thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Wow, was that Alexander O'Forsberg?

#22 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Long term contract / no motivation / lost his "edge" / becoming soft.

I said a long time ago, I am going to curse the coach that makes him change his game and backcheck. A guy like this was a wild stallion, a scoring machine who loves to score. Let him do it.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#23 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Milbury says some dumb stuff, but I best remember him as the only guy on the NBC roster who is willing to criticize Crosby.

But then you also must remember that he was forced to apologize for his criticism in near-record time.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#24 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

he def fell off from what he use to be

#25 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Mike Milbury went to Toothpaste U? i did not know that.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#26 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Ovie needs to be traded.  To me, this looks a lot like Patrick Roy in his final days in Montreal.  He was great for awhile, then he started to decline, everyone said he was washed up and a change of scenery really helped put his career back on track.  I think the same would happen to Ovie.  Trade him to a Western Conference team and watch him re-ignite.  The question is who can and is willing to absorb that huge contract with him playing this badly.  He's a $9.5 mil cap hit per year till 2021.  That's a lot of money for one player in a salary cap league and for him to not be playing like an MVP, he'll be tough to move. 

#27 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Will the Caps buy him out?

I'm sure he would love to play with Pav

#28 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Everybody on the Caps fell off from what they used to be after they stopped playing a run and gun style.

#29 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Alexei Yashin? Is that you?

I bet Ovechkin is just fooling everyone. That way he can get bought out by the Caps, and get a nice lofty paycheck from Washington for several years while making $10mil+ tax free in the KHL. Must be nice to work a job where you can make millions of dollars even after you get fired...

#30 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Milbury says some dumb stuff, but I best remember him as the only guy on the NBC roster who is willing to criticize Crosby.

I best remember him as the only guy to hit a fan with a shoe.

Although he's right here.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ovechkin has 8 more years on his contract at $9.5 mill a year.  At that price a buyout or trade seems unlikely, at least for Detroit (hopefully). 

If he takes nights off like this now, imagine how he'll be in 5 years.  I've criticized Franzen for lack of effort, but I've never seen him do anything close to that. 

#32 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I honestly think that if you made a Top 10 of the NHL's most ridiculous dives, Ovechkin's embellishment on that hit would be high on the list.  It was that embarrassing.  

I always thought that his performance would taper off with age, since nobody can play with that kind of physical reckless abandon for an entire career, but he's already a shadow of his former self.  I hope that he can become that dynamic player again because I'd much rather watch him flying into the offensive zone like a train off its rails than to see the wreckage that he is right now.

#33 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

"INEXCEPTABLE!!!" hahaha

#34 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Mike Milbury went to Toothpaste U? i did not know that.

Yep, along with Stanley CUp champion Andy McDonald whom I had the pleasure to watch during his college years.

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I honestly think that if you made a Top 10 of the NHL's most ridiculous dives, Ovechkin's embellishment on that hit would be high on the list.  It was that embarrassing.  

I always thought that his performance would taper off with age, since nobody can play with that kind of physical reckless abandon for an entire career, but he's already a shadow of his former self.  I hope that he can become that dynamic player again because I'd much rather watch him flying into the offensive zone like a train off its rails than to see the wreckage that he is right now.

I actually think the one where he gets hit near centre ice in the playoffs and falls down holding his face was worse (there was no contact anywhere near his head).

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

In the Winnipeg game on the NHL network they ripped Ovechkin again in between periods, along with more highlights of him dogging it.  

He's basically circling around waiting for someone to give him the puck half the time.  

#37 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Luongo & Raymond for Ovechkin.  Put him on the Sedin line and watch history be made...for a season or two anyway.

Edit:  And in Vancouver, his diving won't stand out as much.

Edited by T.Low, 02 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#38 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Steroids/No Steroids. So obvious.

I'm more inclined to think it's hot Russian tennis player fiance who may be distracting him.

#39 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

ovie is my favorite player. But this is a joke. He is/was the best offensive player in hockey he wasn't good at defense. But that was when he tried....I don't care if your team is horrible lack of effort is inexcusable for anybody.

One of my favorite quotes from him was about sindey crybaby. He said he would be all right if he would shut the **** up and play hockey....needless to say his dive was crosby-like. Makes me sad ;(

It works for the Sid the Kid and the Penguins. Every player should start pulling off antics like that until they start calling it on everybody.

I don't blame the players but the league for allowing it. It is an unfair advantage for the players doing it and getting away with it

Edited by Johnz96, 09 April 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#40 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

He really didn't fall off, he is playing on a team that is more defensive now. Playing more defensively will lead to less scoring, less scoring isn't as much for fun Ovie and he is at his best when he is loving it. Less scoring will also lead to less confidence scoring.
That being said, with 5 goals in his last 2 games he is currently tied for the league lead in goals.
I would love to see him on the Wings.