."

"Eddie," not so much.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#36 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I did that too. The harder you hit, the less it hurts you and the more it hurts the other guy.

I dunno if anyone here is a cop, but a cop told me once that they teach you in the academy to slam on the gas and not the brake if your about to crash into someone else during a high speed chase. The guy/car moving faster tends to always "win"

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think next game Drive Emrick calls for the Wings, I'm going to count how many times he yells "drive".

NBC's NHL coverage is an absolute embarassment. Guys like Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury have no business being on TV or anywhere near the NHL.

CBC is worse, it's a government funded station, so they have huge man love for anything Canadian. After CBC's Wings-Oilers embarrassing coverage a month ago, I'm refusing to watch the Wings on CBC ever again. I'm not interested in hearing Canadian Government Propaganda during hockey games.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

CBC is worse, it's a government funded station, so they have huge man love for anything Canadian. After CBC's Wings-Oilers embarrassing coverage a month ago, I'm refusing to watch the Wings on CBC ever again. I'm not interested in hearing Canadian Government Propaganda during hockey games.

Not to mention the old fart team is 4 plays behind what's going on, and the other team calls Vancouver games and is voiced by Hughston, who is your prototypical annoying homer who thinks Vancouver's s*** doesn't stink.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 27 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#39 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I find it unlikely that Olczyk would have said this if there weren't a Blackhawk involved. It is beyond me why he is allowed to do color commentary for games involving the Blackhawks, as that is a team that, as he has repeatedly demonstrated, he cannot remain unbiased in regards to. He cannot even stop himself from taking potshots at the Blackhawks' rivals (i.e. his comment that the Wings are cheaters) when those teams aren't playing the 'Hawks.

He's annoying and inept. Even the annoying and inept McGuire isn't quite that bad, because at least he makes stupid comments about every team equally.

It really is a joke that they let him do broadcasts when the hawks play. He works for Comcast SportsNet Chicago. It would be like Redmond broadcasting a game on national TV when the wings play. It's quite obvious that he is a giant homer for the Hawks. It was nice when Gary Thorne did it, he was not affiliated with any teams.

#40 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Olczyk is an idiot but he is right here, just take the hit, I had a shoulder injury once when a guy ducked one of my hits. It was a cheaper play than the hit I would have delivered.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter