• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

2014 Salary Cap and overpayment projections

Rate this topic

With all the recent talk about going after UFA's this summer and the $$$ amounts that are being thrown around here, it got me thinking about the worth of players as a dollar amount and how the cap going down will affect the money players get moving forward as UFA's with a 50/50 split instead of the 57% they've been used to since the cap came in.

The shortened NHL season has the cap at 60 million, can spend to a pro-rated 70.2 million. However, it doesn't state that teams can spend pro-rated amounts next season and the cap will be 64.3 million. With a lot of UFA's coming up this summer, Holland can try and get a couple good players, but the days of handing out 7.5 mil for Parise/Suter types are probably over for now. Guys stating that Perry and Getzlaf or even Semin should get signed for 8 million per year better take a good look at the upcoming cap and consider the fact that it's revenue based on when/if the cap goes up. The lockout screwed the momentum and while most of us fans came back, a lot didn't. Cap management will be difficult for the next few years for GM's and they won't be able to throw monster offers at guys or they won't have any depth whatsoever (see the Wild) and they won't have enough roster players.

We can all to capgeek, but Wikipedia also gives some good information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap. Realistically, if the NHL wants to limit the crazy overpayments to players, it starts with the GM's and keeping guys like Perry and Getzlaf under 7 million cause the cap likely won't be anywhere near 70 million in the near future. Don't be surprised to see Perry sign for 6.7ish and Getzlaf at about 5.8. The lower cap, GM's can't afford to be idiots with their money like the Wild's GM and winners like Garth Snow.

The cap being lowered ultimately dropped the value of each player by 10% regarding their cap hit.

I don't believe the days of overpayments are over. There are only a handful of teams going into next season that will be in a cap crunch. Depending on how they finish the season and if they hit the market or not, Getzlaf, Perry, Semin, Iginla and Backstrom will probably all see offers well over $7mil a season.

The only thing the NHL wanted to eliminate was the crazy front loaded deals that go till guys turn 42-44.

Edited by DSM

It's gonna be funny to see who Minnesota doesn't re-sign or buys out...as of right now they have $11.6M available next season, with a few guys to re-sign. Most importantly being Backstrom and Clutterbuck...Not unless these guys take the "hometown" deals, which they very well could, they will be up against the cap...it will be tight for them!

It's gonna be funny to see who Minnesota doesn't re-sign or buys out...as of right now they have $11.6M available next season, with a few guys to re-sign. Most importantly being Backstrom and Clutterbuck...Not unless these guys take the "hometown" deals, which they very well could, they will be up against the cap...it will be tight for them!

They should have no problem re-signing Backstrom and Clutterbuck. Most of the other guys that need to be re-signed won't be too expensive. Cullen is the only one that would be a problem, and they might have to let him walk. Bouchard on the other hand, is probably playing his last season in Minnesota. He might make a cheap reclamation project for another team next season. If Heatley continues to put up sub par numbers this season, I can see them trying to move his last year some how.

Edited by DSM

...Don't be surprised to see Perry sign for 6.7ish and Getzlaf at about 5.8. The lower cap, GM's can't afford to be idiots with their money like the Wild's GM and winners like Garth Snow.

The cap being lowered ultimately dropped the value of each player by 10% regarding their cap hit.

I would be pretty surprised if they signed that low on the open market. I think you greatly underestimate the potential idiocy of GMs.

There are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space. 25 teams with $10M+ and 18 with $15M+. While those teams do have to sign several players, many of them will be cheap players filling out the bottom of the roster. Then you have amnesty buyouts possibly creating even more space. There will be a few teams sitting on a big pile of cap space looking to make a headline signing.

Players don't care about cap hits, they care about actual salary. They care about term, which is now limited. Parise is making $71M his first seven seasons, with big bonuses early, and has the security of another $27M for the last six years. Perry and Getzlaf won't get the security, and they'll be 35 at that time, so I wouldn't think they'd be very eager to give up the big paychecks now.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see a $10M cap hit for either one, especially if a lot of the second tier players sign before the UFA period opens.

Guest The Axe

I completely DISagree with you, ZWD.

I think the days of STUPID GM'ing where you hand out multi-year/multi-million dollar contracts to OLD players is over. Perry will get 8 million. You can count on that. Not every GM is going to look to spread their cap money out equally. That's why the Wings are in a big mess right now. They have too many average players making average NHL money. Holland is looking to give guys golden parachutes instead of letting them spend their non-useful years in the minors or elsewhere. We need to look at things like this:

End of this year:

Buy out Bertuzzi.

Buy out Samuelsson.

Let Cleary Go.

Let White Go.

Let Howard Go.

Let Miller Go.

Sign Huskins (1 year, 1 mil).

Sign Tatar (3 years, 1 mil per).

Sign Mrazek (3 years, 1.5 mil per).

Sign Kindl (3 years, 1.5 mil per).

Sign Smith (3 years, 1.5 mil per).

Sing Brunner (3 years, 2 mil per).

Sign Filppula (7 years, 4 mil per).

Sign Datsyuk extension/restructure (7 years, 6 mil per).

Sign Perry (7 years, 8 mil per).

2013 roster:

Franzen (4) - Zetterberg (6) - Brunner (2)

Perry (8) - Datsyuk (6) - Tatar (1)

Filppula (4) - Helm (2) - Andersson (1)

Abdlekader (2) - Emmerton (1) - Tootoo (2)

Eaves (1)

Kronwall (5) - Ericsson (3)

Quincey (4) - Smith (1.5)

Kindl (1.5) - Lashoff (1)

Colo (2.5) - Huskins (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

Gustavsson (1.5)

Payroll - 62.5 mil.

End of Next Year:

Let Eaves Go.

Let Colo Go.

Let Huskins Go.

Let Gustavson Go.

Sign Sproul (3 years, .75 mil per).

Sign Ouelette (3 years, .75 mil per).

Sign McCollum (3 years, .75 mil per).

Sign Nyquist (3 years, 1 mil per).

Sign Emmerton (3 years, 1 mil per).

2014 Roster:

Abdelkader (2) - Emmerton (1) - Tootoo (2)

Nyquist (1)

Sproul (.75) - Ouelette (.75)

Mrazek (1.5)

McCollum (.75)

Payroll = 59.75 mil.

I should be the GM. Ken Holland is a bozo.

I think the days of STUPID GM'ing where you hand out multi-year/multi-million dollar contracts to OLD players is over. Perry will get 8 million. You can count on that. Not every GM is going to look to spread their cap money out equally. That's why the Wings are in a big mess right now. They have too many average players making average NHL money. Holland is looking to give guys golden parachutes instead of letting them spend their non-useful years in the minors or elsewhere. We need to look at things like this:

End of this year:

Buy out Bertuzzi.

Buy out Samuelsson.

Let Cleary Go.

Let White Go.

Let Howard Go.

Let Miller Go.

2013 roster:

Eaves (1)

Colo (2.5) - Huskins (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

Gustavsson (1.5)

Payroll - 62.5 mil.

End of Next Year:

Let Eaves Go.

Let Colo Go.

Let Huskins Go.

Let Gustavson Go.

2014 Roster:

Nyquist (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

McCollum (.75)

Payroll = 59.75 mil.

Funny joke..... right?

Your 2014 team is worse than the current team. I don't even think NHL13 would let you ice that team....

Do you even know anything about Thomas McCollum?

What happened to the dislike button?

Edited by DSM

Guest DeGraa55

End of this year:

Buy out Bertuzzi.

Buy out Samuelsson.

Let Cleary Go.

Let White Go.

Let Howard Go.

Let Miller Go.

2013 roster:

Eaves (1)

Colo (2.5) - Huskins (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

Gustavsson (1.5)

Payroll - 62.5 mil.

End of Next Year:

Let Eaves Go.

Let Colo Go.

Let Huskins Go.

Let Gustavson Go.

2014 Roster:

Nyquist (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

McCollum (.75)

Payroll = 59.75 mil.

Glad you are not the gm. Your numbers are off. And letting Howard walk? Pure stupidity.

Also you think Brunner only wants 2m?

Dude, none of these things can happen. Tatar and Datsyuk are already signed through 2014 and Mrazek is signed through 2015. You cannot re-sign a player until the final year of his contract. That new contract does not start until the season after the current contract expires. There is no restructuring, either. A deal is a deal until the end unless the player is bought out.

End of this year:

Buy out Bertuzzi.

Buy out Samuelsson.

Let Cleary Go.

Let White Go.

Let Howard Go.

Let Miller Go.

2013 roster:

Eaves (1)

Colo (2.5) - Huskins (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

Gustavsson (1.5)

Payroll - 62.5 mil.

End of Next Year:

Let Eaves Go.

Let Colo Go.

Let Huskins Go.

Let Gustavson Go.

2014 Roster:

Nyquist (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

McCollum (.75)

Payroll = 59.75 mil.

No, Just No

I like the Perry signing though

Dude, none of these things can happen. Tatar and Datsyuk are already signed through 2014 and Mrazek is signed through 2015. You cannot re-sign a player until the final year of his contract. That new contract does not start until the season after the current contract expires. There is no restructuring, either. A deal is a deal until the end unless the player is bought out.

People love undervaluing our guys and overvaluing potential UFA's. They seem to think that our guys are here and will take more of a hometown discount to pave room for a massive handcuff signing. People dislike Franzen's signing enough, imagine if Perry was making 8 mil here putting up not even a point per game.

Guest The Axe

People love undervaluing our guys and overvaluing potential UFA's. They seem to think that our guys are here and will take more of a hometown discount to pave room for a massive handcuff signing. People dislike Franzen's signing enough, imagine if Perry was making 8 mil here putting up not even a point per game.

I gave everyone raises! Thats the best part. Dats was the only guy that went down annually. So give him 7 if thats what makes the difference.

End of this year:

Buy out Bertuzzi.

Buy out Samuelsson.

Let Cleary Go.

Let White Go.

Let Howard Go.

Let Miller Go.

2013 roster:

Eaves (1)

Colo (2.5) - Huskins (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

Gustavsson (1.5)

Payroll - 62.5 mil.

End of Next Year:

Let Eaves Go.

Let Colo Go.

Let Huskins Go.

Let Gustavson Go.

2014 Roster:

Nyquist (1)

Mrazek (1.5)

McCollum (.75)

Payroll = 59.75 mil.

You have to be blue Adams. Have to be

I gave everyone raises! Thats the best part. Dats was the only guy that went down annually. So give him 7 if thats what makes the difference.

Sproul and Ouellet are going to be .9 mil each, Brunner will get probably 3.5-4, Tatar will get likely 2 mil as will Nyquist, Flip will likely get Franzen's cap hit of 3.8, Howard isn't going anywhere and McCollum is Bryzgalov's left nut. Perry and Getzlaf if they don't re-sign with the Ducks will get huge offers from some teams, but not necessarily teams they want to play for. If the Wings offer them 6.5 or 7 mil per, that would be a better option than 14 from the Islanders. Lots of higher end teams don't have the space for any of the big names and they likely don't want to go places like NYI, Jackets, Flames and such crappy teams.

Sproul and Ouellet are going to be .9 mil each, Brunner will get probably 3.5-4, Tatar will get likely 2 mil as will Nyquist, Flip will likely get Franzen's cap hit of 3.8, Howard isn't going anywhere and McCollum is Bryzgalov's left nut. Perry and Getzlaf if they don't re-sign with the Ducks will get huge offers from some teams, but not necessarily teams they want to play for. If the Wings offer them 6.5 or 7 mil per, that would be a better option than 14 from the Islanders. Lots of higher end teams don't have the space for any of the big names and they likely don't want to go places like NYI, Jackets, Flames and such crappy teams.

and that's being nice...

Yeah, I wen't with the max ELC $$$ I believe. Not sure how Granlund got so much money on an ELC with the Wild, but they have one of the worst GM's in the league, so... .9 mil is the norm for young guys signing.

FYI, Sproul and Ouellet are already signed. $925k each, ELC max with no bonuses.

Granlund's salary is only $900k. He just has potential bonuses pumping up his cap hit.