Photo
- - - - -

Babs on last night's D: "...best we've had all year."

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Babs is going with the same 6 on D versus the Hawks on Sunday. 3 straight scratches for White. I wonder if he'll keep silent if that

run gets to 6 or 7 games? Writing looks very close to that wall now

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#62 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Makes me wonder if there's more the the story than we're privy to.  Last year Babs has a love affair with Ian White.  This year Babs won't keep the same defensive pairings for 3 shifts, let alone three games.  Then, White of all people is the odd man out when Babs finally does decided on a group to stick with.  And White is obviously pissed off about it. 

I wonder if there wasn't a locker room conflict or something.  This seems too sudden and acrimonious to be a case where White was simply played out of his roster spot by Lashoff and Kindl. 

Edited by kipwinger, 02 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#63 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

i think the term Bab, likes the Big body guys he has on the D, could have something to do with it. Kronner isnt the biggest but he has an offensive output and can hit like Vladdy, well almost as good. but Whites points have almost vanished and he aint gunna get any taller sometime soon!! 

The Wings could soon have a Defensive corp all over 6' and that'll be a first for a very long time.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#64 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

the thing is, Ericsson and Kindl are almost the same players just 3 years apart. Kindl just turned 26 and today is Ericsson's 29th B day. To date Ericsson has played 250 games in the NHL and Kindl has played 120. Career points are 53 for ericsson and 22 for Kindl. Both are +8 for their careers. I mentioned on another thread that for whatever reason Dmen seem to develop a little later. Most don't seem to hit their stride untill their late 20's. But they also tend to play later in life-late 30's is common.

As for White, I think he is gone soon, baring another rash of injuries. I think it is pretty clear he was carried by Nicky last year, which was his career year for the most part.

I like Huskins as the 7th. A cheap veteran with the younger guys. Cola can also go any time.......

#65 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Probably because plus minus doesn't mean much of anything. 

If he keeps playing like he has the last couple games though, people will come around. 

What about you? Have you come around on Kindl?

#66 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Huskins is a shutdown guy who can get physical, we saw that when he played in Anaheim.  I'd keep him as a 7th.

Quincey plays best when he's got some motivation to get physical.  Perhaps Smith gives that to him.  Remember the first year Quincey was playing here before he was let go?  He was wrecking into people and making these boards excited (how dare he!)  If Brendan Smith is giving him the spark to get it in gear and go hit someone and stand up at the blue or even red line, damn skippy then eh?

Coca-Covo, I haven't seen enough of his work to make a good decision.  Been injured all year.

Whitey, Whitey, Whitey.....tsk tsk.  Such high hopes given your offensive work in SJ and TOR.  Son, I am Dissapoint.  If White doesn't pull a rabbit out of his ass, writing's on the wall.  Trade him for a pick.  or a puck bag.  We'll even throw in a coney dog.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#67 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,923 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

What about you? Have you come around on Kindl?

If he continues to play well and hold a roster spot, absolutely.  

I was excited at the possibility of the Wings having two big puck moving D men in Kindl and Ericsson.  E as the stay at home guy with a good first pass and Kindl as the more offensive guy.  

Like I said he's always had skills.  But he's lacked consistency and a willingness to play physically, not only dishing out hits but taking them in order to make the good play instead of just throwing it up the glass. 

It's easy to forget that Kindl is 6'3 216 lbs.  That's as big or bigger than anyone on the blueline except Ericsson and Huskins.  And by the roster stats he actually outweighs Huskins. 

The Wings finally have size on the blueline and if these guys play like they should, they won't get pushed around by anyone around the net. 

#68 heyfolks

heyfolks

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Kronwall

Ericsson

Smith

Quincey

Kindl

Lashoff

As said, all drafted, or signed as an undrafted player by the Wings.  Q went through the system but did not clear waivers after being sent down with a bad back (Kings claimed him).  Only 1 player is over 30 and that same player is the only one under 6'2".  If you throw a few rocsk in Smith's pocket, he is also the only one under 200 lbs.

Kindl - He was caught up in a bit of a transitional trap, with players in front of him, no roster spots and going through the GR system when it was in a transition.  Babcock wanted a different style game from him and it sucked the confidence out of his play.  As said, he has been solid the past two games, but the hot and cold must end.  This group could be a really good, really deep 6.  I certainly wouldn't move him  for Cola or huskins to keep a spot. 

White - self centered and soft.  Jettison the guy.

Huskins - slow and unimpressive.  He is #7 fodder.

Cola - Potential is why you buy IPO stock for a dime, not keep a fragile player in the toughest collision sport on Earth. 

#69 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

+/- does mean something. Its kind of like BA in baseball. They both do have meaning and can represent whether or not a player is good or bad. But there is other stats that have more meaning.

To say +/- means nothing is plain ignorant. But it doesn't mean everything either.

#70 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Ericsson has become a beaut, can't rave enough about his play this year. But Kindl... I don't care if he's still developing, he doesn't belong on NHL ice right now.

That is a ridiculously stupid comment.  Kindl is an NHL defenseman.

#71 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

If he continues to play well and hold a roster spot, absolutely.  

I was excited at the possibility of the Wings having two big puck moving D men in Kindl and Ericsson.  E as the stay at home guy with a good first pass and Kindl as the more offensive guy.  

Like I said he's always had skills.  But he's lacked consistency and a willingness to play physically, not only dishing out hits but taking them in order to make the good play instead of just throwing it up the glass. 

It's easy to forget that Kindl is 6'3 216 lbs.  That's as big or bigger than anyone on the blueline except Ericsson and Huskins.  And by the roster stats he actually outweighs Huskins. 

The Wings finally have size on the blueline and if these guys play like they should, they won't get pushed around by anyone around the net. 

I agree.

#72 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

+/- does mean something. Its kind of like BA in baseball. They both do have meaning and can represent whether or not a player is good or bad. But there is other stats that have more meaning.

To say +/- means nothing is plain ignorant. But it doesn't mean everything either.

I would compare it to RBIs in that its somewhat circumstantial. Both are based, in part, on overall team performance and situational play.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#73 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ericsson has become a beaut, can't rave enough about his play this year.

He has been great. Those two giveaways against the Sharks constituted the only brainfarts I've seen from him this season. He has been playing excellent defense aside from that, and he is finally using his size; he doesn't lay down big hits, but he routinely overpowers players along the boards. And his offensive game hasn't yet reached its full potency, so we still have more to see from him.

#74 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

He has been great. Those two giveaways against the Sharks constituted the only brainfarts I've seen from him this season. He has been playing excellent defense aside from that, and he is finally using his size; he doesn't lay down big hits, but he routinely overpowers players along the boards. And his offensive game hasn't yet reached its full potency, so we still have more to see from him.

Spot on. He just looks plain solid out there. His defensive instincts have really matured.

With his size I would love to see his offense get better. Could end up with a helluva slap shot, and could be another guy who knows how to pinch in the O-zone.

That is a ridiculously stupid comment.  Kindl is an NHL defenseman.

Well as long as we're calling other peoples opinions "stupid comments", I think your opinion is a... "stupid comment"

The stupid mistakes and dumb penalties he takes drive me crazy. IMO White and Quincey should have his shifts. Yeah I said it. White & Quincey.

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

the thing is, Ericsson and Kindl are almost the same players just 3 years apart. Kindl just turned 26 and today is Ericsson's 29th B day. To date Ericsson has played 250 games in the NHL and Kindl has played 120. Career points are 53 for ericsson and 22 for Kindl. Both are +8 for their careers. I mentioned on another thread that for whatever reason Dmen seem to develop a little later. Most don't seem to hit their stride untill their late 20's. But they also tend to play later in life-late 30's is common.

As for White, I think he is gone soon, baring another rash of injuries. I think it is pretty clear he was carried by Nicky last year, which was his career year for the most part.

I like Huskins as the 7th. A cheap veteran with the younger guys. Cola can also go any time.......

So because Kindl has played half as much as Ericsson and has half the points and the same +/-, they are essentially the same player? Give me a break, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard

#76 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Its an interesting D-corps we have now, and certainly one that is developing an identity - an identity I haven't seen in 20 years of watching the Wings.  They block shots, they punish forwards along the boards, and most of all - they make the opponents pay a price in front of our net.  For 20 years I've been watching opponents give our goalies a snow shower every time they freeze the puck whilst our D-Men stand around and do nothing.  Not now, every opportunity, they are knocking guys on their ass, and I love it.  Even Kindl is using his size!

The downside of this, is that this is by far the worst puck moving D-corps I have seen in Detroit.  Its brutally painfull watching us trying to break out of our zone at times as the forwards find the puck in their skates, or it gets turned over at the blue-line.  We've also gotten a lot worse at keeping the puck in at the opponents blue-line, but then again Lidstrom was maybe the best ever at doing that.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#77 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

i dont understand why we cant have both offense and defense.

its either a 6-5 game or a 2-1 game 

#78 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thought Brunner really stepped up his physical play and defense today as well. As Babs likes to say...he really competed every shift

#79 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

So because Kindl has played half as much as Ericsson and has half the points and the same +/-, they are essentially the same player? Give me a break, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard

I was talking that they are the same overall. Just 3 years and thus the difference in totals to date. Go back and look at Ericsson at 26. Kindl is better than that. 3 years from now he will be equal or greater than Ericsson. Now maybe I didn't make that clear all in one post, but if you would read things, that was what I was saying.

Over the last 5 games we have given up 0, 3, 2, 1, and 1 goals. The D and Jimmy are playing great! Now if we could score some more we would be all set. But that is going to take some changes. We just don't have enough scorers on the team or in the system at higher levels. But that is another topic.

#80 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Defense was really great tonight. All we lacked was any kind of sustained offensive pressure. We were constantly pushed back, too tired to attack, made it a constant barrage against our D, which survived in a great way. 

Howard was really good, but imo this was just as much the defense making him look good. He had some questionable rebounds that we cleared, we managed to get sticks on Hawks players that would have had almost open nets, we didn't screen or let anyone else screen Howard, etc.