• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Not sure, but won't the deadline be pushed back because of Sochi? I'm not sure on this one, but I think I read it somewhere.

It very well might, though I thought the NHL still hasn't committed to Sochi?

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#22 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

It very well might, though I thought the NHL still hasn't committed to Sochi?

They will, its virtually guaranteed. Bettman just wants to see if he can squeeze some money out of a deal or not. 

#23 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

They will, its virtually guaranteed. Bettman just wants to see if he can squeeze some money out of a deal or not. 

I agree that it's inevitable. Just was making sure that they hasn't officially agreed to play in Sochi.

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#24 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

Avs matched and honestly it's no surprise. They wanted to keep him regardless of him not wanting to stay. Let's see what happens in a year shall we...

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

On Avs matching O'Reilly offer, one industry source believes it's a given they'll trade him a year from now.

#26 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Really no surprise that the Avs matched it. Avs didn't want to let him go for nothing, so I could see him being traded next year.

IPB Image

#27 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

On Avs matching O'Reilly offer, one industry source believes it's a given they'll trade him a year from now.

This seems like a huge gamble for Colorado... What if he doesn't produce over the next year? No team will want to trade for him if he isn't producing, knowing that in order to retain his rights they have to give him a $6.5mil offer. If that ends up being the case, they would've been better off trading his rights earlier this season or taking the draft picks from Calgary.

Either way, O'Reilly wins. He'll face two possibilities after next season:

1. Guaranteed to make $6.5mil a season

2. Become a 23Y/O UFA

Edited by DSM, 01 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#28 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Really no surprise that the Avs matched it. Avs didn't want to let him go for nothing, so I could see him being traded next year.

While I'm not surprised, and my first thought was that they would match, a 1st and a 3rd (especially what should be mid-round or higher in a suposedly deep draft) is hardly "nothing". I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have to settle for less if and when they do trade him. That QO number is going to drive his value down, and he's already proven to be difficult. Any sophomore slump and they'll be lucky to get a 2nd.

#29 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Apparently O'Reilly would have had to pass through waivers before joining the Flames.

So this was basically the dumbest move ever by a GM.

#30 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Apparently O'Reilly would have had to pass through waivers before joining the Flames.

Which one?  LOL.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

"This was a goal of ours from the outset, to get Ryan signed, and that goal was completed today," Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman said. "With the support, I can tell you, of our ownership – not only today but throughout this process – we have come to terms with Ryan O'Reilly and now we move forward as a hockey club.

"Given the time frame that we moved on this, I think it's pretty clear what our objective was. We moved very quickly and efficiently to go ahead and make the decision to match the offer. We're happy to have him under contract."

"[The goal to sign O'Reilly] never changed," Sherman said. "Sometimes that process takes a little longer than you would expect or would want, but ultimately today he's staying with the Colorado Avalanche. It was our goal from Day One. To get Ryan back in an Avalanche uniform and get him back on the ice as soon as possible, we're certainly pleased to have that be the case.

If your goal is to ultimately sign him... and you're willing to pay him $5+ (which is what O'Reilly wanted) because you think he's worth it...  Then WHY NOT PAY HIM THAT?? 

No, let's be shrewd and have another team sign him to an offer sheet that can handcuff us further than the $5 million/per.  Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I don't care what the perception is around the league or in the dressing room about how quickly the Avs matched that sheet. It's so obvious that O'Reilly had Sherman by the balls the entire time and HEY! would you look at that?! 

He got what he wanted and more. 

Feaster and O'Reilly are both in a sinking life-raft when it comes to job security. 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Anyone still think we'll re-sign Brunner for $2M and Flip for $3.5?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 gurnsy200

gurnsy200

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Had Colorado NOT matched the offer sheet Calgary would have paid a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and THEN O'Reilly would have cleared waivers due to playing 2 games in the KHL in January.  Basically Calgary may have paid a 1st and a 3rd for someone else to get him, which would have been hilarious!

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Had Colorado NOT matched the offer sheet Calgary would have paid a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, and THEN O'Reilly would have cleared waivers due to playing 2 games in the KHL in January.  Basically Calgary may have paid a 1st and a 3rd for someone else to get him, which would have been hilarious!

there is no re-entry waivers anymore, they got rid of that in this latest cba

#34 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

He would have in the old CBA, but the rules were modified in the new CBA so only UFA's have to clear waivers not RFA's

Edit - I guess the writer who wrote this was wrong, Bill Daly confirmed that indeed O'Reilly would have had to clear waivers meaning he'd probably be a Blue Jacket.

Edited by FlashyG, 01 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#35 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Anyone still think we'll re-sign Brunner for $2M and Flip for $3.5?

Think... no.  Hope and Pray... yes.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#36 gurnsy200

gurnsy200

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

there is no re-entry waivers anymore, they got rid of that in this latest cba

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Here's the story on it.  And yes Bill Daly is the one that stated he'd have to clear waivers.

EDIT: Euro_twins you are correct in saying the CBA fixed that but only for a team's own RFA's playing in Europe.  He can now go directly into Colorado's lineup.

Edited by gurnsy200, 01 March 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#37 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Brian Burke and Garth Snow would like to talk to you.

• Nev likes this
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#38 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Here's the story on it.  And yes Bill Daly is the one that stated he'd have to clear waivers.

EDIT: Euro_twins you are correct in saying the CBA fixed that but only for a team's own RFA's playing in Europe.  He can now go directly into Colorado's lineup.

interesting... so they always leave loopholes on purpose, or....?

#39 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

So Calgary would have lost the 1st and 3rd round picks to "sign" a player they then would have lost on waivers anyway?  Yikes.

#40 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Colorado matching was the best-case scenario for the Flames, and it's still worse than not making the offer at all as they've now given a division rival one of their best players back. And people here complain about Kenny...