• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

NBC needs to give Milbury his own "segment show' during the broadcasts; it would be good for ratings.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Another one for Ovie tonight, very nice.  This is what a shooter can do for you.  Guy is unreal. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Another one for Ovie tonight, very nice.  This is what a shooter can do for you.  Guy is unreal. 

It was so funny reading people's analysis of why he sucks now from a couple of weeks ago (I was trying to find that thread but coudn't). 
He leads the league in goals now all by himself

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Gaborik just had a goal too.  That's five points in three games for him with Columbus.  Must be nice. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

It was so funny reading people's analysis of why he sucks now from a couple of weeks ago (I was trying to find that thread but coudn't). 
He leads the league in goals now all by himself

Stamkos got 1 tonight too.  Tied at 26.  Gonna be exciting down the wire for the next 9 games.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#46 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

They might be giving another one to Ovie.  He was screening the goalie and it looked like he tipped it but  they gave it to the defenseman initially.  Announcers called it for Ovechkin and thought it would probably be reviewed. 

#47 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Credit to Ovie for turning it around. This is good for the league, I say. Crosby needs a rival!

#48 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Credit to Ovie for turning it around. This is good for the league, I say. Crosby needs a rival!

Turn it around? I pointed out in that thread where people expressing their opinions on why he sucks now that he was still on a 40 goal pace over 82 games at the time and that the Capitals play a different style now compared to when he was scoring 60 goals+ a season. He has scored more goals than any Wing every season.
He really didn't just fall off, he is playing on a team that is more defensive now. Playing more defensively will lead to less scoring, less scoring isn't as much for fun Ovie and he is at his best when he is loving it. Less scoring will also lead to less confidence scoring.

And as far as the diving is concerned, I don't blame the players but the league for not enforcing it. It is an unfair advantage for the players doing it and getting away with it. If Datsyuk and Zetterberg were to take advantage of this we probably would have a few more wins although I am glad that they don't.

#49 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

He's back on the juice. Just like Tiger Woods.

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

He jumped on the ice and stabbed Ovechkin with his own skate.

I was there.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Crosby has one on his own team.

Malkin>crosby

#52 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

It is so funny the whole Crosby:Ovechkin thing was never a rivalry to begin with, just something the media tried to create and they've failed miserably to do so. One of the best rivalries will always be Pittsburgh versus Philadelphia and not Pittsburgh versus Washington.

As far as Crosby competitors there are guys named Stamkos, Malkin, Toews (I hate to say it but this guy reminds me so much of Stevie) its not even funny

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 April 2013 - 12:25 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

It is so funny the whole Crosby:Ovechkin thing was never a rivalry to begin with, just something the media tried to create and they've failed miserably to do so. One of the best rivalries will always be Pittsburgh versus Philadelphia and not Pittsburgh versus Washington.

As far as Crosby competitors there are guys named Stamkos, Malkin, Toews (I hate to say it but this guy reminds me so much of Stevie) its not even funny

Sure it's a rivalry, both came into the league in the same year.  Both high end talents.  And both playing in the east.  The only thing that makes me wonder about the merits of the rivalry is that Ovechkin was more durable, scored more, and didn't cry as much.  Say what you want about Sid and his ring, but if you hold hockey players to the Gordie Howe or Steve Yzerman standard then Ovechkin wins that rivalry hands down. 

Edited by kipwinger, 11 April 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#54 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Sure it's a rivalry, both came into the league in the same year.  Both high end talents.  And both playing in the east.  The only thing that makes me wonder about the merits of the rivalry is that Ovechkin was more durable, scored more, and didn't cry as much.  Say what you want about Sid and his ring, but if you hold hockey players to the Gordie Howe or Steve Yzerman standard then Ovechkin wins that rivalry hands down. 

Oh please. That's the most ludicrous thing I've seen. Crosby is not as good of a scorer, not as good of a physical presence, and not as durable. But every other conceivable attribute is in Crosby's favor, he plays a two way center game(Is he a Selke candidate? No, not yet at least but his responsibility on the defensive end is just miles above what Ovechkin is asked to do. Crosby take absolutely no nights off, Ovechkin takes weeks off when not being productive with points. Crosby has an over .20 PPG difference, how is it even a question who is better offensively really?

Crosby is 4th all-time in point per game right behind Bossy, during this one of the lowest scoring eras. I mean give me a break, and is .20+ ahead of anyone currently in the league.

Oh and add that Olympic gold medal to the ring too, and don't forget who clinched the victory.

Ovechkin is a great player, but Crosby has separated himself from him since Ovechkin's prime in 07-10 where there was actually a debate. I hope Ovechkin regains his 60+ goal form, he is a great talent and fun to watch. But Crosby is also fun to watch, and I just don't understand how supposed hockey fans can pass over the opportunity to watch one of the greatest players to ever play the game grow as a hockey player, it's a once in the life time opportunity and it's just sad to me. Because as a hockey player my whole life, Crosby is and will be the best player I'll ever watch live, and that's something that I will cherish. There isn't a Gretzky, and Howe in every era, but we are lucky enough to be experiencing one of those type players and it's a shame people don't care about the actually game when it comes to Crosby.

And don't forget how cheap Ovechkin is, he's been suspended, and has countless of at the very least questionable hits. If the Red Wings fans think Backes is cheap, I'd love to see how they would react when Ovechkin would have ran Lidstrom like he did Gonchar, or Gleason,

Let me refresh your mind, this video doesn't even include his suspension and cheapshots from the past 5 years.

#55 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Oh please. That's the most ludicrous thing I've seen. Crosby is not as good of a scorer, not as good of a physical presence, and not as durable. But every other conceivable attribute is in Crosby's favor, he plays a two way center game(Is he a Selke candidate? No, not yet at least but his responsibility on the defensive end is just miles above what Ovechkin is asked to do. Crosby take absolutely no nights off, Ovechkin takes weeks off when not being productive with points. Crosby has an over .20 PPG difference, how is it even a question who is better offensively really?

Crosby is 4th all-time in point per game right behind Bossy, during this one of the lowest scoring eras. I mean give me a break, and is .20+ ahead of anyone currently in the league.

Oh and add that Olympic gold medal to the ring too, and don't forget who clinched the victory.

Ovechkin is a great player, but Crosby has separated himself from him since Ovechkin's prime in 07-10 where there was actually a debate. I hope Ovechkin regains his 60+ goal form, he is a great talent and fun to watch. But Crosby is also fun to watch, and I just don't understand how supposed hockey fans can pass over the opportunity to watch one of the greatest players to ever play the game grow as a hockey player, it's a once in the life time opportunity and it's just sad to me. Because as a hockey player my whole life, Crosby is and will be the best player I'll ever watch live, and that's something that I will cherish. There isn't a Gretzky, and Howe in every era, but we are lucky enough to be experiencing one of those type players and it's a shame people don't care about the actually game when it comes to Crosby.

And don't forget how cheap Ovechkin is, he's been suspended, and has countless of at the very least questionable hits. If the Red Wings fans think Backes is cheap, I'd love to see how they would react when Ovechkin would have ran Lidstrom like he did Gonchar, or Gleason,

Let me refresh your mind, this video doesn't even include his suspension and cheapshots from the past 5 years.

I don't even see how we can begin to compare Crosby and Ovechkin.  They're completely different players.  Crosby is better all around, but Ovechkin is the superior goal scorer.  Stamkos and Malkin would also have to be in the mix and I agree with the Toews being nominated to that group as well.  As much as I dislike Crosby and Malkin, the list of guys above is what makes the NHL so competitive and exciting.  Dats is up there obviously, I figured that wen't without saying.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#56 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Crosby is a great player and works very hard to be. People don't like him because of his character.

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Well hating Crosby is nice and ok but in terms of raw talent, work ethic and leadership he deserves a lot of credit and yes, he easily seperated himself from Ovechkin (great goalscorer but thats about it).

His competitors are like mentioned, Malkin, Toews and Stamkos.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#58 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well hating Crosby is nice and ok but in terms of raw talent, work ethic and leadership he deserves a lot of credit and yes, he easily seperated himself from Ovechkin (great goalscorer but thats about it).

His competitors are like mentioned, Malkin, Toews and Stamkos.

Ovechkin is a great goal scorer and a big, strong, physical presence.

#59 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

His competitors are like mentioned, Malkin, Toews Datsyuk and Stamkos.

Fixed.

Edited by Zetts, 11 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't think it's as clear cut as you guys are making it seem. 

1.  In five on five play: Crosby has 427 assists to Ovechkin's 358.  Meaning Crosby assists roughly 17% more often than Ovechkin.  Conversely Oveckin scored 365 goals to Crosby's 238, for a difference of roughly 35%.  So Ovechkin's a 35% better scorer and Crosby's a 17% better passer.

2.  Power play:  Assists (Crosby 186, Ovechkin 151) so again Crosby's a roughly 19% better PP passer.  Goals (Ovechkin 125, Crosby 70) so Ovechkin's a 46% better scorer on the PP.

3.  Ovechkin averages more ice time and has played more games.  So he's more durable and less prone to injury.

4.  Neither have played significant PK time, and neither have been recognized in any way for their defensive play.

5.  Ovechkin is more clutch, having more than twice as many game winning goals. 

6.  Ovechkin has taken fewer penalties in over 100 more games. 

7.  Ovechkin hits more, has fewer giveaways, more takeaways.  Crosby has slightly more blocked shots and is obviously better at faceoffs.

8.  Ovechkin is dirtier in the sense that he questionably hits people a lot.  Crosby dives more and is known for cross checking.  So I'd say it's a wash. 

So in summary, Crosby passes better (but less than 20% better) while Ovechkin scores better (over 35% better).  Ovechkin plays much more often in both games played and time one ice.  Ovechkin hits more, takes the puck away more, and turns it over less.  Crosby is better in the faceoff circle and has a marginal leg up in blocked shots.  Neither is notable for their defense (except that Crosby has fewer take aways), and neither is any dirtier than the other guy. 

Edited by kipwinger, 11 April 2013 - 11:53 AM.