• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Dumbest rule ever. Just more powerplays for the sake of powerplays. They need to at least modify the rule to be about the free hand. In the case of the game the night, Pavel still had both hands on the stick, fell down in the scrum and sweeping at the puck, it hit his glove.

That play was not in the spirit of the rule, caused a 5-on-3, and destroyed what was great competition to that point in the game. A penalty like that does not belong in hockey.

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is just a dumb rule and is another reason why the modern game of hockey pails in comparison to hockey back in the day, just 10 years ago for example. There is no reason for this rule other than to try to let the officials control more of the game.

Way back in the day. 2002. Ha!!

#23 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

It has certainly been called fairly routinely around the league.  I don't remember the team and player involved in the first one, but I believe it cost that team the game as well.

I don't like the rule, but I can't say it's the "dumbest" 2-minute penalty in the game - that honor would probably go to the shoot out of play in the defensive zone penalty, or the trapezoid rule.  (Question here: Has any goalie actually ever been called for the trapezoid rule?  I've never seen one since they put the rule in after the 05' lockout, but it's pretty ridiculous watching goalies try to dodge it with nobody around).

You can see arguments for this one.  It could be a safety thing for hands and wrists (much like the no kicking rule in the goal crease).  But it's probably more to avoid faceoffs becoming a rugby match where you have centers that aren't even trying to win a draw with skill. 

Yes.  I've seen it on a few occasions.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30